loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Euroreef CS-8

this is my euroreef CS-8.
8"X24". Footprint is 11"X13.5". Runs off of sedra SP-4 (45watts)
pros: -easy set up, practically plug and play.
-easy to clean
-works great, I'm skimming very dry and I still have to empty it out every couple of days
Cons: -expensive, I paid $600, but then again, I see some of you are in the $1000 area.
-It's big
-Removing collection cup is a 2 person job. One of the problems with online shopping is that you don't always get what the picture shows. I wanted it with the union for the removable neck, instead it is a keyhole twist fit. It's hard to get it off by yourself and the o-ring is already losing it's seal after only 10 months. I had to get a new o-ring.
-I don't like the standpipe... going with the gate valve.

I love this skimmer, It's definately the best one I've ever owned. I'm just being overly critical so that if anyone was looking into these, they can see the things some owners might not like about it.

Attachments

• Euro Reef.jpg
    Euro Reef.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 749
  • collection cup 1.jpg
    collection cup 1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 747
  • collection cup on.jpg
    collection cup on.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 753

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
etss 500

and this is my ETSS Evolution 500. It's off line at the moment. The cylinder came loose from the base. I need to get some weldon to fix it.
foot print is 6.5"X6.5". 13 "high. Can be ran off of a Mag 9.5 with good results and great results with an Iwaki 20 or 30 RT.
Pros: -easy to clean
-I run it off my main pump, so it doesn't cost me anything to run. I know that this is not the way that it is supposed to be done, But my Euro reef can handle the tank on its own. It still pulls skimmate, it is just very inconsistant. 5,800 gph was a lot in my tank, diverting 500 gph to this is a pretty good way for me to use the extra flow.

Cons:
-even when I was running this off of a dedicated pump, it was extremely difficult to adjust. ETSS advises waiting 6 to 12 hours per 1/4" turn on the adjustment knob.
-always releases microbubbles.
-I've ran it off of a Mag 9.5 and an Iwaki 30 RT. I never saw those killer results they talk about. Definately not worth the $350 pricetag. Running off of my main pump isn't much worse than running off of the Iwaki.
-poor craftsmanship on this particular skimmer. The cylinder separated from the base? I was pretty pissed, but these things do happen, i guess.

Overall, I don't like this skimmer. I couldn't sell it here in MR with a good concience, so I use it in my new set up. It also helps me out in power outages too. I have enough power to run my main pump, and with it set up the way it is, I still have a skimmer running, even though it's not very good, and still gets some extra O2 into the tank.

Attachments

• etss.jpg
    etss.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 742

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
spykes said:
they made a tub of phytoplankton and made the skimmer skim it out lol

I thought that is a kick a$$ skimmer until I realize who took the picture and the color of the water vs. the color of the white tub. I think a seaclown would pull a full cup in a few hours in that system too.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Pierce I think you should get rid of the MRC sucks logo and replace it with BK :)

Seriously though after seeing yours run, something is not right. Have you seen MSHUR's run?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
jackson6745 said:
Pierce I think you should get rid of the MRC sucks logo and replace it with BK :)

Seriously though after seeing yours run, something is not right. Have you seen MSHUR's run?

I have seen Mike's skimmer last year but I don't remember it being much different as far as foam producing ability. Maybe Mike will come by and help me out? Where are you Mike??

I don't think the BK sucks, it does pull crap out pretty well, just nothing like a good beckett skimmer coupled with a strong pump. Check out what I posted on RC with two of the most vocal high end skimmer user in the same thread, nether one rebutted what I have stated about a BK and my Barr. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=768740

MRC brand sucks because the quality of the craftsmanship and the owner's integrity as a business person. I would not buy stuff or recommend others to buy from people that lies to you and lie to others about you.

ereefic

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cali_reef said:
MRC brand sucks because the quality of the craftsmanship and the owner's integrity as a business person. I would not buy stuff or recommend others to buy from people that lies to you and lie to others about you.

Please enlighten me about the lies? PM me if you want. Thanks.

Manny

Flying Kimura
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is my PM Hot-1
Didn't like the venturi so I modified it with an air stone.
This is my first protein skimmer so I can't really compare.

IMO
pros:
-keeps my 30g pretty clean
-looks ok hanging on back (not an eyesore)
-easy to adjust dry/wet
-I approve:lol2:
cons:
-I didn't get the drain tube so I have to take it apart every time I empty it
-cup can be a little bigger

If you have any questions just send me a PM

ps. this skimmer will be up for sale soon if anyone is interested

turned the air off to see the simple plumbing I did....... nothing fancy

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: