bimmer01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96%
194   8   0
I tried searching for these zoathids in Zoaid.com and they are no where to be found.

Anyone has any idea?

Picture507.jpg

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
ZoaID claims to be the definitive repository for named zoanthids. Many zoanthid collectors recognize it as such. If it's not listed there, it's probably:
  • not yet named
  • doesn't deserve a name
  • has a name, but looks different due to differing lighting parameters
  • has a name, but the person looking didn't bother to check the site

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
ZoaID claims to be the definitive repository for named zoanthids. Many zoanthid collectors recognize it as such. If it's not listed there, it's probably:
  • not yet named
  • doesn't deserve a name
  • has a name, but looks different due to differing lighting parameters
  • has a name, but the person looking didn't bother to check the site

Just out of curiosity who decides if it is deserving of a name? Is there some official Zoanthid Namer out there? Not trying to be snippy or anthing just really curious as to how the names happen. Thanks :)

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Marcellina, I have been over that naming part before. It just gets named by someone looking to make a lot of money and who ever sends the pics into one of those sites first. Who also makes money from the site.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Just out of curiosity who decides if it is deserving of a name? Is there some official Zoanthid Namer out there? Not trying to be snippy or anthing just really curious as to how the names happen. Thanks :)

As jaa1456 stated, owners of a zoanthid typically submit pictures to the site with the name they "assigned". If it looks "different" enough to the owner's of zoaid.com, I guess they add it to the site.

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Oh Ok. Another question since you seem to know alot about this :) Who decides what makes certain zoas so darned expensive??? Or what makes them more expensive? Slow grow rate? I would think if you can get a polpy you can grow your own little colony. Once more people have the expensive zoa does it make them worth less?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Buyers determine the sale price of a zoanthid. If I have some for sale at $100/polyp and noone buys it...it's worth $0.00. What has been happening, is a hobbyist wants to be the "1st on their block" with the newest zoanthid and will pay whatever the seller asks.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
the more the color the more the rarest, and then they claim a price limited quanity is the key

Oh Ok. Another question since you seem to know alot about this :) Who decides what makes certain zoas so darned expensive??? Or what makes them more expensive? Slow grow rate? I would think if you can get a polpy you can grow your own little colony. Once more people have the expensive zoa does it make them worth less?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: