Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Closed Thread

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 01:52 PM
MR's Greatest Member
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
Where is the NJ reviews lol. I need to make my way out there one day and check out some LI stores. Which one would be the best pick??
Old 05-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (67%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
aqua hut....
Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Send a Private Message
and country critters
Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Reefer Ratings: (167 (100%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
Went to PW in Copiague today. They had some incredible new SPS pieces. High end stuff from FHI and some incredible Aussie pieces. Wish my new tank was ready.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Send a Private Message
what place in copiague?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Reefer Ratings: (167 (100%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
Pets Warehouse
Old 06-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Country Critters is loaded with red flat worms, please guys becarefeull when buying coral from them, if you go where there frags are you can see where the rics are that the red worms totally took over these tanks. its in almost every tank. High priced corals with reb bugs i give them a F ! possibly a Z
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
the trick to getting the best deal at aqua hut is to ask every person out on the floor the price, they always vary, and just go with the guy who says the cheapest price, and you can haggle with them a little.
120 lbs LS
100 lbs LR
Reef Safe LED lighting
work in progress....
120 Build underway* Build thread will be up soon!

was thought to be a pleasant guy all my life.. now im down for whatever.. aint nothin nice
Old 12-04-2010, 11:54 PM
DIATOM MAGNET
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Friends: (21)
Send a Private Message
Another vote here for Aqua Hut. They been in business for 30+ years. Always willing to take time an help you out. They also know their regular customers.

Pretty sure they are a direct importer of livestock.

Low prices on all equip is nice too!

Rule of thumb my father told me about this hobby. Only buy your aquarium livestock from a store that only deals in this hobby. Others might not agree, but it works for me.

Last edited by mbg75; 12-05-2010 at 12:05 AM..
Old 12-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
I have to say i like to split my LFS up.

Aquarium Adventure Carle Place -I Don't like the non personal feeling you get when you walk in there. Been there at least 50 times and they still don't recognize me and i've spent a lot of money there including a 29 gallon and a 125 gallon tank with stands and all the supporting equipment. I find they have better and more stock of equipment. I go there to get all my equipment, salts, test kits, filters, foods, etc etc.

Tropical Island Aquarium in Deer Park - Absolutely right about their corals. They have a beautiful display of corals and frags and they are very friendly. Not a giant selection of fish although they do have some incredible lighting set ups and a decent selection of equipment for such a small store. I will definitely use them for corals.

Tropical Showcase Hicksville - I deal with Gene quite often. He's very reasonable and in my opinion has the best pre-cured live rock i've ever seen. All the rock i've bought from him have had the most life on it and the best algae unlike Aquarium Adventure which the rock cured in my tank for almost 2 months just started growing algae. His fish never have any spots or discoloration on them, but i do agree with other people that he does keep them in small tanks. I can try to talk to him about offering discounts for MR members. On top of all this he's honest and wouldn't sell me fish or corals or anything until he was sure my tank was fully ready.

Those are my experiences at these places but i haven't really been anywhere else yet.
Closed Thread