James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I bought a beach house last year and rent it out for most of the year. It is directly on the 2nd largest reef in the world (the Mesoamerican) on an Island in what is now Honduras. They speak English there as it was a British Colony. The Island is called Utila. The snorkeling in front of my house is absolutely among the best in the Caribbean. There is so much coral and sea life there you will be amazed. I even had dolphins there this summer. The following are the links you will need.

My place: http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/220695

more pics of my place and property

Pics from the reef that surrounds the island (from my real estate broker/friend/underwater cameraman)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.142476822216.119831.49260437216&type=3

Here is an article from NY Magazine on the island (yes, it is the only place in the world with Whale Shark sightings all year round). (my friend took this video on Jan 28, 2012) 5 min boatride from my house) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=csW7GtU42ZM

http://nymag.com/travel/weekends/utila/

The island is super safe and I could help you arrange all travel once you get your plane tickets. The cheapest airport to fly to is SAP and the closest is RTB. Once you get to the island, the prices are amazing. Drinks at a bar are 1.25$-2$, a meal at a restaurant will cost you about 5$-10$ if you splurge. There are tons of good restaurants and nightlife on the island and there are 12 dive shops. There are kayak, paddleboard and ATV/moped/golfcart rentals if you like that kind of stuff. If you don't know how to dive, Utila is the best and cheapest place to learn. Most shops are fully Padi Certified and one has Naui certification too (Alton's). I have a deal with Altons where they pick you up from the house if you dive or learn to dive with them. Any questions shoot me a PM. :)

Last edited:

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The cheapest airport to fly to is SAP (San Pedro Sula on the mainland) and the closest is RTB which is Roatan which is an island near Utila that is big and crime ridden and full of resorters and cruiseships (not at all what Utila is like) Depending on where you fly into you would take a taxi or bus to the ferry or catamaran to Utila. I would help arrange that part of it as it can be confusing if you are not used to traveling.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Looks great James how did u come across it ?? Looks beautiful there

I traveled for almost a year after I got my masters degree and this was/is one of my favorite places out of over 30 counties. The island is described by people who remember as the Caribbean before resorts and cruises. It is not for everybody, if you are looking to get pampered , Utila is not for you, if you like the reef and snorkeling or diving, this is the place to be.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The Bay Islands of Honduras are great. I dived all over these and some of the most abundant octopus gardens I have ever seen.
A little off the beaten path but that is where some of the most interesting places left are.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The Bay Islands of Honduras are great. I dived all over these and some of the most abundant octopus gardens I have ever seen.
A little off the beaten path but that is where some of the most interesting places left are.

At night, the Octopus are plentiful, I see them in the day too but not nearly as often. Night diving is the best. Even the night snorkeling on the reef is really awesome.

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
Amazing place! This is something that Mark and I will definitely be looking into after we have the baby and need to escape! The flights don't even look that expensive.

Just curious, it says that it can accommodate 2 people, I'm assuming because there is one bed. Is there room for an extra 1-2 adults if they were to sleep on a floor or cot?

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Amazing place! This is something that Mark and I will definitely be looking into after we have the baby and need to escape! The flights don't even look that expensive.

Just curious, it says that it can accommodate 2 people, I'm assuming because there is one bed. Is there room for an extra 1-2 adults if they were to sleep on a floor or cot?

Yes, There is room for 1 air mattress if you wanted. It would be tight but possible for sure. A better option in my opinion would be to sleep in a tent (or just string up another hammock) on the beach, it is quiet and soft and the sound of the water is very nice to fall asleep/pass out from ruminade to. I did that often in that hammock.

For reefers, this place is the absolute best. I don't think this opportunity exists anywhere else at this price range. The reef is super close and there are not hotels of tourists messing things up.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: