cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Does anyone work for or know someone who works for VZ? I am trying to get Fios which they have confirmed is all over the neighborhood but for some reason not where I am. I have checked the two addresses next to me and it is available. I have escalated to second level engineer and just got denied again (third time). Basically it is available but they just won't for some reason update my address. Does anyone have any ideas or connections that might help?

:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Not sure if it applies to you. Some apartment complex don't have the wiring set up. I am not sure if it is the same for houses.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Fios is a hit or miss. It all depends if the area/house/complex is wired for it. I had fios and switched to optimum cause of something they did and i didn't like it. Anyways my address had fios and 3 minutes down the road fios is not available..... I heard somewhere they can only upgrade a small area with the fiber optics at a time, because the cost is very high.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
The thing is it is available but address says no and they wont update it. I mean the entire street has it but my address. I just need stupid engineers to push a button on their computer.

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Run a line and drill a hole and tap into ur neighbors fios

smiley-laughing024.gif

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a jump box. Its a device you put on someones cable box and then you can get all there channels through the internet. The box is like $100.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
If you live in a complex its not a simple matter of "Pushing a button". The building needs to be wired with RG6 at a minimum to support Fios capabilities. There is also the issue of "Less than optimal" cable installs and amplifier useage. This leads to costly service calls and signal leakage outside of the structure. Unless you know the building is capable of supporting Fios you cannot just assume beacuase your neighbors have it you should also.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ok new plan of attack. I will share the internet but need some help. I am looking at this antenna to put on the wireless router (your thoughts?):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PFQX7K/?tag=reefs04-20

Then what do I need on the other end? I am not sure if just running an access point is enough or if I need an antenna on the AP (like window mounted / directional). If so does it have to be 5ghz to match that outputting antenna?

Any networking pros here?

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
If you're running 802.11b/g/n devices, stick with the 2.4ghz model. Off the topic of my head I think 5ghz is only 802.11a/n/ac. Since it's not a dual radio/band AP, it wouldn't be able to throttle down to a lower frequency to provide connectivity.

Whether 1 AP is enough depends on distance and any obstruction. If it's your next door neighbor, 1 AP should be enough. Unless you guys live in a lead box, then all bets are off.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I read that the 5ghz might mean less interference. I plan to run an AP (perhaps router w/ dd-wrt) on the other end, is this all that is needed or do I need another antenna? I was thinking of getting one perhaps that can go in the window with a long(ish) cable going to the AP at my desk. Basically everything will plug into the router/ap in my place but would still be nice to have wifi if I make it into a bridge?

Just not sure what equipment to get. The distance will be about half a block and there is line of site.

Ok I found this about the 5ghz unit:

It is important that you know that this AP broadcasts only at 5GHz. I discovered the hard way that most devices like iPhone 4s and below, most laptops and wireless printers do not support this frequency they are all operating at the 2.4GHz frequency. Unless you have duel band capability or are using it in client mode or in bridge mode with another of the same unit it will not be recognized by your computer.

Because it is directional what if I got a router to work as a bridge that supported this and rebroadcast the signal inside my place? As I am not sure I would receive the signal all over so maybe put router line of site with it and have new wifi sent out inside.

Last edited:

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I think it's the opposite. Stick to the 2.4ghz. It has better range and less interference than 5Ghz.
That's a nice antenna in the link. I've used ready made ones in the past but always like the DIY ones.
Depending on your budget you can build a pretzel cantenna for $5. Or if you have an old satellite dish you can build a parabolic one on the sending end.
Using dd-wrt on the sending end would be helpful but not really needed. It should allow you to crank up the power, you might want to add a fan to keep it cool if you do that.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ok here is what I am thinking. Connect this to Fios router:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA5210G-Outdoor-Wireless-directional/dp/B004PFQX7K/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1398758527&sr=8-15&keywords=outdoor%20wifi%20bridge&tag=vglnk-c23-20

Then set this up in my place:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RV51EE/?tag=reefs04-20

From reviews:
"With a lower price and more features than competitive products from Cisco (Linksys), this is a great deal. In particular this unit offers media sharing of an attached USB stick or any USB drive. The unit can be used as a Wireless Distribution Service (WDS) repeater. Set it up anywhere in your home or office and it will repeat 802.11 (WiFi) b,g, and n. It can serve as a AP (WiFi) only with your existing router. It can also serve as an AP and router to combine all services into one. Dual band means you can setup two different wireless networks (two different SSIDs) so traffic from one (for example media streaming) does not interferre with another (example voip) within your home network. (Of course that does not affect bandwidth to and from your office or home). For that, the TP-Link N600 does offer QoS support to preferrentially forward (and drop) traffic if you are having challenges with quality for voip, video conferencing, or streaming services."

* Or is this not a repeater?

If that is the case maybe this (and go back down to 2.5ghz):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NBL9WK/?tag=reefs04-20

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
2.4ghz will have more interference as our cordless phones, bluetooth, microwave ovens are on 2.4ghz. But as mentioned, 2.4ghz provides further distance. 5ghz compensates the lack of range with more bandwidth.

This is getting convoluted with hardware. If you're looking at the WDR3600, might as well get a pair and set it up with WDS with stock firmware.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=440

Edit: Missed the part about being half a block apart. The WDR3600 might not be able to see each other. May have to consider high gain antennas on both ends. Look at Ubiquiti products.

Last edited:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Thats why im thinking tp-link 5ghz high power antenna on one end. Question is what on other end? Want to lan at least 4 devices (prefer 5) and have wireless throughout. Hence my thought of repeater and perhaps antenna in window to catch the signal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: