Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Probably best to have a pair to maintain signal strength on both ends. Don't have any experience with this device so can't comment on its abilities. The Q&A on Amazon mentions that the signal isn't very strong in repeater mode.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Here is the response I received from TP-Link about the unit:

[FONT=&quot]Does this connect to where one of the antenna is on the router?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No, this is an access point, you can choose the repeater mode to extender the wireless. When the device working in repeater mode, it needn?t connect to the router with cable or antenna.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does it only transmit N? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For the Wireless Standards, the TL-WA7210N support the IEEE 802.11n,IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What is needed on the other end to receive the signal - just a router? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you make the device working in repeater, it connect to the router by wireless, then it can broadcast wireless signal to more far, and they also have a etherent port, you can connect one computer on it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Or you can buy tow 7210, make them one wotking in access point mode, the other one located in other building working in client mode. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Does it have to be N and what about it being 5ghz does that mean I need a 5ghz access point on the other end. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The TL-WA7210N is a 2.4G wireless access point, so mostly it can just connect to a 2.4 G wireless router, if you have a 5G wireless router, please try to buy something like WA7510, the WA7210 doesn?t support 5G.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The TL-WA7210N has a Directional Antenna, if you want to make it working as a repeater, please make the location close to the main router, otherwise it can?t get the wireless signal form the main router very well.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Or if you don?t mind, you can try the client mode, the wireless will be more stable.[/FONT]

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I am still thinking of going with this:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WA7210N

I just don't know what I need on the other end to catch the signal, allow me to plug in LAN 5 devices and rebroadcast the wireless in my place.

* Many reviewers on Amazon indicated that they only needed one of these not a pair. I think they were just using a laptop on the other end. For my needs I essentially need to recreate the network again in my place (as if I had my own router).

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I need wireless also. I am just confused by all the terminology of what its called the part I need at my location. Is it an AP, bridge, repeater etc.

I really think I just need one to send the signal across (prefer 5ghz) then a 5ghz router on the other side. Just don't know what mode I need the router in to be able to use both LAN ports and to broadcast wifi.

Then we have issues of subnet, same or different SSID's etc...

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Yes, a lot of variables.

Subnet, doesn't have to be a different subnet than the source unless you want it be.
SSIDs, unless there's some kind of zero hand handoff/WiFi roaming technology, naming the SSIDs the same is only that and does nothing more. So you're better off naming it differently so you can tell them apart.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ok I have figured out what I need now the only question is 2.4ghz or 5ghz. I figure I will be going about 350ft across the street and into the brick building but line of site.

I found this:

Advantages of 5GHz:

The 5GHz band is less likely to be congested. The 2.4GHz frequency range is much more prone to interference, as it is commonly used by other wireless networks in the area, as well as cordless phones, garage door openers and other home appliances and consumer products.

Disadvantages of 5GHz:

In general, the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5GHz wireless networks. In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz signals, limiting their reach inside homes.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I got the units and hooked them up. I am able to connect to the network but unable to actually get on the internet.

Main router is 192.168.1.1, AP is 192.168.1.254 and I set second router to 192.168.1.2. I can ping each of them and I set subnet to 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.1.1.

What else can I try?

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I think it might be easier to move to a location where you can get FIOS. I have it, I love it, lightning speed on the internet upload and download, great channels, lots of high def stuff. LOL:funnypost

Thanks but not an option. There is Fios available on either side of me but they refuse to update the address where I am and no chance I can move.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If your neighbor is a boarded up shell, call to get in installed there, and switch the numbers on the mailbox on the day they're doing the install. Once the technician installs it, call them and tell them that they have the wrong number as your address and that the service is fine, but they should send the bills to your address.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ha I like how you think but I am on the corner. Another member here as been really helpful and hopefully getting this all sorted. I hate networking even though I am really good at it. Just always something with it.

DallasNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I have the same issue. Fios is installed and available in both buildings on either side of me. Neither had the infrastructure required, but it was installed after the fact by Fios. I was told ,unofficially by a Fios tech on the street, that they wouldn't install in my building unless half the tenants were willing to switch over..

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Main router(modem) is an Actiontec (M1424WR Rev. 1). It is connected via LAN to TP-Link WA7510 AP.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00731EX3E/?tag=reefs04-20

Then I am trying to connect this to a TP-Link WDR3600 (dual band) router to act as repeater bridge.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RV51EE/?tag=reefs04-20

I had everything connected with the AP and WDR3600 in WDS and could ping everything however it seemed only the main router/modem and AP could get internet (by pinging 8.8.8.8). I then read that the Actiontec doesn't support WDS. So I flashed DD-WRT onto the WDR3600 (secondary router) and am now having trouble getting that connected with the AP. It seems the DD-WRT settings are a bit different from the options in the TPLink admin page.

I also read that with the Actiontek you might have to assign MAC address filtering and am thinking maybe this is one of the problems.

Like I said I am fairly good at this but am kinda stumped at this point. Every time I go back I seem to reach some sort of new problem like last time I couldn't get into the AP despite being able to ping it but the admin page wouldn't load.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: