Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
While I am appalled at the order on how our flag will be flown in NJ , I can not argue with the fact that she will always be remembered for her music. Much in the same way many others have been remembered ( Hendrix , Joplin and Morrison to name a few). I am saddened by the fact that some of you have taken the opportunity to bash each other based on your opinions , and yet the thread continues.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well said on both points

I could not find Rookies orig post..... But here is the response to his post.

Even if you separate the artist from the person, that still does not give them the right to have the flag dropped for them.

Even if Whitney was not a crack addict and committed suicide by taking too many pill and drowning herself a tub, and she died in a horrific car accident, she still would not deserve the have the flag dropped.

So lets look at the two!
Whitney the VICTIM who was victimized by being a drug addict that noone forced her to take drugs, dies by drowning from overdosing! Should we fly at half staff??? NO!!!

Whitney the saint who never drank, smoked, did drugs, or had sex out of wedlock, she dies in a horrific car accident when she had no control of it. Should we fly at half staff.... HMMMMM welll STILL NO!!!!!

Not by me, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is influenced by the entire picture.

Whitney Houston = Drug Addict not deserving of idolization
Michael Jackson = One less name off the Sexual Offender Registry
Steven Segal = Womanizer and Abuser of women
The list goes on.

I agree others are entitled to their opinions as well. Unfortunately some get blinded by the fame and fortune.

I look at it this way, if my daughter came up to me and told me she wanted to be just like Whitney, I would be very concerned.

I'm with you on this one!

Now when Hugh Hefner dies they should lower the flag, that guy is a god!!!

Since its becoming political... Can I bring race into this? Cause I sense that to be the bottom line.........
:)
I'm just saying
The truth Ruth !

I'm Nemo's mother.

That is just wrong..... :)

I think Wingo suggests is for them to willingly accept just 1/4 and donate the rest to charity, and not for it to be as their written in the stone pay grade. This post has been degraded due to the fact that some have started attacking what they wish to be as a tribute to the Ms. Houston. A tribute to HER GOOD works and NOT TO GLORIFY her bad decisions. About media coverage: Some groups in our society wouldn't get enough media coverage, because, they don't want it in the first place. Most military deaths have to be kept secret by military itself, it's bad image for the military to have couple of mortalities. Military even impose media blackout, so how, we general public give opinions if we should honor or not? It is then left within military itself to give honor, quitely. Besides, real heroes doesn't need media hoopla. Thats why they're called heroes, selfless service without expecting anything. They feel good about that.
If we say we have to look the whole picture, her death and drug addiction is just one color in the whole canvas of painting. Profiling her compared to some drug users, she's not professional user as some hip hop or rockstar who started early in life, just to have some fun whatsoever. She started most likely when her marriage started to dwindle, coupled by having a bad boy husband, who most likely introduced her to such bad habit. The whole picture must be seen when she just started in her profession, giving her heart to please the listening public, and let them feel goodbrought about by her angelic voice.
The people are giving tribute to her good works, which is a loss to listenig pubic and not to glorify drug addiction and addicts.
DOWN to drug dealers and people in power who let them operate in the neighborhood. :tired:

I think i am gonna throw up! Wingo said nothing about donating anything. He said they deserve 1/4 of what they make. Go back and you can read it for yourself. I brought up DONATION!

BTW WE NEED MULTI QUOTE ON THE FORUM!!!!!!

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
This thread is just pure proof that opinions vary from individual to individual and i see all the points made on this thread but guys realy , lets remember that we are here for the hobby and not an obituary listing , so let it go guys , jerseys probably scratching there head right now as the opinions spread out , forget it let it go! Hug your kids , and shake a cop and soldiers hand and thank them ...... Let it go.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I am no hero nor required people to call me a patriot, I am just a vendor here and, vendor, by definition selling thing above cost. To do the other way around, I should be registered as charity and handing out welfare for the needy. Because hero act is not based on income nor patriot be bought by higher pay. If either case is based on income, then these are business transactions.

What keeps an army in place is the notion of pride AND the pay. If people do it without the "pay" element, then they are truly patriotic like many secret agents have done it in their covert actions. Many of these people don't ask for pay nor praise. They did it for the country. AND please do not change my meaning. I DONOT say soliders DESERVE 1/4 pay. This is what you want other to believed I said and stuffed the words into my mouth or create an edge against me. I merely want to show you the elements in soldiers' profession. There is an element of pride, nationalism and pay too. Why I said 1/4 because without the 1/4 they cannot pay for their basic need and they will not be able to fulfil their job to fight for us and then they won't be able to be a patriot.

You don't know what I did for the government before and I have no need for you to call me a hero nor patriot but if you are war veteran I will discount for you.

I do salute the flag and respect soldiers. Most soldiers are the ones who DO NOT ask people to praise them, instead those who did, are usually not soldiers themselves. Imbarries, Paul B, Wolverine were in the armed forces and they did not ask people to praise them, they know what they have done for the country, this is noble. There are many Marines I met thru this forum NONE of them ever ask us to praise for their work NOR ever said they are under paid. They are noble. However, another members of another branch of armed authorities constantly ask us to respect them and said they are underpaid but on the contrary they did quite a bit to dishonor themselves like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meT8CJgEBQw

I agree the flag is not traditionally used for what the NJ governor wanted and actually it may be bad taste to do so.

Back to Whitney,
Hating a person with an illness or disease is morally incorrect

Our medical experts ALL considered drug addictions a disease or at least an illness. Imagine our doctors, physicians starting casting away addicts and claiming they are addicted because they choose to.

I don't like addicts at all but I won't hate them, I feel sorry for them. I further would not label them as crackhead, because labeling usually associate with hate.

Drug abuse has to have drugs in the first place, where do these come from, why are these legal or illegal bad drugs still here? How come they are not stopped at the production, nor on the tracks nor right in the street? Who are not doing their part of jobs? She failed in being a person of moral high ground but our authorities fail BADLY in not creating a better environment for citizens to live in. If we have to hate her, we should hate our authorities more.

In our own legal system, addicts are not criminals-they are just patients. Citizens can dislike all they want but authorities and medical people cannot because it's their jobs to look after them.

And people who protect choose their "profession".

Just like you chose to make lights others choose to protect the country or protect the public. And you have the gall to say that they should only get paid 1/4 of what they earn. As far as I know the US military professionals, do not get paid much at all. They are worth more than that. There is nothing we can do with for them in that case.

I would like to see you take your 1/4 of your salary and live on it and have a family. Better yet why don't you step up to the plate and donate 3/4 of your money to help protect people!

I'm sorry but you have to be the most un-patriotic person in the country, maybe you should join up with Obama and not salute the flag!!!!

Last edited:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Ok... I need to take this piece by piece...

What keeps an army in place is the notion of pride AND the pay. If people do it without the "pay" element, then they are truly patriotic like many secret agents have done it in their covert actions. Many of these people don't ask for pay nor praise. They did it for the country.

Do you have any idea what an E1 makes? You mentioned 1/4 pay... I made about 4x more after becoming a civilian, so yeah, our troops are ALL heroes.

I merely want to show you the elements in soldiers' profession. There is an element of pride, nationalism and pay too. Why I said 1/4 because without the 1/4 they cannot pay for their basic need and they will be able to fulfil their job to fight for us and then they won't be able to be a patriot.

Really... You can pay for basic needs on 1/4 of a serviceman's salary? I'd like to see you make it through a week on $372.75. That's 1/4 of an E1's salary for a month.

Most soldiers are the ones who DO NOT ask people to praise them, instead many did are not soldiers themselves. Imbarries, Paul B were in the armed forces and they did not ask people to praise them, they know what they have done for the country, this is patriotic. There are many Marines in the forums I met thru this forum NONE of them ever ask us to praise for their work. They are patriotic. However, another branch of armed authorities constantly ask us to respect them but on the contrary they did quite a bit to dishonor themselves like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meT8CJgEBQw

When did this turn into a police bashing thread? I would love to see the police go on strike for a day. Let's see if they're as terrible as you think. Soldiers don't need to ask for respect, regardless of their pay. Cops don't either, and if you'd stop watching the trash news on your local channel, you'd see what really goes on in the world.

I agree the flag is not traditionally used for what the NJ governor wanted and actually it may be bad taste to do so.

While it isn't actually law, the US has a flag code. This directly violates the code regarding our flag and is far beyond bad taste. It's disgusting.

Back to Whitney,
Hating a person with an illness or disease is morally incorrect

Our medical experts ALL considered drug addictions a disease or at least an illness. Imagine our doctors, physicians starting casting away addicts and claiming they are addicted because they choose to.

I don't like addicts at all but I won't hate them, I feel sorry for them. I further would not label them as crackhead, because labeling usually associate with hate.

Who mentioned hating anyone? Unless some new PC term has come up, crackhead is a term that describes someone addicted to crack. If you'd like a less hateful term, we'll call Whitney "Sucks back solidified cocaine from a pipe challenged". Does that make you feel better? I don't hate Whitney, anymore than I hate any other sucks back solidified cocaine from a pipe challenged person, who may or may not be soliciting outside of a cheap motel.

Drug abuse has to have drugs in the first place, where do these come from, why are these legal or illegal bad drugs still here? How come they are not stopped at the production, nor on the tracks nor right in the street? Who are not doing their part of jobs? She failed in being a person of moral high ground but our authorities fail BADLY in not creating a better environment for citizens to live in. If we have to hate her, we should hate our authorities more.

In our own legal system, addicts are not criminals-they are just patients. Citizens can dislike all they want but authorities and medical people cannot because it's their jobs to look after them.

You're right... we should start at the top. Which means that we should apply the same rules to vendors. Therefore, you are responsible for killing the reefs, and should be subject to the same penalties as those who use dynamite to catch fish.

Now... If you're done exaggerating and speaking of things you don't have a clue about... I'll go back to my life.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
When did this turn into a police bashing thread?
I throw that out to show you why someone mention about the "sworn to protect" and "badge and a gun"

if you'd stop watching the trash news on your local channel, you'd see what really goes on in the world.
I met them in my line of work before. I do not know much about NJ nor the better amount of other states, but I do know enough about NYPD. That's the real world. I meet them in first hand not thru the press nor imagination.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Wondering at what level of illegal behavior elicits this much scorn.
Will Rush Limbaugh be celebrated as the drug addict he is after he dies? Mark Walhberg the car thief?
It's easy to label a crackhead because the archetype is so fresh in everyone's minds. But let's apply this broadly and celebrate everyone's illegal activities when they die.
The Nudibar could be reborn as a post mortem profession of their sins in the eyes of society. I say well done fellow MR, we have ridiculed someone in their death.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Wondering at what level of illegal behavior elicits this much scorn.
Will Rush Limbaugh be celebrated as the drug addict he is after he dies? Mark Walhberg the car thief?
It's easy to label a crackhead because the archetype is so fresh in everyone's minds. But let's apply this broadly and celebrate everyone's illegal activities when they die.
The Nudibar could be reborn as a post mortem profession of their sins in the eyes of society. I say well done fellow MR, we have ridiculed someone in their death.

Hold people accountable for their actions... HOLY CRAP!!! WHAT A CONCEPT!

Here's a secret though... In this country we only do that to poor people... When rich people do bad things, we laugh and lower the flag.

Maybe if we stopped glorifying crackheads, pain killer addicts, car thieves, and 3 for 1 DUI superstars (it wouldn't be a "jacked up celebrity thread" if Lindsay wasn't involved) we'd actually live in a halfway decent place.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I throw that out to show you why someone mention about the "sworn to protect" and "badge and a gun"

I met them in my line of work before. I do not know much about NJ nor the better amount of other states, but I do know enough about NYPD.

So you've met every single NYC cop? Ok... maybe not every one, but you must have met at least 51%, because you couldn't make such a sweeping generalization unless you'd met all of them... or at least a majority.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Thought i already posted this.
For the record, i never said i was in agreement with NJ flying flags at half mass. I am against it, but i do not think that matters in regards to my post about separating person from artist.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Thought i already posted this.
For the record, i never said i was in agreement with NJ flying flags at half mass. I am against it, but i do not think that matters in regards to my post about separating person from artist.

It does matter. You can separate them if you'd like, but neither a crackhead nor a musician deserve to have the flag lowered for them.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
You can separate them if you'd like, but neither a crackhead nor a musician deserve to have the flag lowered for them.

Agreed. But i never said or implied they did.
All i said was, unrelated to flag level, that you must separate the artist from the person. I dont know why the two issues are being pushed together in regards to my statement.
Whitney was being bashed and it seemed that people were either all for her or all against her...im saying you can admire her talent/ability as a artist and still feel sorry or not respect her as a person...you must separate the two. Nothing about flags is in my statement nor does it even have a place in what I am saying.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I don't even remember what this thread is about anymore.
But I know Wingo and I will be there for my discount.
but if you are war veteran I will discount for you.
:usa1:

I also hate everyone equally and I don't think too many people here are anti American, anti police, anti mail man etc.
I don't think so anyway.
For the record I think I made in Viet Nam as Sargeant about $360.00 a month. That included flight pay, hazardous pay, overseas pay and combat pay.
Of course that was a long time ago in a different world.
Now it is time to raise my flag.
Have a great day guys and enjoy yourselves.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Agreed. But i never said or implied they did.
All i said was, unrelated to flag level, that you must separate the artist from the person. I dont know why the two issues are being pushed together in regards to my statement.
Whitney was being bashed and it seemed that people were either all for her or all against her...im saying you can admire her talent/ability as a artist and still feel sorry or not respect her as a person...you must separate the two. Nothing about flags is in my statement nor does it even have a place in what I am saying.

I'm amking it very clear! It really is no issue that she was a crack addict!!!! It just goes along with it. I would have made the same comments if she was the cleanest person on eart!

And wingo I know that there are tons of DRUG ADDICTS in jail right now. And now you are blaming the police and armed forces for allowing drugs into the country. Really nice.

Hey if I had it my way things would be much different but all the damn LIBERALS just blame other people!!!!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0

I also hate everyone equally and I don't think too many people here are anti American, anti police, anti mail man etc.
I don't think so anyway.
For the record I think I made in Viet Nam as Sargeant about $360.00 a month. That included flight pay, hazardous pay, overseas pay and combat pay.

Paul I have 2 things more to say and then I will try to bite my tounge (or fingers in this case) when the liberals reply.

1st I am glad I was able to get you a discount!!!!

2nd. Your last statements made my entire point..
You are a veteran and I truly thank you for your service! As I thanks each and every person in the armed forces fo their past, presentc, and future contributions to the safety and protection os the USA.

But when your time comes will the wonderful governor of the state you live in order the flags at half staff for you? One who deserves it? I hate to say but I would bet on a big NO. I know if this were the case flags would just remain at half staff for ever. That is why the flag lower should oly be for special occassions!!!!

That is my entire point and then it got very political.

I hope that this will be my last comment in this thread. But then again liberal comments just drive me crazy!!!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I will be honored to offer a discount to you.

But I think you like the MANLY MAN looking LED light you made more.

I don't think so anyway.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0

See, now you have the right idea. These 2 idiots are on my list too along with Brittany Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton...............and MY list goes on.

And xDaveX I don't care about race, religion, creed, sexual orientation etc, people with me are treated on an individual basis. The individuals listed are of all walks of life.

So in conclusion I'm not closing this thread but this is my last post in it. I respect your opinions, you have not respected mine and bashed me to feel more superior because you want to. I have not insulted anyone or called anyone anything with the exception of pointed out the truth about these celebrities. I will not be attacked personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: