Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Plenty of free information and articles on the internet. If you haven't set anything up yet even better. The absolute first thing you should do is learn about what your getting into before even putting water in the tank.

Familiarize yourself with water chemistry, its gonna be the foundation of your success. Research the different types of saltwater aquariums that people keep and look into different types of equipment for what your planning on keeping. I would go ahead and gather all the basic equipment you'll need too...ahead of time just to prepare yourself. Advanced aquarist is a pretty good site, as well as reef keeping magazine. If you come across something that you cant find an answer to online...just ask. I'm sure someone has experienced the same problem and can offer some advice.

Some names you can try looking up are Mike paletta and randy Holmes-Farley..guys that have a pretty good knowledge of saltwater and tanks to prove it. YouTube has some good channels that cater to novice and experienced reefers.

Most importantly...go slow! Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Last edited:

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Good info/advice from dakotakid.....I would also suggest going through some of the posts both here on MR and also on Reef Central....a wealth of knowledge. Take your time and learn from other's mistakes. Best of luck............

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Ty..and when u get to the point where ur starting to add fish or coral...research what ur buying. Sometimes certain fish and coral require special diets, lighting, housing etc that maybe your not set up to handle or it's more tedious than you want to be dealing with.

Nothing more discouraging than buying a fish/coral and watching in wither away in a few days because your caring for it insufficiently. We've all been there...a fish catches your eye but it grows to a foot long and you've only got a 10 gallon tank. Lol resist the temptation.

Good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: