Jpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have 3 scollys, one, the skin is tight over it's skeleton and I can't get it to feed unless I force food in it's mouth, tentacles won't come out, another is almost totally receding. I don't know what to do. I have acan lighting and the scollys are in a semi shaded area.

PH 8.2
Alk 9.9
Cal 470
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphates undetectable. IMAG0211.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I wouldn't force feed. I have 2 open brains. One eats all the time and the other just opens its mouth and blows the food away. I am nor sure about scolys but brains get most of what they need from light. I am sure that when it realy need to get some protien it will open up.

Jaynie1028

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I feed mine every 2 to 3 days. I shut off all my pumps and put the food right on top of them. They then open their mouths and swell up. 10 mins later all the food is gone. I have one that wasn't doing well at all. It was totally dying. I moved it out of my tank and put it in another tank and months later it has 70 percent came back. Then other one I have is doing amazing and it is always swelled up.

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I think this is the fate of nearly every one of them in captivity. I had the same lack of success despite success with other corals and no obvious problems (slow recession) several years ago with the one and only one I've ever personally owned (before the gorgeous but ridiculously expensive "rare" ones were everywhere). Every other advanced hobbyist I've talked to about this that has tried them says the same. Of the untold thousands that are coming into the country, I have seen not more than a tiny handful that were alive after a year or more in captivity.

The most likely explanation for our lack of success, especially given the pattern of decline, is that we are simply not giving them anywhere near enough of the right kind of food and they are starving, but we have yet to figure out what the right kind of food is. Larger particles like those that most corals will take and thrive on don't seem to do the trick. Perhaps they need a more continuous rain of small particulate material???

Whatever the answer, we haven't come close to figuring it out yet. These guys are, IMHO, the next Goniopora (especially G. stokesii): beautiful corals that most people buy at some point, that survive for awhile, but that ultimately decline due to starvation in almost every case.

I really wish I could give you some useful advice, but the only cases of success I've seen are inexplicable flukes with no obvious reason for the apparent success, whereas in the vast majority of cases the corals decline further and further until they die. I am very sorry I can't offer advice to prevent that :(

cj

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Unfortunately, I think this is the fate of nearly every one of them in captivity. I had the same lack of success despite success with other corals and no obvious problems (slow recession) several years ago with the one and only one I've ever personally owned (before the gorgeous but ridiculously expensive "rare" ones were everywhere). Every other advanced hobbyist I've talked to about this that has tried them says the same. Of the untold thousands that are coming into the country, I have seen not more than a tiny handful that were alive after a year or more in captivity.

The most likely explanation for our lack of success, especially given the pattern of decline, is that we are simply not giving them anywhere near enough of the right kind of food and they are starving, but we have yet to figure out what the right kind of food is. Larger particles like those that most corals will take and thrive on don't seem to do the trick. Perhaps they need a more continuous rain of small particulate material???

Whatever the answer, we haven't come close to figuring it out yet. These guys are, IMHO, the next Goniopora (especially G. stokesii): beautiful corals that most people buy at some point, that survive for awhile, but that ultimately decline due to starvation in almost every case.

I really wish I could give you some useful advice, but the only cases of success I've seen are inexplicable flukes with no obvious reason for the apparent success, whereas in the vast majority of cases the corals decline further and further until they die. I am very sorry I can't offer advice to prevent that :(

cj

+1...its a coral that shouldnt be kept in a aquarium.yes they are beautiful but i havent heard of many success stories with scolys

Jpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Wow, I guess I'm not the only one. I read that they were hardy and easy to keep, oh well another expensive lesson. The scolly is pulled tight over it's skeleton and the mouth is always open, I put pellets in it's mouth but it's doing no good.

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
I know that my two scoly don't like direct light and not much flow. In order for their feeding tentacles to come out I must have the lights out. Even my moonlights must be off. I feed meat chunks of silversides and pe mysis.

Jpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Just an update, scollys are coming back, the green one is starting to puff up again and the one that was receding is starting to grow back and it's feeder tentacles are coming out.

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, scollys are coming back, the green one is starting to puff up again and the one that was receding is starting to grow back and it's feeder tentacles are coming out.

That's great news! I really hope they turn the corner and do well for you. As I said above, I have seen a very few that seemed to do well inexplicably. Most of them end up slowly going down hill regardless of the expertise of their caretaker, and regardless of the seeming overall health of the tank. I do hope that yours beat the odds :D

cj

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: