NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Zoanthid Killer in my Tank---UPDATE & PIC

A small mystery has overtaken my tank, something is dragging my zoanthid covered branches into a rock cave and stripping the polyps off. Whatever it is has also broken the branch tips off, about 1/4 " thick or more, in the process. I have seen a slim worm that lives in the live rock which sends itself out to troll for food, but can't believe it is strong enough. I have looked day and night and do not see any crabs, I only keep snails although hitchikers come in from the corals, of course. The other night I saw a tiny creature with pinchers like a crab in a tiny hole in the live rock. I tried to exorcise it with some tweezers, but to no avail. It had pointy tips on pinchers which looked ominious, but the body size could have not bee so big, smaller then a dime. Any thoughts on what type of creature could do this? And hot to get rid of it too, it doesn't touch any of my other corals or clam, just zoanthids.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You mostly likey have a crab that eat zoo's. Some have white, brown or red bodys with brown or dark tips on their pinchers. The biggest problem is that they usually come out after the lights have been off for a while and will hide when you come by the tank.

The next time you spot it you may have to remove some rocks to get it out. It will continue to grow and eat not only zoo's but mushrooms also.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
how big is your tank? do you have an idea where it hides? i would check where the brach was dragged off too. if you can take the rock w/ the cave out, that would help.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i had a very large worm- you can search for my posts on bristle worms (it was a bad kind- not what you want in your tank) that at almost every zoo and every shroom in my tank a few months ago.

I didn't know what it was until I woke up early one morning and saw it- about 8" long and thick! I had no idea anything like that was in my rock....now its gone and everything has been growing back nicely!

NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is in my 30 cube and I have a lot of ricordia's right near where this thing dragged the zoanthid branch. The ricordia's are fine so far, I need to trap this thing pronto! And I can't really take the live rock out to look for the critter, it must be strong as hell though, to carry and break the branches.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Crabs can be very tough to get out, specially when they don't want to come out in the open. You're going to have to wait until it comes out and then try to grab it. Use your hand instead of the tweezers, that way once you get a hold of it you can pull it right out.

Remove all the rocks, even though it's a pain, maybe the best way to go.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
This was eating my softies, especially zoanthids, :( !

Attachments

• Worm full shot.jpg
    Worm full shot.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 334
  • worm close.jpg
    worm close.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 332
  • worm closeup.jpg
    worm closeup.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 332

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
wait for night time and see if you can spot it. get a flaslight and put something like red plastic on the light. the red light won't scare them off,so i've heard. once you spot it get it out anyway you can.

if that doesn't work a trap is your best bet.

NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It something like that is in my tank I'm not sticking my hand in there!! I need to make a trap for the critter, any examples of good soda bottle traps?

stresco

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
solbby said:
This was eating my softies, especially zoanthids, :( !

WTF is that thing? How did you get it out of your tank? How big was it? Do you have a pic with a ruler or something next to it for a size reference?h

NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Update, I finally caught the little bastard after seeing him one morning on top of the live rock. He had knocked over a bunch of corals, the most expensive montiporas I have. I tried to skewer him as I know he doesn't come out with the lights on, but his hard shell made the grabber slip off, and he was gone. I spent two nights chasing him in vain as he is pretty fast. He is about the circumference of a silver dollar, with white and reddish/purple blotches all over him. I had to spend over two hours taking all my live rock out into several water filled buckets to get him. I was obscessed with it as I want to keep zoanthids, and protect my valuble corals from being thrown about. That crab was really strong and I am so happy to be rid of him. Lesson learned, check all corals carefully before putting them into the tank. His colors made him blend right in with the rock corals are mounted on.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
NYReef said:
He is about the circumference of a silver dollar, with white and reddish/purple blotches all over him.....His colors made him blend right in with the rock corals are mounted on.

A picture for future identification will be appreciated :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: