Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Besides, i wouldn't want to have to explain to the wife, why i spent $3K+ on a bike i hardly use.

LOL... probably the most valid piece of advice in this post.

Just don't get the entry level and you'll be better off. I just checked out Cannondale's site and now I see what you mean. Every year they change the model numbers and equipment that comes on them. There were a lot more trim levels before. Now it looks like you have to get the top end bike to get better equipment. Even the mid priced stuff has lower end equipment which kind of sucks.

The Quck CX 1 looks like it can be found on sale for $1100. But like I mentioned earlier, you can find a leftover with better equipment and possibly pick up the same bike for $850 +/-. Just make sure a good deal is the correct size.

The rear triangle, eventho it is a ridgid part of the frame itself, is designed to have some flexibility to absorb shock. So it's a pretty nice choice. Plus it has front suspension with a "lockout" feature.

Last edited:

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thanks dherrera83 and Reef Fixations for the continual guidance.

Given what you guys have said i think i will need to modify my approach in purchasing a bike. I think i will need to look at it part by part and see what is considered best/ideal for each and work my way up.

Its probably better that way anyways so that i get a full understanding on what i'm purchasing.

Do you guys have any good reference sites I can look at?

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Nashbar.com - I get my tubes and other supplies from great prices. They also have bikes for sale but i would rather you feel and test any bike you purchase. Visit as many shops as you need to in order to find "the one".

And remember it doesnt hurt to google the model you find at a shop and see what the prices are online. You can use that to request a price match... They are pretty good at matching it at most shops. Thats what i did, they cut 30 bucks off mine. Doesnt hurt to ask.

If you are in the city here are a few places that i visited that have a good selection.

http://treadbikeshop.com/
http://www.innovationbikeshop.com/ - They have many cannondales. The mechanic services they offer are cheaper than most.
http://www.metrobicyclestores.com/ - They offer 3 years maint with any purchase. Notsure if everyone does that but this is the only placed that offered it. However, they are a little pricey on mechanic labor services.

I am sure they have some in queens. You just have to look for them.

Save yourself the headache of building it when you buy it online unless you are good at it then it works best.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I don't know if you are ever in NJ but Cosmic Wheel is 15 minutes over the GW (in Ridgefield or Ridgefield Park, NJ) and the owner is always spoken highly of when fitting someone to a bike. He is extremely knowledgable and good guy. Better bike shops will have an adjustable model (forget what it's called) that they can use to adjust all aspects of the bike to your individual lengths/reaches and posture that you are most comfortable with.

Somewhat like the difference between a sport motorcycle vs. a chopper with gorilla grips. There is no right answer for your preference. If you go on Cannondale's site you can clearly see the seat:handlebar positions with the Cannondale Adventure vs. the Cannondale Quick or Cannondale Bad Boy.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
At this time, I really have no interest in going fast and competing. Off road bike rides and trails may be of some interest but i can't foresee too many opportunities to do so.

I only ride MTBs because IME they are much more versatile and practical for the way I prefer to ride. I can usually keep up with even the most avid Road bikers on their decked out competition spec bikes so I'm not losing anything there. As far as I see it the pros and cons are fairly simple. You do what makes the most sense for you.

Fatter tires= Pro: smoother ride, more forgiving, harder to get a flat with. Con: it takes more energy to get started because more of the tire is touching the ground ........................... tires available for streets, trails or both

Skinny tires= Pros: takes less energy to get started and you're able to go faster sooner (I think they may be available in Cyclecross treads as well)
Cons: harder ride, not forgiving, easy to pop and easy to damage a rim, harder to stop in the rain because of less traction (if you're riding nice & easy then it's not a factor), harder to be ridden on imperfect terrain

If you live in a walk-up and have to carry your bike upstairs than a lighter bike or folding bike is pro too.

A Bad Boy or a Quick CX (Cyclecross) can be used for both. When I ride in the city, I just throw on my street/light trail tires and pump them up to the maximum psi for more speed and better road traction and if I hit light trails all I have to do is release some air like when I'm jumping the boulders in Central Park. (if you forget to remove pressure and go offroad it is easy to get lose traction and get hurt... I got reminded the hard way)

Another good option is the Cannondale 29'er. Basically the same as a Bad Boy or Quick CX but because of the larger radius on the tire, you can roll over almost anything with ease. It's hard to imagine what a difference it is until you ride one.

I know MTBers that traded them back in because it was too easy to ride mountain trails because the bigger tires would steam roll over things so easily that it was no longer a challenge for them so they went back to a standard 26'er.

In fairness it is easier to "Taco" a rim because the rim is larger as well and the spokes have to support a larger diameter. Unless it's a higher grade rim or you take it easy. 29'er rims are the same as road bike rims (700c) but accept a wider tire as opposed to a skinny road bike tire.

crazy, that there is as much as a learning curve with choosing the right bike as there is in our fish hobby.:smash:

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Well after some extensive research and several test riding . . i decided to get the Specialize Sirrus Elite . . it was right on my price point to some wiggle room to get the additional accessories I will need.

So far i bought a light kit (LED) for both front and rear and a helmet. i will keep the parts as stock for now until i get a better feel for how the components work out and know a little better in regards to upgrades and such.

For those looking to buy you really do need to ride it to get what is best for you.

Any additional advice on what accessories to get?

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
one of these
22098489.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: