reefer-nyc

One Evil Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow- bubble master would not fit in my small sump. Where did the 20% come from? I moved the inverter out of my stand already- thanks for the advice- should have known it is common sense. I will keep you all posted but maybe I should have posted this at reefcentral.com- a lot of BK haters out there. I am just a squirrel trying to get a nut. The silencer is a plug in the neck of the skimmer which I put back in and it is less noisy now.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
I own a BK 300EXT, I don't hate it. I just don't think it is a great skimmer for what they charge for one. It is a good quality skimmer and skims my 300 gallon heavily stocked fish tank well, but a beckett can do that better and cheaper.

The european motor runs on 50Hz and we have 60Hz in our powerlines, that a 20% increase in frequncy which will make the motor run faster and hotter.

loismustdie

chicks dig beckett men
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
:) listen most expensive = best always. That's all anyone needs to know. :)

Fred... are you serious?
No hating Phil. Just looking out. With 10 years in the hobby, you can probably get away with an old Lee's air driven skimmer. It's just like what Pierce said, they are a little to high priced and the performance doesn't marry up well to the cost. And I'm also a little worried about he pump. IME, they don't have a great track record.
We obviously want the best for you and hope you do succeed. Believe me, I would much rather read a post from you 5 years from now saying that you are still running strong, rather than "I have to replace my pump."
We all tend to be critical in the hobby. It was harsh criticism that got my tank where it is.

reefer-nyc

One Evil Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Understood Chris and thanks guys for the support. I will keep you posted with juicy pics hoping my dragon doesn't crap out. Maybe there is a way to digitize the hertz conversion to equalize the 50-60hz issue? I will keep looking. Phil

RGibson

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a BK 300EXT, I don't hate it. I just don't think it is a great skimmer for what they charge for one. It is a good quality skimmer and skims my 300 gallon heavily stocked fish tank well, but a beckett can do that better and cheaper.

The european motor runs on 50Hz and we have 60Hz in our powerlines, that a 20% increase in frequncy which will make the motor run faster and hotter.

Are you going back to a beckett skimmer?

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Asm g2 question

Can someone give the collection cup size height for a asm g2. I want to place underneath my tank in the cabinet and the skimmer itself 21 1/4 and my space is 26 1/4. So removing cup might be a little tight if it measures over 4 because I still have to factor acrylic thickness for the sump. So if anyone can someone please do this favor for me. I would appreciate it. Thanks

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Can someone give the collection cup size height for a asm g2. I want to place underneath my tank in the cabinet and the skimmer itself 21 1/4 and my space is 26 1/4. So removing cup might be a little tight if it measures over 4 because I still have to factor acrylic thickness for the sump. So if anyone can someone please do this favor for me. I would appreciate it. Thanks

You'll have more that enough space.
You barely need an 1" to remove the cup.
For your size tank, I would go with a G3, though. 25" in height.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I got the BM250 delivered tonight, thanks Mark, it looks well made.
I'll have the pics up tomorrow after I take them in the morning.

It's going to be breaking in, in a rubermaid with 20 gallons of old tank water. I have to do it like this because I'm leaving for a week and don't want to loose the time to break it in when I get back. It can overflow all it wants to in the rubermaid. I wonder how it will do with just 20G of water to play with :scratchch maybe I can use the water when I get back for another change :lol:

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
John,
My BM 200 was the greasiest piece of tank equipment I've ever purchased. The pump had quite a bit of oil on and in it. If you run your hands along the acrylic on the inside you'll also find it to have a slight film on it. The threads that I've read regarding this skimmer is that it will take 3-4 weeks to break in if run in tank water.

I broke mine in by doing the following:

12 hours in warm water.
12 hours in salt water.
12 hours in warm water with 1 gallon of vinegar.
(At this step is where I noticed the grease on the inside of the skimmer. While running my hand along the seams of the acrylic I sliced open an old cut. I bled into the body of the skimmer and only noticed how bad I was bleeding when it was dripping on my floor. I then noticed that the skimmer body was brownish while the rubbermaid water was clear. In 30 minutes the collection cup was full of brown, bloody water and all the rest of the water was clear.)
24 hours in water with 2 gallons of vinegar.

I have it in my sump right now but due to a box full of new filter socks I cant' run it yet. The foam rises right up and over into the collection cup. I tossed the rest of my filter socks into the wash so I should be able to start running it in a day or two.

I would run it in the rubbermaid tub with the collection cup off, just let it overflow onto itself. Add in a gallon or two of the strongest vinegar you can find. Once you add vinegar to the water it will be able to produce foam.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks for the info Fred, I think I'll skip the step with the blood :dead1:

I'll start with hot water, then vinegar, then salt and see how that works.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ATI Bubble Master 250 with Gate Valve

First I have to say the packing was impressive, thick cardboard boxes, bubble wrap, and organic peanuts.

The instructions are simple and too the point.

now for the photos...

the virgin skimmer

ati10.jpg

mocha's a good sized cat

ati1.jpg

I don't think he really cares about the new skimmer
ati2.jpg

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Bm 250

rubber foot pump sit's on
ati5.jpg

rubber hose that attaches the pump
ati9.jpg

gate valve from the side
ati6.jpg

that's all for now :)

Last edited:

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I'm a bit jealous of the "fancy" gate valve that is used on the 250. The 200 is the obvious step child. The 200 ships with a "ghetto" retro fit gate valve assembly. It's a Street elbow, a gate valve, a T and some pvc pipe. What a reefer would craft with a trip to Home Depot, not the fancy assembly as was shown here.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I'm a bit jealous of the "fancy" gate valve that is used on the 250. The 200 is the obvious step child. The 200 ships with a "ghetto" retro fit gate valve assembly. It's a Street elbow, a gate valve, a T and some pvc pipe. What a reefer would craft with a trip to Home Depot, not the fancy assembly as was shown here.

stop complaining :smash: :lol2: If our gate valve need to be changed ,its easy as 123 ,,,but if something happens to the gate valve ont the 250 ,they are SOL ,so i think this gheto mod is great :D

I did a 24hr fresh water with 16 oz of vinegar ,then fresh water for 5 hrs ,let the skimmer dry over night and installed ,got foam within 5 hrs and skimmate withing 24hrs

:D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: