Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So I got this pain in my shoulder and I go to a doctor and of course he takes an X Ray and tells me I have impingement. OK no big deal.
Then he does an MRI and tells me my rotator cuff is completely torn off the bone. I have no recolection of ripping this thing.:frown:
I tore the other side rotator cuff 20 years ago but that was from surfing and I broke some bones, dislocated the shoulder and tore some other ligaments. It was also very painful and I knew I at least did something.
This time I don't even remember doing it. And it is not that painful.
Either I am a "real Man" and pain doesn't bother me, or more likely, I did something stupid and because I am old, I forgot.
At that time, 20 years ago, they were not that big on arthroscopic surgery and they took off my arm and sent it out for repair. :bigeyes2: They don't do that anymore and do it all through Sissy arthroscopic surgery.
Luckily I don't hardly change water on my tank because I will be out of commission for 6 months. No carrying, no putting on socks, no tying up the boat. But the good parts are, no shoveling snow, no washing dishes, no yard work, no throwing out the garbage. I am going to milk this for as long as I can.:smokin:
Surgery is next week.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Paul, you have my prayers for a successful surgery as well as a speedy recovery! Even though all will go well, and you will have a miraculous recovery you can still milk it as long as you like.;) No one can say if your in pain or not just remember to act like your in pain.lol

All my best Paul!:hug:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
good luck with the surgery. arthroscopic surgery had come a long way. you pretty much can go home the same day. i had one done back in high school. and was supposed to have an open procedure after the arthroscopic but decided not to.....i could live without the full rotation of the pitching arm hence the end of baseball(career?).
for me it's the physical therapy that kinda sux. and yeah milk it for as long as you can.....lol.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Is it one incident or could it be a lifetime of wear and tear?

He thinks it is from working 40 years in construction in Manhattan but who knows. I had the other arm done and I had 3 of them on my knees. This one has a 6 month recovery time which is annoying me. I don't care about the surgery but I am going to Europe soon and I will not be able to ride a bike or do much of anything and forget working on my boat. I have to get someone to put my outdrives on and paint them and wax the boat.
Awilda, the most important thing about any surgery is that you have good looking nurses.
I had some eye muscle surgery recently (yes I am falling apart) and there were about 6 or 7 nurses in the OR. They all had masks on and one of them said to me, :don't worry sweetheart, we do this all the time:
I said there is no problem, I am laying naked on a table surrounded by Babes.
They all went hysterical.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
typing with one hand so no capitals. got home a little while ago. they gave me a nerve block so entire arm is numb like novacaine. in a little while i will be screaming so i will type in capitals.
surgery went well and rotator cuff re attached, he used velcro this time so when i do it again, it will be easier to fix.
nurse was a babe and i enjoyed her helping me put my under wear on.
i have a sling that keeps the arm away from my body so i look like a real babe magnet. not that i did before but in my dreams i am.
i will just need help in a couple of weeks changing water but thats about it.
have a great day
paul

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
So happy all went well Paul!!! Now, for the second part. Quick recovery.:hug: Let me know when you want to do that water change. I'll come over to help...;)
He thinks it is from working 40 years in construction in Manhattan but who knows. I had the other arm done and I had 3 of them on my knees. This one has a 6 month recovery time which is annoying me. I don't care about the surgery but I am going to Europe soon and I will not be able to ride a bike or do much of anything and forget working on my boat. I have to get someone to put my outdrives on and paint them and wax the boat.
Awilda, the most important thing about any surgery is that you have good looking nurses.
I had some eye muscle surgery recently (yes I am falling apart) and there were about 6 or 7 nurses in the OR. They all had masks on and one of them said to me, :don't worry sweetheart, we do this all the time:
I said there is no problem, I am laying naked on a table surrounded by Babes.
They all went hysterical.

Well, the above does not work for me.lol There aren't many male nurses out there, and the few I have seen are not to my liking.:)
BTW, you are not the only falling apart my friend..... It happens to those of us that didn't sit behind a desk 9 to 5.:banghead:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
glad things went well. wish for a speedy recovery and a really cute physical therapist for you. actually hope that it's a she and that she is an 11....because sorry to say but rehab sux.

and no capitals for me because i'm lazy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: