cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
A few weeks ago I got a really nice was hammer. I put it in my dads tank and haven't been back to visit in 2-3 weeks. When I came to visit tonight I found it had tipped forward into the sand. The part that was buried in the sand died. I would say the whole thing is about 6" and maybe up to 1/2 is now dead. There isn't any rotting flesh it is just the white skeleton. What if anything can I do and how concerned should I be?

This is how I found it:
9jru.jpg

This is what it looks like (sorry for the crappy pic and lights were going out):
ib95.jpg

Last edited:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
what type of flow do you have it in ? where did you get it from ?

This happened from tipping over into the sand and not getting light. The good news is the rest of it is looking really good. Fingers crossed. I cleaned it real good tonight. I will keep an eye on it and cut/glue/dip if need be.

jr973

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
415   0   0
I would chop off the dead tissue maybe even fraggin alil past the dead tissue my lucky charms hammer for some reason started to die and I fragged it off immediately did a 5min revive dip and she was saved id say still a good 5" long if not bigger goodluck with yours hope that gem makes it

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
415   0   0
I would put it in a high flow area off the sand and leave it alone. If you think it needs a dip do it. Don't cut the skeleton. Here is the recovery my hammer made. I bought I got it for 5 bucks because of it' condition. I dipped it, blew the dying tenticles off with a baster, put in a high flow are and left it alone.

7e9067a3bf6f41f233c4f26d111ad1c7_zps43fdd4e6.jpg

780fa17baf96c1a059a09e2d89fb2a70_zps23c83e01.jpg

Here is a video a week after I got it. I don't have a current shot of the hammer but it at least doubled in size in the last 6 months. I wouldn't concider it dead yet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KnafhKzDSw0

Do you have a top shot of the coral how it looks now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: