Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So for her birthday I got her one of the newest tiny Ipods. The girl in the store said just plug it into the computer and follow the instructions. I have two other IPods connected the machine so I figured, How hard could it be.
Of course I plug it in and nothing happens. Then I go through all the Help, tutorials and troubleshooters and as everyone knows, those things are never any help. So I re install I Tunes and up grade Windows. The thing still doesn't work.
I called Microsoft and after 45 minutes on hold, they told me it is not their problem. Then they sent me a questionaire about how I liked their service. You know what I wrote to them! :scratchch
Anyway, now I have about 3 hours invested in this stupid electronic piece of junk and all I was thinking about was what I would do the engineer who designed this thing if I had him in my hands. Then I called Apple. I got this Babe on the phone. (I can imagine whoever I want :) And after spending about half an hour, she said she has to get a supervisor. The supervisor came on and she was also a Supermodel. :bigeyes:
(read above in parenthesis) She was a very nice girl from Idaho who spoke perfect English which I was relieved about. So she walked me through almost 3 full hours of changing around software, hardware, wires etc. and although it was fun, the thing still does not work. Now I have about 6 hours invested in a $125.00 piece of junk. I can put it in my tank as a "live IPod" but it does light up and I don't know the K rating so I figured it would cause an algae bloom or force me to buy a phosphate test kit.
Apple had me do a bunch of tests and they will call me back on tuesday to "help" me some more.
I see a new computer in my future. :tired:

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Paul,
Feel free to call me and i will help anyway I can (im decent with this stuff).

Does the ipod have power? They generally ship with a little juice, but perhaps it died or even you usb port has gone bad?7

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Plug it in into a wall charger if you have one. See if it boots up.

Also with the new iPods etc. you need to download the latest ver. Of iTunes or it won't work.

Also try a hard reset.
Press the play button (top)
And the middle or bottom button. That should reset it if it's stuck for some reason.

All else fails. Return that sucker!!
They'll give you a new one.

Thanx
-Joe

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
How old is your PC?
About 2 years.
After 4 hours on the phone with the Apple tech I am sure we did every test there is including re installing I Tunes 4 times. The thing was charged over night. They did a number of tests on my computer and that information was sent to the Apple engineers to figure it out. They are supposed to call me on tuesday.
They say it is not the IPod but the software. The IPod is fine. It does everything it is supposed to do but the computer does not recognize the software. Even without the IPod the computer is supposed to find the software.
I can get a new computer if I have to . Now computers are cheap and about the same price as an IPod.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
OK I got rid of that IPod that I could not get to work. Now I got her an IPod touch. Another piece of junk. I like something with gears and transmission fluid, maybe a couple of belts. This electronic junk never works.
How do you get the thing to connect to the internet?
the Wi-Fi is on
or I can choose7FD71 (like I am supposed to know what that means)
or "Other" or "ask to join networks" Oh and it wants a password. How about "open sesame?"
I have been asking for an hour and I don't know who to ask.
I don't see any internet bars so I assume it isn't connected.
Before I throw it out the window (which is the next step, ) Is there a simple way to get the thing to work.
If I was on a desert Island I could build you a flat screen TV from a coconut, and if it was a good coconut, I can make it in HD, but I can't get this stupid thing to get on the internet. (which by the way we got along fine without for 3 million years)
headwally.gif

I want a simple answer like hit it "here" with a hammer.
I read the 400 pages of instructions that I got online and where it tells you how to connect to the internet it says "connect it to the internet"
That is the instruction on a $200.00 thing to connect it to the internet.
Thats like if I wanted to find out how to shoot myself and the instructions say to "shoot myself."
I want to meet this engineer who wrote these instructions and the instructions on my last iPod and also the guy who designed where to put the starter on my boat. I have an entire list of people I want to meet.
mad02.gif

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
luckily for the IPod my good friend Rookie07 called me right away and walked me through it. The password is on a sticker on the side of my Fios router. Now would that have been so hard for them to put in the instructions? Something like "for all of you old guys, if you have Fios, look at the sticker on the side of the Fios Box and type that in."
Simple. But, NOOOOOO. They say, insert password. Like Duh. I still want to meet that engineer.:furious:
They could make this stuff so simple but they are so stupid that it goes right over their head. Now I need to find the guy that designed my boat engine. I also have a few words for him.:uzi:
I hate badly designed machinery. It drives me crazy. If you can't do it right, quit your job and become a toll collector. (not that there is anything wrong with being a toll collector) :worried:

Keep the iPod and return yourself , I dont think mp3 players are you friendly!

This is an Idea

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I hate badly designed machinery. It drives me crazy. If you can't do it right, quit your job and become a toll collector. (not that there is anything wrong with being a toll collector) :worried:

This is an Idea

Paul,

I'm 3/4s through reading Steve Jobs' biography and he is rolling over in his grave after that quote:biglaugh:. I'm no Apple fan boy (don't really own any apple products), all his life he designed everything to be beautiful and to be easy to use and not products that are intimidating to people.

Steven

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry Paul B its not you, Steve and Apple didnt make anything easy to use on purpose I hate steve and Apple they made everything hard to use and rip you off. I will never ever again install IripoffTunes on any comp i own. Itunes has to be the worst program ever. It takes everything over and even when you switch everything back on reboot it takes it all back over, didnt they sew Microsoft for that when they were small. Good thing some smart people made small free programs to put music on an Ipod and it dosent have to come from Itunes. Oh then the great Ipad. My son had to have one a little over a year ago, hurt me to give Apple any money, and of course whats the first thing you have to do(besides charge the battery) give it a credit card number before you can even turn it on. Criminals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: