tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, you asked how long it was running. i set it up 9-2-2002.

i've got better pics on nano-reef.com (only slightly better tho :roll: ) but it shows some progression. i recently changed the 7200K bulb with an 8000K/12000K dual tone bulb from marine depot. i like the new light coloration better.

Freedom75@work

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the up draft is there a way you could also modify that to possible skim. I would be very intresred in building one of these systems. the lights you are using are they PC or are they normal lighting

John

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the galaxy light i use is a pc. i replaced the stock 7200K bulb.

you're right, the updraft can be modified to become a skimmer. i did that with my 1st nano back a couple of years ago (1g hex w/ a true ug & updraft). i drilled out the top of the updraft to accept a larger flexi-hose, which the air feed line was threaded thru. the larger diameter of the hose on top of the updraft (inserted to be almost flush with the top of the updraft) acted as the collecting 'cup' for the gunk. worked pretty well (i kept xenia and a clown, hey i was a nano noob :oops: ), i had to clean it out a couple of times a week.

the problems i encountered then was temp control and evaporation (salinity). both issues brandon has since solved in his units. i still have problems temp-wise tho.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id be more concerned about heating it consistently than skimming it... it sure is hard to do in the winter// but if you did skim it you could have some nice higher life forms in there!
but I guarantee it can be done if one tweaks with the pico cubes long enough. one thing I liked about the old system was its snap-on lids, they sealed tightly with some added teflon tape. I am really wanting to try a goby in a pico system, I say they will be fine in there if the nitrogen is handled correctly. this is a potential flame attractant :)

b429

Freedom75@work

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if heating is an issue are you saying it is getting to hot. If so that would not be a problem. I laptop cpu fan would solve that problem by removing the heat from the bulbs. or are you saying you have no way to heat it. I was thinking of a way to convert the updraft to a skimmer and I like the idea you had. I like the dual cube design thought because of the refugium off to the side. I was thinking of actual makeing a stand and putting the refugium in the bottom like a sump and instead of a downdraft tube you could have it drop striaght down to the bottom with a valve on it to adjust the downflow and then you could put a SMALL power head for the return pump. basically a small sump under the stand.

John :D

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the over/under idea is pretty good. i thought brandon did something like that already actually. gravity feed also provides surface skimming (+). i've been thinking of modifying a terrarium into a multi-level nano like john suggests. i should have something in a couple of months. :)

like brandon notes i became more concerned with the temp fluctuations (up and down) than the skimming, hence no skimmer attempts on the present pico. i'll leave those advanced stages (fish) for brandon. :wink: neon or citron goby :twisted: .

topoff was the other concern but like i said brandon solved that by sealing the system. :wink:

i'm still struggling to get good coral growth. night time heating has been my concern of late. no heaters small enough or consistent enough imo.

MarkO1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, you guys are nuts...
but I guess I'm a nut too then... I think my cube at work needs a cube... :P
I like the mini 75, where did you find that thing???
Brandon, I came up with a volume of 41.6 oz, based on 998.4 oz/c.f. of course that's based on RO/DI water at 40ºF, so you still need to factor in the density. :wink: not to mention the sand and rock. But either way, I quaff that equivalency in beer in an hour.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8)

Attachments

• a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 178
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 327
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 325
  • bare vase rock shrimp.jpg
    bare vase rock shrimp.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 316
  • verybrightlightmini75_2.jpg
    verybrightlightmini75_2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 325
  • nexttoapencilreef.jpg
    nexttoapencilreef.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 333

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lmao you guys are funny. nice calculations MarkO :)

Freedom75 snap pics if you build that under-tank sump. One thing is for sure, it would be nice to have the separate areas for adding chems (Ca etc)

Just thinking of something I forsee as a future thread subject. Fish/pico discussions always draws the flame from fish keepers!
The smallest reef I have that I would consider housing a fish is the reefbowl (1 gallon and even that is risky) these cube and betta hex picos are CO (coral only).

Heres another older pic of the cube reef under the first micro lighting system I put together, first time pics here. thought they were lost...

This was an array of LED lights form radioshack installed in a mini project box. It looks like a miniature halide canopy, and over a pico reef its rather bright. this model isnt bright enough though, so its been relegated to the drawer. this cost 50 dollars total to build with 4 leds per color group, but I will need to have at least 16 white and 16 blue led's to light a cube reef properly.

pros and cons of using LEDS to power nano reef setups:
1. low-no heat. no fans necessary even over a large array.
2. long life without spectral shift.
3. the blue ones will cause corals to flouresce, they are indeed little actinics.
4. I dont know if the white ones have any decent PAR but they seemed to.

cons:

very expensive. radioslack charges 3 dollars per led for the larger, brighter ones. remember we needed about 32 to do it right.

b429

Attachments

• minihalidelightmodel.jpg
    minihalidelightmodel.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 3,707

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sitting on top of the cube reef, right over a tiny sarcophyton frag. although a fun project, this was not enough light so I switched to the galaxy light 13 watt pc (bad ___ aren't they rcsheng!)

Attachments

• reefcube.jpg
    reefcube.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 3,840

Freedom75@work

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D

Nice looking Job. I have a little electronic experince but it has been a while but I would be intrested in finding out if there is a cheaper alternative for getting the LED's than radio shack. I have also seen small MH sets like 50 watt heat would be a problem but the heat can be controlled. but I am still at a lose on finding ballast for minuture PC or MH for a good price. I have looked at a 2.5 gallon tank Also when really would be a Nano I guess but It would allow me to build Skimmer on inside of tank out of site and also use a small power head (maybe aquaGlobe) . But still stuck on lighting needs

JOhn

Oh by the way I was impressed with the LED array Good Job

bdelaney

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find these LEDs at www.allelectronics.com or other electronics surplus dealers. $2.00 for the white ones, and $1.75 for the blue ones. You have to pay shipping, so it might not make a difference unless you are ordering a lot of them.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks BDelaney for that alternate dealer, I would buy in bulk and will check them out!

Now I am very interested to find a 50 watt halide setup, thats perfect for the reefbowl setup. havent heard of one of those...

hows your tank doing B> can you snap an update pic?

brandon429

tinyreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey brandon, someone over at nr recently mentioned a 35w MH. i'm not sure about the specs but he was positive they're out there.

i like the LED option tho. absolutc had mentioned something about that a couple months back. that is a very kewl setup you had there! 8) i hadn't seen those pics before.

i'm hoping the T5's get down to this level. there are little battery operated fixtures (about 8") but the spectrum's off.

btw on the fish topic. i thought you had a neon goby in the pico lamp? do you use any snails at all? (ceriths or small nass.)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brandon,
As far as using the LED great idea if it is the right color. If you want really bright for cheap you can get an LED headlamp from any outdoor sports store from around 19-35 dollars. Very Very bright. ( I use them at work)

good luck it looks great
Beemer

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now Beemer that is a great idea, I havent heard of many things that use an LEd array that I could take apart and use the white/blue bulb config. What power supply does that use, batteries? If so, I might find a corresponding radioshack power supply and get it some alternate DC input so it can be a continual light source. awesome idea!

sere

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon,
as far as power supply the one I have runs on 2 c batt or 4 AA batts. I have no idea if they can run dc or not. Sorry
beemer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: