Manhattan Reefs

Manhattan Reefs (https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/)
-   LPS (https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/lps/)
-   -   Star polyps only comes out in sump (https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/lps/129369-star-polyps-only-comes-out-sump.html)

trinimaddness 07-23-2012 02:59 PM

Star polyps only comes out in sump

for some strange reason my star polyps only opens in sump..i have a 75 gal with two overflows that leads to sump.My return pump is a lil bit small at 500 gal per hour..i have reef capable led lighting and two circulation pumps in DT.. my readings are currently ...kh 7-125.4 cal 360 po 0 ph 8.4 nit,trate, am all 0....any suggestions??? i only have a purple mushroom and a few fishes and the mushroom also doesnt open up as it should....

PHiLiPSKim 07-23-2012 03:08 PM

Power heads to strong. That was my problem.

trinimaddness 07-23-2012 03:22 PM

placed the SP in multiple locations ranging from low flow to high flow areas.low light to high lighted areas.. still no change..

trinimaddness 07-23-2012 03:23 PM

could it be my cal and alk to low?? im currently dosing to bring them up.. one thing i do not test for is mag..

dubs 07-23-2012 04:34 PM

High light and med flow and u should be good to go that stuff grow like crazy for me I frag it so often and that stuff come back almost faster than I frag it if ur in mv I am right on the boarder near Dyer avr if u want come by and look the field of it that I got

jgraz 07-23-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinimaddness (Post 1196205)
could it be my cal and alk to low?? im currently dosing to bring them up.. one thing i do not test for is mag..

You params will be the same in the sump as the DT. So thats not the problem. I would agree with above. Light and Flow. Mine grow like crazy and thet are about 27" under a 4x24" T5, with light flow. For what its worth though if I touch them they will not open for a few days. So if you try to move them you might want to give them a week or so in each spot.

trinimaddness 07-23-2012 05:46 PM

dont know how true this statement is but the guy at my lfs said theres more cal down there due to the fact that its below...i do have my leds propped up about 6-8 inches above my tank.. im going to try bringing lower to see if the outcome changes

shmibly 07-23-2012 09:14 PM

From my experience with this coral the more you move it the more upset it becomes. When I first got them they didn't come out for weeks.

trinimaddness 07-23-2012 09:21 PM

mines been closed for about 2wks.. but when i put it in sump and leave it for a few hours they start coming out

dubs 07-23-2012 10:31 PM

been lower in a tank have nothing to do with it i have the same coral high and low in my tank and it grow the same way fast lol i do agree tho that its a funny coral that if u move it around or it not comfy sometimes it take a long while to come back some it just dies trinimaddness try some of the one i got i got 2 kinds and they grow like crazy if not then gsp just dont like ur tank i got one or 2 coral that i dont have luck with by the way do u have any fish that might nip at it that might be the issue also ??