al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
can we see some pics that arent so big? its hard to get an idea of the rock work having to scroll....but good start, take your time and if u want corals definitely look into wingo's custom lights. i've dealt w him several times and his stuff is legit

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Your tank has nothing for the clean up crew to clean(eat).

you can use basically any eheim canister and remember to change you filter pad more frequent. It will be OK. The u-tubes should be small enough to hang inside. You may want to tie them and route the back cover of the hood assembly a bit bigger. Also makre you get newer versions with the valves on the hose so that you don't have prime every-time you do maintenance.

egriesner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Pics and need Salinity advice!

Hey guys a quick update, I started to add fish and other livestock today. Here's what I have so far:

2 tank bred clowns
1 cleaner shrimp
3 coral (not sure what they are) let me know if you can identify!

I also swapped out my carbon filter for chemipure. I checked my salinity and its 1.29. Is that a problem? Should I swap out some water for some fresh water? Pics to follow. Thanks.

10/5/12

W0svhl.jpg

Uwihfl.jpg

YnMuHl.jpg

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I believe you mean 1.029 not 1.29?

If you use ppt instead of sg, it will be much easier for you to estimate and adjust the salinity.

For eg, if your sg is 1.029 then you have about 39 ppt. Assume you have about 10G of water you have 390 parts. Therefore, if you remove 1/2G then you have 390*(10g-0.5g)=370 parts left. After you add FW back you got 37 ppt. Then next morning you remove 1/2 gallon again, 370*.95= 352 parts. So when you add back the FW, you get 35.2 ppt(~1.026) which is close to what most reefer keep their tank with. Changing the ppt at within 3ppt per time is quite safe.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Thanks but I want to make sure that it will fit in the fluival edge so I can mantain my stock look. Can anyone recommend something that can do that?
You can get the aquaclear 50 which is what some edge owners use to upgrade their filter.
If you decide to go with a canister, you have to be diligent with changing the filter pads as they are a detritus trap. I used an eheim 2213 before in my 6 gal edge and noted that water quality seems to deteriorate faster with the detritus build up. I had cyano bloom which was resolved when I switched back to the hob filter.
IMO the hob filter is the better choice as they are easier to maintain/clean.

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
tank looks good, i know you moved the rocks around alot already but you might want to try to create some space between the rocks for waterflow.

your initial list of fish your were considering seemed a little big. in a 12 gal i wouldnt pack more than 3 or 4 small fish in, especially if your not running a skimmer

good luck and keep updating w pics

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: