Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
The interview done by the guy from ReefBuilders actually gives a lot of details:

- Two models: Pro and Blue. Blue at max intensity on all channels corresponds to the famous AB+ settings
- The pucks have been replaced by something that is more spread, with more LEDs, this is to ensure less "volcano-like peak" and instead provide a blanket of light
- The optics are pretty similar to the ones on the G4, but this time they are "frosted".
- Connection wise: the lights will be controllable via Bluetooth and the Mobius app, but also directly with WiFi, without the need for the EcoTech link.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Regarding "when" on R2R the guy working on the Mobius app wrote (on Friday)

"Yes waiting for the full release would be a good idea. It only works for Versa pumps. Next will probably be Radions to go alongside the Radion G5 release next week."

I have a Versa, so was asking questions about the Mobius app, and learned about the G5's that way.

Actinic Atoll

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a sweet light.

I really like how they have incorporated L brackets right into the light, they also appear to be an extension of the heat sink.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Ahhhhh diy for the win maybe even better love how these companies are starting to relieve “The pucks have been replaced by something that is more spread, with more LEDs, this is to ensure less "volcano-like peak" and instead provide a blanket of light”
You want to mimic the sun as much as possible and with a design with the led spread at appropriate positions you will have a blanket of even light across the tank

Actinic Atoll

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the naming convention is both responsive and awkward.

It's good that the Blue version has the diode count more inline with the way people adjust their sliders in the past. This would allow those that need maximum power out of the fixture to get it.

What confuses me is the "Pro" naming convention on the more traditional light of the two. (The pro has more white LED.) What does "Pro" imply? Do professional users have whiter light on average then amateurs? Is it to ease stubborn MH users over to LED, with the assurance of both sustained royalty and brown coral? ?

What does it all mean man!

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
The "Pro" name is probably because it has the same ratios of the different colors as the previous Pro, so that targets people who have a previous generation and want to upgrade. Apparently they won't do any versions without the added LEDs (in the violet etc spectrum)

They sent a marketing email this morning. It looks like WiFi control will not be available right away, and it will be Mobius only for now (I like the fact that it is local and Bluetooth, but I dislike the fact that it is Android/iPhone only: Apple tends to pull apps without warnings, and then what?)

Other than that, most of the technical info is here:

Actinic Atoll

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather then this painfully slow evolution toward full LED panels, I think Ecotech should just go for the throat and sell a T5 hybrid fixture in the meantime.

I mean really.

WiFi SchmiFi.

I'm running a fixture made up of Sunblasters w ATI bulbs and a SB Actinic strip, it's been hands down my favorite all-around light. It's the type of light that makes me proud. lol

Kessils and Radions with diffusers make gorgeous lights for small tanks.

I understand that Ecotech probably runs like a tech company, relying on iterations is critical to the bottom line. The reality though, is the high tech aquarium is part of the hobby, not the hobby as a whole. IMO the hobby has matured quite a bit in the past few years, with Ecotech actually dragging it's heels with regards to lighting changes.

I am part of the hobby and I'm left just shrugging my shoulders. So far the biggest concerns I see raised about the Gen5 has to do with, will it connect to this and that. (Bluetooth, mobius etc.) lol.
The irony is that if you feel the need to connect to your light with an app, that slightly circumvents the factory reeflink, maybe you are also killing your tank by doing to much. I'm just saying, if coral like stability, what are you doing? I think these folks should find an old VCR and learn how to set the clock, it would be an enlightening and fulfilling experience.

Yes Ecotech is responsive, on the other hand they are now offering a $800 "Black Box" LED of 2015 era. (But it connects to stuff!)
The black box was just a fluke that it happened to be closer in form to the ideal LED fixture then the Kessil / Radion of that era, that was trying to shrink and combine diodes.

If Ecotech won't give us panels the least they could do is sell some AB+ strips. No lenses, just a frosted glass panel. I know they can make those. All it needs is a plug and be able to have power linked together. If they insist on digital something, a built in ON/OFF timer in each strip would be nice I'll admit.

Just to show I'm not a curmudgeonly luddite, I do love my Vectra M2 closed loop pump. It's too early to talk about durability, but I'm otherwise over the moon with that product. That is a good implementation of tech right there. Just the right amount, a quiet efficient DC motor with variable flow used for closed loop reef-crest that doesn't need peripherals. (aside from optional battery backup) If you bring out a M3 pump just to have firewire and USB-C, I'll just roll my eyes at you.

Ecotech needs the pump guy to talk to the lighting guy. We want a Vectra style light, not a hipster light that connects to fitbit.

My next Ecotech light purchase is either going to be a LED strip, have T5 bulbs or be a used Gen12 Radion 2'x4' panel. My balls are in your court.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: