FrostyNYC

Nano Tank N00b
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Torch, frogspawn, or hammer? Which is your favorite and why?

I'm really torn about which I'd like to add to my tank (12 gallon nano), and since real estate is at a premium I can only have one. It seems they all require similar care, so I figure its just a matter of personal preference mostly?

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i like all three but i think the torch are more deadly i put one in my tank like 2 months ago and it kill two colony of another coral that i put it next to and they were not that close

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Generally speaking, Hammers and Frogspawns sting less than Torches (from my experience).

You should just start off with 1 head of what you like and then take it from there. Growth will depend on conditions and real estate space (affects the rate). See Below.

ie. This is my frogspawn when it was in my 14 gallon. It's the Pink Ball in the Middle. It stayed about the same size for 2 months...
DSC_04362.jpg

Then I gave it more room and I upgraded. It's right next to the yellow tang. This is about 4 months in
FTS.jpg

aznt1217

johnsonlee42

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I like the torch the most because it's more dramatic in the right kind of current, but as everyone else is saying it really depends on what kind of room you have. In terms of size (I have all three), the hammer will take up the least space, the frogspawn expands a bit more than the hammer, and the torch expands the most.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
it depends on the torch/ light and flow mine is in nice medium flow and trust me it reach the full 8" it killed a large xenia colony i had growing and some yumas that had been throw some rought times in my tank ...not that i miss those coral they grow like crazy for me

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: