JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Well, I've been meaning to put up a thread about my other hobby for a while.

I've been into cb radio on and off since late 1996. It's nothing like everyone that isn't into the hobby thinks it is- that breaker breaker 1 9, 10-4 good buddy stuff is a thing of the past.

I'm into what we call DX also known as skip. It's when atmospheric conditions let your signal hit places you never could normally through your signal skipping off the inosphere and landing whereever and that's who you wind up making contact with. Conditions as we call it can drop out after just a few minutes or last hours. But while it's there you can have a pretty decent conversation with someone across the country or in another country if you run enough power.

I've talked to just about 30 different states and have talked to Australia, Cambridge England, Puerto Rico and Nove Scotia along with a few others.

In order to run the power I run it takes pretty extensive modifications to your vehicle to properly run the amps. Yes you can 1/2 a$$ it like may do with hooking up motormauls--- that is pretty complicated to explain totally but it's pretty much a big capacitor that charges batteries off your stock alternator and then when you key up it activates the batteries you charge with it and keeps it separate from your cars electrical system.

I like with any of my hobbies go the more costly route and do it correctly by adding extra alternators.

So in my Jeep I have 3 extra alternators 2 300 amp alts. and 1 250 amp alt.

The truck is actually in Utah where my alternator guy is and getting the bracket system they're mounted on changed over from steel to aluminum. Here's some pics of what I have done to the truck:

The alternators-they're reverse mounted because it was the only way to fit them in and we machined a special pulley that drives the stock belt and the second belt that turns the extra alternators, first pic is of the actual bracket laid out before the installation began
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

The batteries the amps run off in the back that the extra alternators charge. The battery in the middle is charged by the 250 amp and the 4 on the sides are charged by the 2 300 amps, 2 per alt.
DSC_0590-1.jpg

The amps. The small one is driven by the radio that has a variable dead key(how many watts it puts out with no modulation) that ranges from 0-7 watts, then the small amp drives the big amp and then transmits out the antenna
DSC_0011-2.jpg

Grounding for the batteries under the truck to the frame crossmember
DSC_0003-4.jpg

The bonding of the body panels. You do this so that it in a way is seen as 1 big panel for the signal to transmit off of. You connect the doors, hatch, hood, exhaust and suspension subframes to the unibody to make it all one uniform piece with braided ground strap, you use the strap because it is easier for rf to follow something with more surface area than a closed insulated wire

DSC_0569-4.jpg

DSC_0570-4.jpg

DSC_0571-4.jpg

DSC_0572-2.jpg

DSC_0573-3.jpg

The power meter to see how many watts I'm transmitting, lets you see any fluctuation and you can tell somethings up before you blow up the amps and the volt gauges that let me see how many volts the batteries are at
DSC_0579-2.jpg

The line section that I soldered to the box of the last amp that hooks up to the gauges in the front. It's a BIRD meter BIRD being the company that makes the meters, it's the gold standard of power measuring and most professional companies-either radio stations or any other type of company that has transmitters that it's extremely important to have accurate readings use to measure their output. It works by slugs(elements) that slide in and are rated for certain wattage at certain frequencies- you use the slug that corresponds to your frequency and wattage range and you get a pretty much spot on reading all the time
DSC_0589-1.jpg

The controls to set the voltage on the 300 amp alternators. They're variable from 12-20 volts so I can get more watts out of the boxes by volting them(running at higher than 13.8 volts). Only the 2 300 amp alternators are adjustable from in the cab. The 250 amp is on a variable but you dont volt your diver it could overdrive the big box and blow the pills so I have that one set at 13.8. I usually run the big amp at 15.2- 16 volts
DSC_0573-2.jpg

The red button is to dim the volt gauges at night if I wish

The radio i use and the remotes for the amps
DSC_0578-1.jpg

DSC_0574-3.jpg

The first pic you can see the remote for the small amp in the dash
The second pic is the remote for the big amp

The thing I like is you can't tall anything is done to the truck at all from the outside with exception of seeing the antenna. I put heavier springs in the rear so the truck wouldn't sag from the extra weight of the batteries, battery box and amps-about 700 lbs in all.
DSC_0572-1.jpg

Here's a watergate(recording) of a guy I spoke to in Louisiana, just one of the many contacts I've made with the setup. I go by 736 in skip, it's easier to comprehend than a name, please excuse the cb lingo, I couldnt uderstand buck shot while recording the video but was able to after litening to the video, and as you can see they try to battle to key over each other and get called lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9JgyRqj48Q&feature=relmfu

Last edited:

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Cool. I still carry my Amateur Ham radio licence. Is that a Midland or Cobra? Your SSB? Do they still limit the legal CB power output level in the U.S. to 4 watts for AM and 12 watts for SSB? My dad use to run a 25W amp till we got into Ham Radio.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Cool. I still carry my Amateur Ham radio licence. Is that a Midland or Cobra? Your SSB? Do they still limit the legal CB power output level in the U.S. to 4 watts for AM and 12 watts for SSB? My dad use to run a 25W amp till we got into Ham Radio.

Thats cool. Never went for my license.

Neither it's an export radio, a Connex3300HP. Yeah legal is 4 on am 12 on ssb I believe. I never was into SSB nor does my radio have it so I never kept track of what legal was for that. Then again I never kept much concern on what was legal on AM, I just make sure where I transmit I don't interfere with anyones stuff by not keying up in residential neighborhoods.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Did E.T. ever contacted you? OR did you ever hear something you are not allowed to?

LOL NO but his cousin did try to hitch a ride one day:Hydrogen:

Nah never heard anything I wasn't supposed to. Any agency that has secrecy within it is in the 800MHZ or better or use FM. My radio has FM but I never use it. We transmit in the 26-28MHZ range on AM.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
That's pretty interesting... I used to be into CBs years ago. Was that a Cobra 148gtl that I spotted? So out of all curiousity... from what I am getting out of this is you have already modified for upper and lower sideband. Now are you using a linear as well on your setup?

:p

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
That's pretty interesting... I used to be into CBs years ago. Was that a Cobra 148gtl that I spotted? So out of all curiousity... from what I am getting out of this is you have already modified for upper and lower sideband. Now are you using a linear as well on your setup?

:p

No it looks like a 148 because of the amount of knobs and is almost exactly the same physical size so they look very similar. It's an export- A connex 3300HP. Has 240 channels (6 bands), has an echo board built in and has a hi/lo power setting for the dead key but I hooked up the variable to the low setting and it stays there and gets adjusted with a knob to where I want the system to key.

Heres what the radio looks like up close, sorry this one is my back up and is dusty from being in storage in the closet:
DSC_0041-5.jpg

I don't have sideband.

I actually run 2 linears daisy chained. The two gold boxes in the back of the Jeep are the amplifiers the radio drives the small one then the big one is kicked over by the smaller one.

Gives me about 1650 watts RMS and peaks at 5100 give or take a couple of hundred.

I usually set it for about 750-1,000 watt dead key and let it swing to 5K when I talk into it.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Really? With a 1000w dead key and 5000 while talking I bet your bleeding more than you think lol.

Looks like Radioactiveradio equipment?

I've tested it- I don't bleed on tv's until about 2 blocks away, once I'm within 50 feet the screen will go fuzzy. The new digital cable boxes did away with about 70% of RFI. I have speciific spots I transmit from, the closest one to houses is about 1/8 mile. I transmit when running the big power from stationary locations. I will admit though I do set off building alarm systems:Yikes: certain ones that are older and don't have a lot of shielding built into them. STS tire care on 107 probably doesnt like me much, but after the second time I realized I was doing it I don't key up within a few blocks of them either.

I also have a near perfect antenna system-1.0:1 swr 5100 forward under 5 reflected- I can listen to my FM stereo while keyed and talking with everything going and not have any interference and that antenna is 8 feet from my cb antenna. Am yes it gets cut out but FM is unaffected

You mean these guys? http://www.radioactiveradios.com/?gclid=CNmq5f6yva8CFQcTNAodaRtsxQ ? If so I would NEVER deal with that hack shop. Should google them sometime, they are a po box and they have destroyed more radios than improved. Have heard a lot of horror stories of people that used them. My tech is actualy in Holtsville on Waverly Avenue.

Jimmy once i saw all those gadgets inside the car i was like "oh man i picture jimmy's car in the next fast and furious movie" lol

LOL It would have to be fast to make the movie though. This poor Jeep with the extra weight and draw of the extra alternators ti does good but not fast by ANY means hehe.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
i thought CB radio/HAM were stationary. You sure have a powerful moving CB. :)

Yep it's pretty powerful, not near what some of my friends run- I know guys that run 60K +.

No not all are stationary. Base stations are in peoples houses and are stationary, but there are by far more mobile setups out there than bases.

I only run mobile and have never ran a base. I respect my neighbors, I want to run whatever power I want but I don't want to kill my neighborhood.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The next upgrade would be a pimped out mister softee truck with all your equipment. Don't you think the Gov't. is watching you, with all the airwaves you are emitting?

LOL there are some crazy setups out there, one guy called sha sha runs a van with an alocohol injected motor with nitrous to power his stuff up and another guy has a van with another 350 mounted in the back in a built in box that has 16 alternators mounted on it with a hand throttle. Some rediculously crazy stuff out there

Nah The FCC is extremely underfunded now a days so unless a police or fire dept. complains you're interfering or they have multiple complaints of you using profanity on the air you're pretty safe.

My power level compared to MANY is chump change. I mean anything is possible but I am always respectful and joking in a friendly manner on the air and I never use profanity.

There's a risk with this just like anything that doesnt abide exactly by the law but it's the way the hobby is. If you want to be heard now a days you have to run a lot of power.

15 years ago when I forst got into it you could do real good with 100 watts or so, now you need 500 or more to be heard more than a few miles away, the power levels have just gotten out of hand in ways.

There aren't many everyday mobiles that are on the level that mine is, but within the certain click I run in I am at the low to mid range power stage.

Like I said I have friend that run 60K +. One friend of mine runs over 100K and had to install a composite fuel cell in place of his gas tank in his suburban because at over 100,000 watts the signal can arc and cause the truck to explode. RF signal is just electrical current it's called watts but it translates to volts. As you go bigger there are more and more things you need to do to ensure your safety and correctly done heavy grounding becomes EXTREMELY important.

Sha Sha is in the van, T Bird in the suburban- this is whats called a keydown, it's a competition of who has the most powerful setups
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9qY6RXpdPQ

Also when you key BIG power with moisture in the air you get the corona effect sometimes, this didn't hurt the guy's equipment but you'll see the arcing on the antennas as he transmitted, on the suburban on the left you'll see the 2 bottom extra alternators below the truck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tez6N006H9k

Here's what you don't see in the videos, what it looks like under the hoods of these trucks to power the amplifiers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRDA64OegJY

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: