jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I believe my tank has finished cycling. Last time I checked the ( on Friday ) amm. and nitrite were 0 and nitrate was 10 or less ( the test kit doesnt have a reading for 0 ). I thought that the red growths on the live rock were the start of coralline but when I came into work today I noticed that much of the rock was covered in a layer of red fuzzy growth which I believe might be some sort of nuisance algae. I will try to upload a picture tomorrow but I doubt it will be clear anyway. Can anyone tell me what this is and if it is a normal part of cycling? I wanted to add my cleaning crew tomorrow so help is appreciated.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Its a normal part of cycling. Red slimer remover might work, but I avoid trying to use chemicals unless absoluately necessary. Since its a new tank, you can just let it cycle out. If it was an established tank, its usually too much silicates

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I am running a 12 gallon skimmerless tank. Right now the only thing in there is live rock and some chaet. I would like to add cleaning crew; I thought to avoid turbos because I've read that they tend to knock things over. Would astreas or scarlet hermits do the job? I want to avoid chemicals as well.

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicates cause diatom blooms, not red cyano (assuming that is what you have) blooms. I would avoid using any chemicals. It's a new tank. You need to let it run it's courses naturally IMO for better long term stability. Do you have any fish in the tank now or did you cycle the tank without fish (preferable). If you have fish/livestock what do you have? Are you using RO/DI? What kind of skimmer? Increasing flow and reducing the photo-period can help also.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I will try to get some photos up in a while but I dont know if they will help because I havent figured out how to get good digital shots of the tank. I came back from the weekend and the tank is overrun with this algae or diatoms. The only livestock in there at the moment are three turbos, four nassarious snails, three scarlet hermits. It is running skimmerless ( JBJ 12dx cube ) with just a surface skimmer combing the water surface flowing into the back chamber. In the back chamber i have chaet ( I also have a clump in the display which seems to be getting covered in this brown stuff as well ) and in the second chamber is a polyfilter. The stock pump was replaced with a maxijet 900. The photoperiod is 12 hours. I will try to get water params later. I am using poland spring with oceanic salt mix. I plan on buying distilled bottled water once this bucket is used up because I suspect that maybe the water source is part of the problem as others have suggested. At this point I dont know if this is a normal part of the cycle or if I should clean the tank and do a water change. Getting a skimmer on this tank is out of the question because of space and money constraints ( besides there arent really any practical skimmers for these cubes ) but I do welcome other suggestions. I would try to stay away from chemicals because I know they dont usually solve the root problem but I dont want to sit and look at this ugly tank either so help me please.

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
jejton,

Honestly, this is a normal part of the process. Be careful about using chemicals to address cyano, which is likely what you have. They can deplete the bacteria in your tank (cyano is bacterial), and in a new tank that may jump start another cycle.

E

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
ezee said:
jejton,

Honestly, this is a normal part of the process. Be careful about using chemicals to address cyano, which is likely what you have. They can deplete the bacteria in your tank (cyano is bacterial), and in a new tank that may jump start another cycle.

E

That is what I thought but this tank has been set up nearly 3 weeks and with partially cured LR so I was worrying that maybe this was more than just a normal cycling issue. Besides the three scarlet hermits, 4 nassarious and three turbos would you recommend anything else for the cleaning crew?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: