Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Cynarina

I got a cynarina via fed ex and it wasn't in the best shape. Some of the outer skeleton was visable but the septa around the center did go all around. I placed it on the bottom and the septa did inflate a bit but seemed to inflate less each day so I moved it up to mid tank. Now the septa really blows up very big. The color changed from a kelly green to sort of a dingy green. The skeleton is getting covered more but it is still open along the outer edges. Have not tried feeding it yet. I have T5 lighting. 96w in a 24 gallon.
Any suggestions.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Send a Private Message
I finally got around to feeding it. When I put the food (chopped up silversides) in the center it just seemd to sink in. The mouth did not open but the food goes in somehow. I will try to get a picture of it. Now the center is a rusty brown and the septa a dark green. At night when the septa deflate the green is almost a kelly green.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (110 (100%)
Friends: (136)
Send a Private Message
Hi Sam...Cynarina should always be placed on the sand bed due to the delicate nature of the coral. The tissue can easily tear as they inflate if you place them on the rock.
Spot feeding is excellent and necessary in this coral.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Send a Private Message
But it wasn't doing well on the bottom so I put it up. Same story for that big open brain. I just made sure they don't come in contact with any rock.
Here are some pictures of the tank and the cynarina. Also picture of my new open brain and Welso at the bottom right.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 PM
SPS KING
Reefer Ratings: (81 (99%)
Friends: (38)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by basiab View Post
I finally got around to feeding it. When I put the food (chopped up silversides) in the center it just seemd to sink in. The mouth did not open but the food goes in somehow. I will try to get a picture of it. Now the center is a rusty brown and the septa a dark green. At night when the septa deflate the green is almost a kelly green.
Use squid or shrimp...no bone in them like silversides
Old 08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by kres1024 View Post
Use squid or shrimp...no bone in them like silversides
How do you know? I chop/mash the silversides. When I put some in the center of the Cynarina it just sank in. Have no idea how that works but the mouth did not open it just went in.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:14 PM
SPS KING
Reefer Ratings: (81 (99%)
Friends: (38)
Send a Private Message
Chopping up the silverside is fine also I just find it easier using squid or shrimp no bone to deal with just snip a little piece of and feed..also cheaper getting it at the fish market than silver sides
Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (58)
Send a Private Message
just wondeing if that is hair algae growing in the back pane..maybe your phosphates are high.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke62 View Post
just wondeing if that is hair algae growing in the back pane..maybe your phosphates are high.
It is a very strange hair algae and easy to clean out. It only grows on the plastic in the tank like the back and the nozzels. I let it go some times just to give the pods a nice place to grow. But it cleans off very easy. Actually now it is almost all gone. I think my snails got hungry or my blenny decided he likes it. I also have a cyano problem. If you look close on some pictures you can see some spots of it. Right now it is fairly controlled but there is more there than I would like. I started using Special Blend in May and it is much improved so maybe that is helping.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
A Newbie to the Reef Game
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (14)
Send a Private Message My Facebook View DJYoshi's Twitter Profile
I would agree with Kathy...all of the coral in that donut category have delicate "flesh" if you will and can tear killing it.... but then again..Kathy what's your take on it since he doesn't have a sand bed??? looks like gravel?!

Official DJ Rutgers Football
Sound of the 2011 NY Jets
Monster Cable DJ -> www.djyoshi.com/monster
www.djyoshi.com