Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm with Beer, blitz her and be prepared ahead of time. Unless that doesn't work, she gets offended and starts a legal battle. Then it's a terrible idea... This might be the quickest and cleanest if she takes it though. If she starts to negotiate then you know it worked.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Go after her for neglect. She caused a fire through her ignorance and say you will drop the action if she leaves willingly.

Laws protect both sides from abuse but this is one of the few areas where they favor the consumer.
Saying tenants historically abuse this more than property owners is an exaggeration.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Just wanted to throw some things out there for you guys. Its actually been an interesting course of events since we bought the house. Might be helpful information for anyone. Plus you guys have a ton of different angles that you see the problem from and every comment helps in deciding the best route to take.

She's not living there currently, the HPD has issued a vacate order on the apartment since its unlivable due to damages. She legally doesn't pay rent while the damages/renovations are going on since she can't live there. Thats fine because the insurance covers income lost on the apartment due to damages so we're getting paid regardless although at 70-80% because realistically thats how much insurance will cover. Her lease is up in October, and we have to give her a renewal in August and her first payment would be when she moves back in.

She had plans on moving although i've been hearing that since we got the building a year and a half ago. She has three flights of stairs to walk and its been getting to her she keeps telling us. She recently asked us if we would allow her daughter to be the next signer for the new lease while she moved out to a place with less stairs. A few weird things can happen in that situation that would by law allow her daughter to move in, keep the old lease amount and leave us with a tenant that wouldn't likely leave for a long time. Before the fire we had an old apartment to use as leverage and the renovations needed to increase payment just in case we got stiffed with her daughter. She slipped and told us that her daughter had issues with getting an apartment due to landlord problems from before which is something we don't want at all. Her moving into a newly renovated apartment complicates things. We also always had the legal route to go if she moved out and her daughter started living there under her mothers lease but it would have been a long hard legal fight to break the lease.

We will lose a legal battle for negligence, she's been in the building for 40 years and there hasn't been an issue with her documented, without documentation it won't matter. The apartment is a mess, has a roach problem regardless of how much the exterminator is there due to uncleanliness and long overdue of a renovation but that won't matter when we present the case since the system is heavily on the tenants side. The most we can take her to court for is that she pay for any extra work needed to be done to the building that insurance won't cover but it would only be a small percentage of the actual costs once we go through the court system. That wouldn't even cover the lawyer fee's. She would still have a low rent lease and she would still be living there.

So yeah, everything is for the tenants benefit. If the fire had been the buildings fault, wiring that failed in the wall, outlet that burnt out, ect then I would have a few lawsuits on my hands that I would have to pay dearly for.

Anyways, her daughter and her BF told us that she might accept a buyout for the right price. We just don't know what the right price is yet for them. We don't want to take it to court. I would rather our money go to her and her money stay in her pocket instead of a lawyer, and my time to myself instead of spending it in court and i'm sure she'll feel the same way.

Financially it makes sense to buy her out, the increase isn't small, average rent in the area is 4x that she is paying, and our apartments can bring in 5-6x what her rent currently is very easily. The $$ amount of renovations the apartment needs increases the rent so high we can break rent stabilization and charge what the avg rent in the area is. The old lady that owned the building previously hasn't repaired or touched the building in 30 years and repairs add up quick.

If the newly renovated apartment gets locked into her current rent stabilized amount then we won't be able to change that for 10 years or so. Forgot the exact calculation but we are allowed to add in 1/40th of the cost of rennovation to the current rent when we get a new tenant. If that amount brings the rent past 2000 or 2500$ then the rent stabilization is broken and starts fresh with the new lease regardless if we charge less than 2500$ rent.

Everyone is a liability to everyone else in the building. When thinking about it, if this fire had happened in the middle of the night while she was gone it would have been much much worse. The apt across the hall from her has 5 kids, god forbid it was worse and spread to that apartment when they were sleeping and didn't get up in time.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If she's not in the apartment now, you have a perfect opportunity to make an offer. I'm sure she wants something permanent and a few extra dollars will go a long way towards finding that place.

Ask her to have a sit down meeting and make her an offer. Tell her that you understand that moving is expensive, and that you want to offer her enough to cover the move along with some of the additional expenses. Be on her side, and offer to help make her life easier, then go ahead and give her a fair number. If you can get significantly more for the place, you'll make it back quickly.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
If she's not in the apartment now, you have a perfect opportunity to make an offer. I'm sure she wants something permanent and a few extra dollars will go a long way towards finding that place.

Ask her to have a sit down meeting and make her an offer. Tell her that you understand that moving is expensive, and that you want to offer her enough to cover the move along with some of the additional expenses. Be on her side, and offer to help make her life easier, then go ahead and give her a fair number. If you can get significantly more for the place, you'll make it back quickly.

Get her BF to propose.....then get her to move in with him.

I agree with Beerfish. now is the time to offer her the money bc she is not living there, had damage to her stuff from the fire (so she needs new stuff anyway), and you can then charge more money for the apt. I say ask how much she wants to leave building (buyout), and then offer her 5k-10k if that is close to her number. I bet she doesn't ask for more than 10k!
Whatever she asks for, make sure you take time to answer so she doesnt think she could have gotten more.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Whatever she asks for, make sure you take time to answer so she doesnt think she could have gotten more.

I disagree, I feel in a situation like this you should try and get an agreement on price as quickly as possible. The longer you take to respond, the more time she has to ask around and do research. She may find time to talk to a friend that is a lawyer if she has one and figure out that she could hold out for more money.

Like beerfish said. try and have a sit down and documents already ready for her to sign. just fill in the amount and signature to get it binding.

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
Doesnt matter who caused the fire, there is no such thing as neglect. This is why we have insurance.
Anyhow, you are required to give her a renewel after the apt is fixed up since its rent stabalized. There is no way you can evict her since she has been there for so many years always paying the rent.
You might be able to increase a bit more since you are remodeling the apt but you have to check on what that $ amount is. To the landlord its always a loosing case, NYS always favors the tenants. Hope she is not very smart, she can actually sue you for not having a safe apt. How come the breaker did not trip if all these items were plugged in? Just saying... you gotta be very careful how you approach this. You can slap money at her but she might not take it...then what?
If I was you I would see how much extra you can charge for the renovation/upgrades.
Good luck...its a sticky situation.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hope she is not very smart, she can actually sue you for not having a safe apt. How come the breaker did not trip if all these items were plugged in? Just saying...

There is no cause for her to sue me for not having a safe apartment, nothing from her end was reported on the building in her history. Thankfully in that regard the laws aren't biased to tenants but would see me and her as both not responsible and she doesn't have a case.

Breakers only blow when there is an overload or short circuit on the line. By the time there was a short due to the melting power strip the fire had already started. Her power draw was within means of the fuses/breaker, the power strip failed her in the hot apartment. It just got too hot and something caught on fire.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
U gotta love the system this lady lives for 40 yrs in a apt for practically nothing and now your gonna have to pay her tens of thousands to finally fix up the property u own and lease it for fair market value!

brand

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Try to see if you can find a coop for her ,
but if income and credit is good and you pay down. Payment of course it would have to be in her budget 800... check don't know your area but in Bronx its possible. depends on how high a standard of living she needs. Money is not a motive if she can't cover her rent later.. good luck. If you need help in Bronx area. PM me I do real estate in Bronx.

krazime

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.5%
21   3   0
i have a friend that live in east village and the rent was crazy low. like around 600 range. they offered them 10k and they don't bother with it. where can you find a place like that cheap. Even crazier, i have another friend that only pay less than 300 a month near soho(spring st). The landlord offered them or even pay for a year of rent.

i would suggest you to keep the money and wish she has enough money to buy a house soon.

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
This situation must suck big time and I hope that you will work things out. Personally, I've been on the other end of the table recently with my mother's apt being sold to another owner. She was paying little over $700 a month after residing there for over 14y. I negotiate with both the prior and current landlord and was able to get her over $6000 + a new 2 year lease (with an increase of about $300, which still $300-$400 below market) + complete renovation of the entire apt including all new appliances.

This being said, she did stated that she wanted to move and that the flights of stairs were becoming an issue for her. As previously mentioned, I would strongly suggest that you sit down with her and talk it out, do not mention anything about the money and see what is her position. You then will be able to take it from there. If you will not reach a settlement, she will continue to reside there until she really gets tired of walking up those stairs. With regard to her daughter taking over the lease, she will not be able to do that legally and you will have to commence an action evicting her, which probably take anywhere from 6-8 months (in most cases). Additionally, if that ever would happen, not only her daughter would be out on the street faster then usual, but the original tenant will no longer have any right to the apt should she ever try to retrieve the lease. If you do agree on the number, I would lease the premises to a friend, a family member or just turn it in to a reef sanctuary for a year while paying over $2500 p/m then rented out for current market value.

Best of luck to you. Please update us on the outcome.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: