Status
Not open for further replies.

TrIsTaTe05

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Country Critters is loaded with red flat worms, please guys becarefeull when buying coral from them, if you go where there frags are you can see where the rics are that the red worms totally took over these tanks. its in almost every tank. High priced corals with reb bugs i give them a F ! possibly a Z

itsaNYthing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
the trick to getting the best deal at aqua hut is to ask every person out on the floor the price, they always vary, and just go with the guy who says the cheapest price, and you can haggle with them a little.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Another vote here for Aqua Hut. They been in business for 30+ years. Always willing to take time an help you out. They also know their regular customers.

Pretty sure they are a direct importer of livestock.

Low prices on all equip is nice too!

Rule of thumb my father told me about this hobby. Only buy your aquarium livestock from a store that only deals in this hobby. Others might not agree, but it works for me.

Last edited:

IamRobG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say i like to split my LFS up.

Aquarium Adventure Carle Place -I Don't like the non personal feeling you get when you walk in there. Been there at least 50 times and they still don't recognize me and i've spent a lot of money there including a 29 gallon and a 125 gallon tank with stands and all the supporting equipment. I find they have better and more stock of equipment. I go there to get all my equipment, salts, test kits, filters, foods, etc etc.

Tropical Island Aquarium in Deer Park - Absolutely right about their corals. They have a beautiful display of corals and frags and they are very friendly. Not a giant selection of fish although they do have some incredible lighting set ups and a decent selection of equipment for such a small store. I will definitely use them for corals.

Tropical Showcase Hicksville - I deal with Gene quite often. He's very reasonable and in my opinion has the best pre-cured live rock i've ever seen. All the rock i've bought from him have had the most life on it and the best algae unlike Aquarium Adventure which the rock cured in my tank for almost 2 months just started growing algae. His fish never have any spots or discoloration on them, but i do agree with other people that he does keep them in small tanks. I can try to talk to him about offering discounts for MR members. On top of all this he's honest and wouldn't sell me fish or corals or anything until he was sure my tank was fully ready.

Those are my experiences at these places but i haven't really been anywhere else yet.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Aqua hut is great. Don always hooks me up as long as hes not in one of his moods lol.
Country Critters sux. They have great corals but their prices are ridiculous and everyone Ive ever talked to in there had a cocky additude without the knowledge to back it up.
Suffolk County Reef and fish is an allright store with healthy livestock but their prices are up there also.
Tropical Island is a nice place and Micheal is a really nice guy. Prices are a lil high but you get what you pay for, very healthy fish and corals.
Pets Warehouse in Selden sux. They never have many SW fish and the ones they do have look like ****.Their frags are way over priced also. They have along way to go if they want to compare themselves to the one in copigue.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know for some reason Aquahut never really did it for me. Everything just seems bland I dunno. Country Critters isnt what it used to be however I saw they have a $5 $10 $20 and $30 frag tanks. Did a double take when I saw that. Suffolk fish and reef is a store where newbies go and get ripped off, figure out they've been had and never go back again lol. Tropical Island rocks absolutely love that place. Selden petswarehouse is a joke.

itsaNYthing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ya know for some reason Aquahut never really did it for me. Everything just seems bland I dunno. Country Critters isnt what it used to be however I saw they have a $5 $10 $20 and $30 frag tanks. Did a double take when I saw that. Suffolk fish and reef is a store where newbies go and get ripped off, figure out they've been had and never go back again lol. Tropical Island rocks absolutely love that place. Selden petswarehouse is a joke.

aquahut is great if you know how to pick fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was over at Critters the other day and I noticed they didnt have much which is unusual for them so I asked them what the deal was. Apparently they were getting an order of livestock Thursday (today) well i stopped in tonight and holy x-mas! They had Maxi-mini anemones and finally some clams! Bunch of other stuff too didnt ask for a price though would probably make myself cry lol.:shhh:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes Tropical Island had some pretty good deals on sps frags and some good fish everything looking good and healthy. I did go to pets warehouse in copaige and noticed their prices are starting to rise but the quality of corals are going down fish were hit and miss and I frequent that place pretty often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: