Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure most of us old timers see how much this site has changed, especially since swaps ceased to exist anda aside from the sketchy hobbyists that have joined the site. My point is that there just doesn't seem to be any organization on the site anymore, it's kinda like a free for all, threads get hijacked all the time by vultures, posts are in the wrong categories/sub-forums and people get reckless with arguing and what not. Anyways, I miss the old site and overall way the hobby used to be. Hard to imagine it will ever go back to the way it was. Wondering if anyone else (especially old time members) feel the same...

SimonDraws

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure most of us old timers see how much this site has changed, especially since swaps ceased to exist anda aside from the sketchy hobbyists that have joined the site. My point is that there just doesn't seem to be any organization on the site anymore, it's kinda like a free for all, threads get hijacked all the time by vultures, posts are in the wrong categories/sub-forums and people get reckless with arguing and what not. Anyways, I miss the old site and overall way the hobby used to be. Hard to imagine it will ever go back to the way it was. Wondering if anyone else (especially old time members) feel the same...

Do Mods Exist Anymore on MR?​

They sure do. They've been busy deleting posts that would aid in protecting us as hobbyists from the scammers and those in it just for the money.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Things have differently changed, ive been out the hobby for alot of years , the hobby has changed and of course the site as well. I just adapt to what it is now and what i can't be like before.

S.R. Reefing

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think one of the reason that lack of MOD on this site is due to low profitability. U know full time staff is kind of expansive. Being a part time MOD out of love of the hobby, can't be sustainable. People have things to do in real life.

If people want this site to run more professionally, please find a way to support or help find some business model that could generate more income for the site. So it could actually hires full time to monitor the site.

Last edited:

S.R. Reefing

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know, MR could

1.host frag swap (charge vander + entry fee) Win-Win

2. charge memeber who list coral for sell, selling is a privilege, not a right ($25/year with 50 listings max)

3. Change how vander display their listing to draw more sponsors ( the way it is kinda suck)

And much more.

I would guess, since it's really not generating enough money as a business the way it is. Owner gives up thinking or working on it.

And ....it goes on.

I think one of the reason that lack of MOD on this site is due to low profitability. U know full time staff is kind of expansive. Being a part time MOD out of love of the hobby, can't be sustainable. People have things to do in real life.

If people want this site to run more professionally, please find a way to support or help find some business model that could generate more income for the site. So it could actually hires full time to monitor the site.

You know I thought it was a volunteer position to be a mod. When I first started I thought you got promoted from regular member to moderator lol

It's funny because even people you least expect to do sketchy stuff are getting wrapped up in the same behavior.

Currently I have a situation where someone agreed to sell me something but I offered him less than he was asking, sure enough he agreed on the price and we just had to set up a pick up date and time. I reached out multiple times in the last few days to possibly pick up this weekend. Come to find out I'm pretty sure he sold it to someone else (he's a well known vendor on here btw) because the other buyer gave him his asking price. Now mind you, if I was told he wouldn't accept my offer I probably would have bought it for his asking price because I really wanted it but he agreed to my offer. I reached out to someone else and he said he'll have him give me a call tomorrow. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now but if I got screwed like this I'll definitely be dropping names. I had a similar situation with this vendor a few years back over a clam so I ain't letting it slide again because as a vendor he should have a little more regard on his word than just any member on here.

Funny thing is, the same thing happened about a month ago with a different vendor and kudos to him for being a man of his word and letting me buy what we had agreed on even though he openly told me someone else was ready to buy it at a higher price. Let's see how this situation pans out and maybe names will be dropped.

S.R. Reefing

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's funny because even people you least expect to do sketchy stuff are getting wrapped up in the same behavior.

Currently I have a situation where someone agreed to sell me something but I offered him less than he was asking, sure enough he agreed on the price and we just had to set up a pick up date and time. I reached out multiple times in the last few days to possibly pick up this weekend. Come to find out I'm pretty sure he sold it to someone else (he's a well known vendor on here btw) because the other buyer gave him his asking price. Now mind you, if I was told he wouldn't accept my offer I probably would have bought it for his asking price because I really wanted it but he agreed to my offer. I reached out to someone else and he said he'll have him give me a call tomorrow. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now but if I got screwed like this I'll definitely be dropping names. I had a similar situation with this vendor a few years back over a clam so I ain't letting it slide again because as a vendor he should have a little more regard on his word than just any member on here.

Funny thing is, the same thing happened about a month ago with a different vendor and kudos to him for being a man of his word and letting me buy what we had agreed on even though he openly told me someone else was ready to buy it at a higher price. Let's see how this situation pans out and maybe names will be dropped.
I understand your frustration. It doesn't really have anything to do with Mod or this site, it's just people being greedy.

Back to topic, think about how MOD would feel if they are volunteering for this job spend hours of their time working on this site, not getting paid but getting complained on.

I am not saying people shouldn't complain, it's just they need to make money in order to do a better job.

Just look at Wikipedia....they can't even survive.

mellotang

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
It’s sad that we need to be moderated

reefers used to be cool, friendly
We used to trade n chill

now everyone thinks their mariculture Tenuis they just bought is a designer “wet dream LE super shag polyp with extraterrestrial rainbow color”

come on everyone, don’t you know I’m the only one that can grow corals like that

SimonDraws

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can't let it slide. Need to call them out. Biggest issue is all these kats have zero integrity bro.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Volunteer can't be sustainable, or monitor the site in a way to satisfy users expectation.

Back to topic, think about how MOD would feel if they are volunteering for this job spend hours of their time working on this site, not getting paid but getting complained on.

I am not saying people shouldn't complain, it's just they need to make money in order to do a better job.

Can only speak for myself, but if I was offered $ to moderate this forum, I’d refuse it!
Although I’m retired, I do have a lot to do everyday ( just bought a new house and planning to move over 1200g of saltwater tanks) and I try to check the site multiple times per day. I would guess that I delete/ban over 10 Spammers every single day! You don’t see that spam because I and the other mods have already removed it...same with insults, threats and name calling as I see them.

I also try to move threads to the correct forum and correct any misspellings in the titles.

The ‘Mod Squad’ is probably less than 1/2 the number that it was 5 years ago, but we are active and trying our best to keep this site enjoyable.

Everyone is welcome to PM me if they see something that needs to be looked at... if we don’t know the answer, we will check with the rest of the staff to see what to do.

For the record, I was in the car business my entire life, so complaints do not bother me! And since I’m a short, fat, old guy with heart problems, you don’t need to worry about me showing up on your doorstep!
;)

I wonder why the cut down on the "Mod Squad", they should open it back up to some of the older members.

But yes Alfie, I know you're one of the top notch members on here and I'm glad you're one of the mods that are left.

If you ever need back up in case you wanted to show up at someone's doorstep, you can always give me a call

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

SimonDraws

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can only speak for myself, but if I was offered $ to moderate this forum, I’d refuse it!
Although I’m retired, I do have a lot to do everyday ( just bought a new house and planning to move over 1200g of saltwater tanks) and I try to check the site multiple times per day. I would guess that I delete/ban over 10 Spammers every single day! You don’t see that spam because I and the other mods have already removed it...same with insults, threats and name calling as I see them.

I also try to move threads to the correct forum and correct any misspellings in the titles.

The ‘Mod Squad’ is probably less than 1/2 the number that it was 5 years ago, but we are active and trying our best to keep this site enjoyable.

Everyone is welcome to PM me if they see something that needs to be looked at... if we don’t know the answer, we will check with the rest of the staff to see what to do.

For the record, I was in the car business my entire life, so complaints do not bother me! And since I’m a short, fat, old guy with heart problems, you don’t need to worry about me showing up on your doorstep!
;)
@albano

Maybe this is why everyone dislikes this forum now. A seemingly useful and good post about an experience with a vendor with no integrity is just deleted and swept under the rug.

Had that post been positive feedback, would it have been removed?
Maybe you as the moderator can help us find out what happened?

YO - This is plain wrong Bro!

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 6.39.12 PM.jpeg

S.R. Reefing

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@albano

Maybe this is why everyone dislikes this forum now. A seemingly useful and good post about an experience with a vendor with no integrity is just deleted and swept under the rug.

Had that post been positive feedback, would it have been removed?
Maybe you as the moderator can help us find out what happened?

YO - This is plain wrong Bro!

View attachment 296285

I would imagine it's in the wrong section of the forum.

I see the post got deleted under vander sale. This post is not vander sale, it's more like a vander review (which IMO belong to general discussion) It's the same thing as people putting for sale post under general discussion, or greetings section which got the OP frustrated, then started this post.

Last edited:

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
The posts were put under the vendor forum, which are moderated by the vendor. The exact same post has been created in general for all to see. I really do not see what is the problem with a vendor wanting to take it privately and out of their own part of the forum. After all they are the bosses in there.

Honestly I wonder why the need to post it twice? Wouldn't once in general be more than enough?

The posts were put under the vendor forum, which are moderated by the vendor. The exact same post has been created in general for all to see. I really do not see what is the problem with a vendor wanting to take it privately and out of their own part of the forum. After all they are the bosses in there.

Honestly I wonder why the need to post it twice? Wouldn't once in general be more than enough?
The need to post it twice is, one to make a point that you can't just sweep it under the rug and two, if you're actually having the time to notice it and delete it, it would be nice to actually get a call back to try and salvage whatever is possible, instead it's just another slap in the face. But then again, good customer service doesn't seem like a strong suit so it's clearly too much to expect.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: