Status
Not open for further replies.

petlover516

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i checked out prices with 1 fish: royal gramma. prices were $15 at BTJ jungle, $25 at warehouse, and $40 at adventure. i think BTJs does the best job keeping fish healthy.

damien

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
ok, that's your opinion. i feel that the place is no good and many other people feel the same that i do. do a google search and see what you find.

McReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua hut or country critters by far has a better selection and Aquahut gets the freak coral no one else does. SCFR is BS

Exit 64n lie

damien

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
aqua hut is very good in price but btj is very bad ,u open the door and the smell of that place is tremdous. country critters is a store just to look to expensive .if u want to see some good stuff check out tropical island aquarium on deer park ave they r selling frie shrimp 19.99 cleaner shrimp 11.99 nice sizes exqusite wrasse they selling for 50 bux he has it for 24.99 carpenters yellow fairy are the same price trust me u wont be disappointed.

Last edited:

McReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, BTJs smell is overwhelming. Tanks seem neglected too, not a place to purchase livestock, or deadstock, or anything for that matter

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Even if BTJ Jungles sells Acans I wouldnt take them for Free from them. Aspca has been trying to close them up for years. But ever since there Fire they had a few years ago they some how got on there Good side and now cant be touched. Even though all there stuff in that store is either OVER priced or Neglected. I will never forget seeing 4 sheppard puppies in a little cage. They couldnt even turn around. I said something to the owner. He was Very nasty but took them out of that cage the second he thought I left. That was total abuse. I will not put up with that.

So to make a long story short Dont give them business even if they wanted to give you stuff for Free they are NO good and dont care about there animals that store. Reason for the smells when you walk in that store.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I normally try and find positives in any situation regarding fish stores and places to go on the island because let's face it, they are far and few between.

Though seeing someone say that BTJ's is a great place literally turned my stomach. There are so many things wrong with that store that I wouldn't even know where to begin. Please do not support such an establishment.

Pet Warehouse is borderline for me as well because of what they do with the other livestock they carry and the conditions that most are kept in, as well as selling puppies (horrible mixes at outrageous prices, supporting irresponsible breeding practices).

As a general rule we try not to shop anywhere that sells puppies.

No place will be 100% all the time great. That is reality but there are those that are scraping the bottom of the barrel and those that make my skimmate look and smell like gravy.

MTJ

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mutt and Butts in East Meadow has always been decent for me. Aquarium adventures is way too over priced. Country Critters has a large selection livestock.

divedeeper

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pets warehouse is probably the best lfs that i have been to.sure they might look like a storage facility but hence the name pets "warehouse" they take very good care of there fish if you dont think so ask them to show you there equipment room its in the back of the store.every fish and coral i have ever bought from there has survived and flourishes.if you want to ask questions and are not sure of what you want talk to andy.he will help you.like every lfs that you go to make sure of what you want before you visit.and by the way its pretty hard to find a pet store that does not sell puppies and even if they do you are not going there for the pups you are going to get quality fish and corals that will survive the trip home.JMO

I agree, they are very good anyone saying otherwise is not being objective.

Also their online prices are great no shipping costs if you pickup.

Here's my take on the LI stores.

Pets NHP-average wooden rack store, you have to beg for help prices are so so. Rate C-

BTJs jungle not even worth mention, bad tank and smell rate D

Aquarium Adventure, you know about the crazy high prices, I saw a ?death list? book on their packing table!
Yes in view the words death list just jumped off the shelf. I took a look, no one there helps you they hang out bs?ing
They loose more in day than most of you have in your whole tank. Rate B-

Suffolk County Fish and Reef, not a lot of stock, above average prices, nice central filtration rate it a B+

Pet Barn tiny assortment rate C-

MUTTS AND BUTTS small room in poor condition, help tried to BS about their sick fish, took a fish out scraped off the ick with his finger nail then dropped it on the floor after a minute he threw it back in the tank. Rate C-

Fish Town over crowed fish good prices, help is good but that smelly wet carpet makes me sick. Rate B+

Aqua hut good prices but none are posted, they are quoted verbally, over all dumpy, they smoke in your face, narrow isles.
Don?t try to call them-no phone Rate B-

Country critters Nice store well kept, prices very high, help sucks. A-

Tropical island aquarium in deer park time will tell

I can?t nail it down 100% but the rumor is, Pets Warehouse is opening a new store in Queens

I don?t shop in the city so I can?t comment on those stores.

reefnhard

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Pet barn is good alil exspensive but good...theres a guy named manny there hes cool as hell and helpful....pets of new hyde park...they need to get there s#$% together but ive been able to talk them down alil on price....i bought some hermits there and they died the next day everything else in my tank was good..but then again there hermits

Last edited by a moderator:

reefnhard

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Petswarehouse sux i had to wait a half hour for ro water one day and the guy said to me it was cause i wasnt buy anything "big" i guess i wasnt spending enough money go figure he lost out on a $250 sale cause i was about to load my tank with fish....alot of these long island stores suck cause they dont take care of there fish and the salesman dont know jack sh!t...i never been to reef country but heard it was good

Last edited by a moderator:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Petswarehouse sux i had to wait a half hour for ro water one day and the guy said to me it was cause i wasnt buy anything "big" i guess i wasnt spending enough money go figure he lost out on a $250 sale cause i was about to load my tank with fish....alot of these long island stores suck cause they dont take care of there fish and the salesman dont know jack ****...i never been to reef country but heard it was good

i highly doubt that.even when i go in to get a couple of snails im in and out of there.you were probably there on a busy day where they were overwhelmed with people buying livestock.i have never in the 3 years of shopping there ever been treated like that.

reefnhard

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
um how are you gonna tell me that didnt happen jus because your experience on buying snails went smooth lol they have little kids working there anyways....to each there own but my experience wasnt good with petswarehouse

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hey reefnhard, do me a favor since I am one of the kids that work there, instead of bad mouthing a store just don't come back. I really don't understand why someone would trash a store and write about it in a public forum, unless there was another motive ( like working or owning another store) . I know if I had a bad experience with any store that I have dealt with I would just not go back

hope this helps

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: