Manhattan Aquariums

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 95.7%
90   4   0
Has anyone seen a hippo tang with this coloration before? It came from a service client's tank we recently broke down...the original owner says it's been same color for several years now.

IMG_9730.jpg

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Right now, we're contemplating on putting him in our new display being built...but Joe says if someone makes the right offer... :) Feel free to PM if interested.

oh no this is turning into ebay......lol..... ok i'll start with $1...... lol :joke: ummm.....mod's might have a problem with this???

pm'd---no joke. thanks, tom

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I've seen ones that have had a lot of yellow, though they where usually on the very large side. Don't think I've seen one as small as 2" with a lot of yellow, not even the Yellow Belly tangs. Tobin do you have a picture of it? Is that yellow on the front of face or erosion?

One that I do want is a Black Hippo tang. The LFS on Broadway had one after the black out a number of years ago. They're suppose to come from Hawaii but I was never able to track one down.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Didn't have the good camera skills then,,lol.. No picture.. He grew to be about 4.5 in and the color was more pronounced as it reached 4 in.. It looked almost white at 2in.. Their faces seem to do that after 4inches.. The dots on their faces get bigger and looks like the fish is breaking down after 4 inches that's why I traded it also the reason why the new set up will have some nice acanthurus tangs...

W

wolfeman8870

Rating - 100%
122   0   0
black hippo tang

i have had this hippo tang now for four months, and when i got it , it was normal color. dori from nemo movie. now it is all black except for yellow tail and a small blue oval on each side. i took some photos and showed it to my local fish store and they said they have never seen or heard of anything like this. said it was worth thousands. anyone out there knows anything i sure could use some advise. you can email me for a photo at [email protected]

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
122   0   0
i have had this hippo tang now for four months, and when i got it , it was normal color. dori from nemo movie. now it is all black except for yellow tail and a small blue oval on each side. i took some photos and showed it to my local fish store and they said they have never seen or heard of anything like this. said it was worth thousands. anyone out there knows anything i sure could use some advise. you can email me for a photo at [email protected]

Post a pic!!!

CancerverO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
at some point my hippo was getting dark to the point that its belly was not light blue anymore. it was more like dark blue/black.. then I upgraded and improved water quality and now he is back the way it is supposed to be - intense blue.. a pic will help..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: