ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Charile1,

charile1 said:
What do you guys think about leaving the lights off for a couple of days? Would that help?

That would probably work as a stopgap but it is unnecessary. In this situation cyano is actually a good thing.

E

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
jejton,

Depends a lot on how your tank matures. Things like source water, feeding, lighting and flow all play a part as well. But I would wait a couple of months before really trying to change something.

E

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Which one does yours look like....
endocladia.jpg

I gotta find a pic of cyano lol

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
jejton said:
I have never head of a nano tank taking a couple of months to cycle esp with rock that was already partially cured.

I think Ezee was referring to the amount of time needed for the tank to mature as opposed to the live rock cycling procedure. Various algae/bacteria blooms occur during the maturation process.

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
Deanos,

Deanos said:
I think Ezee was referring to the amount of time needed for the tank to mature as opposed to the live rock cycling procedure. Various algae/bacteria blooms occur during the maturation process.

:approve:

E

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
jejton,

jejton said:
I have never head of a nano tank taking a couple of months to cycle esp with rock that was already partially cured.

There are a number of other processes that take gradually place within your tank, after the cycle. Your tank will continue to age, like fine wine lol, and as that sets in, you will get a better picture of what the long term issues might be and what particular things you should be doing.

E

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thanks Eeze and Deano. I guess I have been confusing cycling with maturing. I have noticed changes in the algae. First I was getting mostly reddish filaments that grew longer with the photoperiod until they broke off completely. Then I started getting a reddish/purplish fuzzy growth which I mistook for the start of corraline. It progressed to become more of a film. Now my tank and rock are covered in a brownish film which are producing some sort of gas because there are bubbles trapped underneath the film. It looks pretty gross actually. Is this a form of BGA or diatoms? Was it ok that I added some inverts ( turbos, nass. and scarlet hermits ) since my paramaters were ok. Would it be ok to add some corals ? Someone is holding some free frags of GSP, kenya tree and mushroom leather for me and I believe he is getting anxious for me to take them.

Thanks again for the help.
Eric

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
jejton,

If you water params are good you can probably take those. You may find that the kenya doesn't like the new tank but I would think you would be okay.

E

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here are some cyano pictures. Notice the cerith snails actually make trails through it and eat it. The Nassarius snails just glide over the top!

I would really like to find an algae book. I all I can find are fresh water.

Attachments

• cyano 1.jpg
    cyano 1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 143
  • cyano 2.jpg
    cyano 2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 146
  • cyano 3.jpg
    cyano 3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 153

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
well i got a question i have been getting an outbreak of cyano and my tank has been setup since feb.this year.recently i've been using purple up and i wanted to know if this can contribute to cyano i did read some where that to much iodine can cause unwanted algae(i dont know how true that is but id rather ask here than start a new thread.)thanks

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I just read on a FW yahoo group I belong to that some people successfully use careful dosing of hydrogen peroxide to kill off algae without harming plants or fish. I can check on the dosages used if anyone is interested. But back to my problem...is it a problem or is it a normal part of the maturation process?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: