Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I have a 6 stage RO/DI. The DI is not refillable. I want to add a vertical mount, refillable DI chamber.

The two items above (in my previous post), I think will do that (one includes the DI resin).
However, you have listed the following as well:

REEF CENTRAL Special - $18.00 2.5 lbs (two refills of standard 2.5 inch by 10 inch vertical housing) color-changing mixed bed, nuclear-grade DI resin.

AND:

Color changing mixed bed DI resin cartridge, refillable - $18.00 This mixed bed deionization resin cartridge is refillable, and comes filled with nuclear grade resin that changes color as it exhausts. Fits standard 10" housings.

My question is, the RC special, does it come in a cartridge like the 2nd one above? If not, do I need the cartridge or does the DI resin go directly into the housing?

I believe the following will be EVERYTHING I need (I don't want to buy a duplicate cartridge).

Add on DI kit with color changing resin - $38.00 Couple this with your existing RO unit for ultra-pure water! Comes with clear housing, refillable mixed bed color changing resin cartridge, mounting bracket, screws, and two 1/4" straight quick connect fittings.

10' x 1/4 inch OD tubing, blue - $0.15

Russ, thanks for your patience.

Russ

Russ - Sorry - I did miss your post. Sounds like your order is just right. You'll end up with an add-on housing mounted to its own bracket, with tubing and fittings, and a filled, refillable DI housing.

Russ @ BFS

Last edited:

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
We have about $320 in orders right now and we need about $180 more before this order happens. Let me know if you need anything. Thanks

-Steve

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Here's what I need:

REEF CENTRAL Special - $18.00 2.5 lbs (two refills of standard 2.5 inch by 10 inch vertical housing) color-changing mixed bed, nuclear-grade DI resin.

Float valve, adjustable - $14.90

Will add the following to the order pending testing at home and answers to following questions.

75 gpd Filmtec RO membrane - $45.00
1x Carbon block cartridge - The Chlorine Guzzler - $10.99
1x 2-pack, Sediment Cartridge, 1 Micron - $7.50

Will the resin change color even if it is not in use? There is water in the housing when I'm not making water.
What configuration is everyone using with the prefilters?

Carbon block ---> 1 micron Sediment ---> 1 micron Sediment ---> RO membrane ---> DI

The ebay unit I have came with 5M SEDIMENTARY --> ONE GAC CARBON --> 1 5M CARBON BLOCK --> RO --> DI (probably not the best configuration)

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Here's what I need:

Will add the following to the order pending testing at home and answers to following questions.

Will the resin change color even if it is not in use? There is water in the housing when I'm not making water.

Carbon block ---> 1 micron Sediment ---> 1 micron Sediment ---> RO membrane ---> DI

The ebay unit I have came with 5M SEDIMENTARY --> ONE GAC CARBON --> 1 5M CARBON BLOCK --> RO --> DI (probably not the best configuration)

The resin won't change color when not being used. It is customary to have water in the DI housing when the unit is off.

A configuration with a 1 mic sediment filter, 0.6 micron Chlorine Guzzler, RO membrane, vertical DI housing will work well in most situations. If you have excessively hard water or lots of sediment, we may want to change the configuration a bit. We'd change it if you have chloramines as well.

Russ @ BFS

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The resin won't change color when not being used. It is customary to have water in the DI housing when the unit is off.

A configuration with a 1 mic sediment filter, 0.6 micron Chlorine Guzzler, RO membrane, vertical DI housing will work well in most situations. If you have excessively hard water or lots of sediment, we may want to change the configuration a bit. We'd change it if you have chloramines as well.

Russ @ BFS

Thanks Russ,
Another question, since I have 3 housing's excluding the RO membrane and DI housing should I use 1 mic sediment filter, 1 mic sediment filter, 0.6 micron Chlorine Guzzler, then RO then DI? Or should the first housing be a larger micron size? Any benefit to this or should I just not use 1 of the housings? Can the extra housing be used to hold more DI resin and what would I need this, ie: refillable DI cartridge. The filters should go from larger to smaller, correct?

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Here's what I need:

did you decide on what you wanted? lmk

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Thanks Russ,
Another question, since I have 3 housing's excluding the RO membrane and DI housing should I use 1 mic sediment filter, 1 mic sediment filter, 0.6 micron Chlorine Guzzler, then RO then DI? Or should the first housing be a larger micron size? Any benefit to this or should I just not use 1 of the housings? Can the extra housing be used to hold more DI resin and what would I need this, ie: refillable DI cartridge. The filters should go from larger to smaller, correct?

Unless you have lots of problems with heavy sediment load (which you may have based on the post above) two sediment filters is probably overkill. With a heavy sedimetn load you could go with a 5 mic sediment followed by a 1 mic sediment.

Filters should go from large pore size to smaller for the sediment filters, and not much smaller for the carbon block - you don't want your carbon block being plugged with sediment.

If you don't have a heavy sediment load and want to use all three housings, go with a i mic sediment filter followed by two carbon filters. Use 1 GAC and 1 block if you have pressure problems, otherwise two blocks is ok.

If you are comfortable dis-assembling your system a bit, you could use that third housing for DI resin. You can' imagine how much work we end up getting re-configuring the ebay units once folks understand what it is they bought.

Russ @ BFS

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Steve, believe it or not, I am ready to order the following. Thanks for your patience. Russ, thanks for all your help.

~ Add on DI kit with color changing resin - $38.00

~ 10' x 1/4 inch OD tubing, blue - $0.15 = $1.50

~ REEF CENTRAL Special - $18.00

Total before discounts= $57.50

Steve, please make note that I'll need you to give my items to Jim (house) at the swap.

Russ

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Here's my order Steve:

2-pack, Sediment Cartridge, 5 Micron - $5.50

Thanks. I won't be able to make the swap but is there anyone in Queens that can pick it up for me?

Vance

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Steve, it might be a good idea to let everyone know what their individual totals are soon. Waiting till the deadline of Sunday night might not give everyone a chance to paypal you in time to place the order Monday morning ;)

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: