evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
;)

Hey MR Fam,

Well, as the user ID states, I actually joined MR while I owned a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR. The only reason I gave it up was due to outsourcing during the "GREAT RECESSION" only to find out that I landed my new job 2 days after I left. The sad part is that I was almost done paying it off and the prices of EVOs are skyrocketing because limited availability of good condition plus the fact that they are AMAZING MACHINES!

The bad thing about purchasing a vehicle again especially used is the condition is not the same as you have previously kept your vehicle. I am very meticulous about getting issues fixed and to be kept in a CLEAN state especially the engine bay. My engine bay for my 2000 Honda Odyssey is probably cleaner than 90% of vehicles on the road. 10% being new vehicles. Everytime I bring my vehicle to a mechanic they are shocked how clean it is. Every other wash, the bay gets cleaned.

Well anyway, I am purchasing another EVO and it's going to be sick! So I will be posting pics this weekend and figured others on here could post their sick cars as well! Both my hobbies usually involve individuals who are pretty unique and tend to be very well established in life. Though, these hobbies really hurt the wallet!!

Car details in the meantime:

Details:

WW EVO VIII
Engine & Fuel:

Black AEM Cam Gears
Gates Kevlar Timing Belt
Zaklee Clear Cam Cover
Stock 2005 VIII Turbo (10.5 hotside)
Kelford 272 cams
OEM Mitsu Head Gasket
L19 Head Studs
Walbro 255HP fuel pump

Ignition, Intake & Exhaust:

HKS DLI-II Ignition Amplifier
EVO IX Metal Blowoff Valve
ETS 2.5" Upper and Lower Intercooler Pipes
AMS 3.75" FMIC
Samco Intake Pipe w/ MAF adapter & K&N intake
Hallman Pro MBC Black
Buschur 3" Stainless Catback Exhaust for JDM 9 Rear Bumper
Stainless 3" Downpipe
Stainless 3" Resonated Test Pipe

Drivetrain, Suspension and Brakes:

ACT XT Clutch
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
Steel braided Clutch Line
9 BBS SE Wheels w/ BF Goodrich GForce 235/45/17
Tanabe GF210 Springs
GT Spec Front Strut Bar
GT Spec Trunk Cage
Perrin Rear Swaybar w/ Stout Mounts
Whiteline Roll Center Kit
F&R Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors
F&R Hawk HPS Pads
Both front wheel bearings replaced a week ago.

Interior & Exterior:
JDM 8 Tail Lights (Flat Black)
JDM 9 Rear Bumper
9 Seats
9 Steering Wheel
OEM Mitsu Window Rain Guard
OEM 9 Faux CF Dash Trim
S2K Shorty Antenna
Powdercoated White Valve Cover
X-Line DEFI copy 30psi Boost Gauge on Autometer Steering Column Pod

A few extra bits but will have to get them installed. Pics coming this weekend after pick up and I have to go to a party so got to get it DETAILED!!!

Last edited:

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Congrats on getting another Evo. Great car even though I'm a subie guy.

Where do you get your car detailed? I'm looking to get my car detailed. Know a good mobile company that comes to you??

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I actually detail it myself. I know guys that do it but why not try it yourself. The only thing I would get done by a professional in terms of detailing is maybe getting it claybarred and or buffed.

Washing exterior tip:
When you wash the exterior, you have to have two buckets! one for the soap and the other a clean water bucket to ensure that you remove any grime that is picked up and not get it in the good soap bucket. This will help prevent swirls on the paint.

Engine bay process:
For cleaning the bay, I actually just went on google to search for recommended methods and youtube.

I get the vehicle up on ramps to get the underside, utilizing plastic bags to cover (fuse box, sensors, alternator, and any possible wire exposure), prewash, spray with purple power or engine degreaser depending on how dirty it seems then get really down and dirty utilizing a tooth brush at times to wipe away any oil, then wash down.

After drying out the bay, the all hoses get hit with armor all leather spray to make it SHINE!

I can take a video of the process and do a fast forward to show you what I do. It may not be this weekend due to the party but definitely by next weekend.

Interior tips:
Remember TOP to Bottom! I, initially, brush off the top surfaces to get as much dust/dirt downward, vacuum, wipe down utilizing armor all. You have to be very OCD to get the little crevices and possibly take parts out to get around little openings. Purchased a bristled brush almost as big as your hand. This will be a big difference maker getting all the dirt into one location!

I have always had leather interiors so I just used armor and never had to SOAP cloth interior.

Last edited:

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
usctom

I have a slight guilt trip about buying another evo. I do have a minivan for the kids and I daily it. Maintenance is key for any car and the odyssey is awesome. Only problem is a potential transmission issue. I am scared when that may come.

My other options was a WRX but can't compare an evo to a WRX (non-sti). If I am paying premium for STI/EVO than EVO all day, so I opt that route. Price became moot once I could not find any other vehicle that would keep me happy.

What car do you drive now?

Last edited:

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I've never been into waxing. I wash my car regularly by hand but I never waxed it. When I was 19 and got my m3 I tried waxing it. I did the hood and that was it. I stopped. The daunting task of waxing the whole car just seemed like and endless battle I couldn't bring myself to fight.

Id rather pay a professional to claybar if necessary and two coats of natural wax. Just need to find a company with good reviews and a fair price.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
LOL I would be very nervous dealing with any company in NYC or boroughs unless a lot of reviews or a personal friend.

If I had a M3, atleast a newer one that cost 60k then I probably wouldn't do it myself either.

I'm sure another person on here can chime in. I believe albano has that vette or something in that league.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Nope, I prefer the viii/ix. The X is not a bad car in terms of evolving but the body style never grew on me. Even in Wicked White at most the exterior is OK. I've never gotten the feeling like "damn, I want to make love to that car!"

Since all cars are females to me, I don't have to say "no homo!"

I never drove in a X but from all the downfalls I heard from prior IX owners. I never even thought of moving onto a X.

Please note one of the big timer evo owners on TriStateEvo (TSE), you may have seen the banner on evos in the area. His name is Parkash, very nice guy, states that he does prefer the X and is actually running the X in the upcoming bullrun.

usctom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
usctom

I have a slight guilt trip about buying another evo. I do have a minivan for the kids and I daily it. Maintenance is key for any car and the odyssey is awesome. Only problem is a potential transmission issue. I am scared when that may come.

My other options was a WRX but can't compare an evo to a WRX (non-sti). If I am paying premium for STI/EVO than EVO all day, so I opt that route. Price became moot once I could not find any other vehicle that would keep me happy.

What car do you drive now?

I drive a Subaru forester and tundra. One day I'll have a car to play with. Hopefully sooner then later. I am always looking for something.At least the evo/wrx are 4doors.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Yup, the biggest draw back for an evo was previoiusly the interior. It was sh**** in the viii but with the better ix interior that really isn't the case that "subies" have better interior.

Besides the gauge setup and some carbon fiber pieces:

**NOT MY VEHICLE**
img2918a.jpg

I am going to do suede pillars and roof.

Last edited by a moderator:

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Yup, the biggest draw back for an evo was previoiusly the interior. It was sh**** in the viii but with the better ix interior that really isn't the case that "subies" have better interior.

Besides the gauge setup and some carbon fiber pieces:

**NOT MY VEHICLE**
img2918a.jpg

I am going to do suede pillars and roof.

This is the only cluster I need. Jp

That interior looks real nice. My wrx isn't that nice. Can't even put a cluster like that in my 08. Has to go on the pillar.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1362603183.369332.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1362603183.369332.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 290
Last edited by a moderator:

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Mods are actually listed on the original post.

I did however do the following: SE LIP, Beatrush license plate holder and the Vortex Generator.

Next is Carbon fiber side spats, ARC style shift knob, and Carbon fiber steering wheel insert. The steering wheel was dirty but cleaned so I feel a little nasty because the car isn't upto par from my standards. It's clean but will be cleaner. First cleaning took about 2-3 hours.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I believe it was 360~ awhp. I forget the exact number as there is no dynosheet. I will be doing power mods to get it over 400awhp in the future so I'm not too concerned with the current power.

Perfect car is handling, daily OEM+ exterior, liveable interior and 400awhp to put down almost any street driven car!

More pics in the future as I don't forsee myself going anywhere that is photoshoot ready. It is going to be a garage wh_re.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: