mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So I am starting my first Nano Tank - purchased a 12 Gal Aquapod off craigslist yesterday. At first I was told it was a Nano Cube, but have recently discovered it is actually an AP. The seller didn't have much info on the tank so I am assuming he never changed the lights. Tank is 2-3 years old I am told.

Right now I have the tank, the stock pump, a heater.

I have NOTHING else.

Here is an image of items I am purchasing online from Drs. Foster&Smith. I plan on having about 12-15 lbs of live rock and I will most likely purchase the live rock from a LFS - any thoughts on that? I am also planning on getting play sand (aragonite hopefully) from HD. I have read on other posts (been reading these things all night and day!) and they have said that my live rock can start up my dead sand as well as some of the dry rock. I am also purchasing new bulbs - upgrading from the 27 W to the 32 W - I've taken the hood apart to modify the fan and there appears to be 2 small LEDS in the hood. If anyone can verify this and going into further detail I WILL LOVE YOU! I've been trying to find info on this.

I think I have everything I need but please give me some input - I want to do this right and have the least amount of casualties!

Since this is my first go at saltwater and I plan on taking it slow I just want to cycle the tank, get some live rock and sand going, and then introduce 2-3 small fish and a cleaning crew. I don't know jack about corals or frags or any of that business, so it may be a FOWLR tank for a while until I get more info on lighting etc.

And since I am replacing my stock pump with the MJ 900 can I use the stock pump as a powerhead - and should I also invest in a nozzle?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 12.12.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 12.12.17 PM.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 514

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Stopped by Pacific Aquariums today - they were great - had lots of great insight and useful info about getting started! I'll definitely be back. Is $9.99/lb of live rock the standard? Or should I order online?

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
kind of expensive.. see if any local hobbyists have some available. also, if you go with play sand, get a cup of live sand from someone local to seed your tank. for a powerhead, i'd look into a Vortech mp10, or a koralia if you don't have the funds. the small LEDs are moonlights.

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So I purchased some live sand, rubble, Instant Ocean, and filter pads tonight... Mixed up some salt water and will let it set over night before adding the live sand tomorrow. They guy at the LFS said the sand would be fine in the bag over night as long as it didn't get too hot or cold - any thoughts on that?

Also, the water temp is still a little cold in the tank, if I add the rubble in the back tonight before it warms up will it die?

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So, I ordered some base rock online that I intend to add to the tank along with LR, that I might purchase form a forum member and possibly some more dry sand as well.

Are there any issues I should be concerned about? LR quality from member? Does the base rock need to be cured before adding? Can I mix live sand with dry sand? Can all this be added to tank while I wait for it to cycle?

SOOOO MANNNY QUEESTTTIONSSSSS!!

Last edited:

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey, I finally have everything in place I think!

Went to Pacific Aquarium and purchased 10lbs of Live sand and 6lbs of LR. I've added those to the tank with about 6lbs of base rock. Don't think I have room for any more substrate or rocks. Also have about 2 lbs of rubble in the a chamber in the rear. Right now its got between 10 and 11 gallons of water and is full so I don't want to displace any more.

I think at this point it is just a waiting game now right?

Temp is at about 78, salinity is ~1.024, Ammonia is .25 ppm and pH is little low 8.1-8.2... Hopefully by the time this thing cycles (2 or 3 weeks) everything will more stable.

Duro, thanks a lot for the offer, it's appreciated and I'll make sure I remember it in the future!

mdenesha

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Any ideas for a CUC? My ammonia and nitrates are 0 - nitrites are ~1

I purchased 2 Encrusted Astraea snails (not sure they were labeled correctly), 1 blue legged hermit crab, and an Emerald Crab. I know I need much more, what are your thoughts??

Also - should I order this from reefs2go?

http://www.reefs2go.com/product/INV_NANO10PACK/Live-Saltwater-Algae-Eating-Crew.html

Seems like it might be a bit much for my 12 gal

Tbone Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That seems like a lot. Snails will poop a ton.

I have 2 bumblebee snails, 1 nassarius (refugium), 1 large turbo and 2 large astrea.

I have about 6 hermits, 2 large (dwarf zebra tip, and dwarf yellow tip) and the rest are small.

If you want the dwarf yellow tip (PM me), I am looking to rehome him. He likes to pick up my frags and redecorate! Currently in the refugium.
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/nano-tanks/146231-fluval-spec-v.html

I also have a porcelain crab and banded coral shrimp. The porcelain doesn't really move, around much, but does have cool looking fan feeder arms.

I would start minimally and see what your system needs. Buy larger snails, that way your crabs aren't as prone to killing them. Found that out the hard way.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: