Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
The day I had to hand in my master's thesis

The day i had to hand in my Master's thesis, I had gotten only about 5 hours of sleep the night before, but truly, it is amazing that I slept at all - so many ideas in my head, so much more to do, to check!

The day i had to hand in my Master's thesis, I woke up like so many other days, got my kids out of the house to school (pre-K and 1st grade), and sat down for one last morning, afternoon and late night of writing.

The day i had to hand in my Master's thesis, I considered my vices as I have ever day - will I chat briefly nearly hourly with my brother, my good friends for a respite from the brain-wearying tasks at hand? Will I log on to MR and search for pictures of other folks' tanks and great stories and intriguing questions to distract myself from the all-consuming drive to write a work as complicated as what I undertook to write.... (what was I thinking, exactly, saying I would do this the way I have said I would do it?????)

So today is the last day that I wake up with this on my plate. Today is the last day that I think of MR and chatting as distractions, and not as something I love to do that I set time aside for. Today is the last day that mornings with my children feel like a prelude to a day of writing and not enjoyed for the precious time that they are. Today is the last day that I take a shower in the middle of the day just to have something to look forward to all morning, or maybe take one in the morning to wake up and another one in the afternoon as a study break - a chance to imagine that i'm back in Eilat, underwater.

Today my thesis is due. I will hand it in as soon as I feel I can let it go - which will probably be close to midnight, knowing how particular I am. I will walk away from it for a few hours in the afternoon when I have to teach Hebrew School, but otherwise, this is where I shall be today.

Today all the work I've been doing, and all the thought I've put into this baby - today a part of that closes - and it will be in the hands of my advisors for some time, and that will be

GOOD.

Looking very much forward to meeting so many of you at the frag swap...

-daisy
Old 03-22-2007, 09:35 AM
ReefsMagazine!
Reefer Ratings: (43 (100%)
Friends: (38)
Send a Private Message
hey Daisy,

Congratulations It sounds like your thesis was taking up a bit of your time, lol. I wish you good luck and the will power to realize you are done, it's perfect, turn it in

- J
Old 03-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Lissa
Reefer Ratings: (18 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
I wish I could say the same thing.

My 75g Tank (ran 9/08 - 10/09)
40br Upgrade (ran 12/07 - 9/08)
29g Tank Log (ran 11/06 - 12/07)

The best advice I can give to any new reefer: FWE every frag you get.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:29 AM
www.saltwatercritters.com
Reefer Ratings: (211 (100%)
Friends: (80)
Send a Private Message
daisy, The culmination of all your research, studying, writing and fortitude are about to be appreciated by your advisor. Congratulations, sit back, enjoy your children (again), your tank, MR, and your memories of Eilat.

Now it's time to

Cheers!

swimmer
Old 03-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Send a Private Message
I've got 2 really great lesson plans pretty much done - 8 more to go

that will be added to the already 50 plus page paper that describes all the developmental stuff / rationale for the course I'm proposing... then re-check the bibliography and all the references

read the whole thing through again

print it and read it again

and who knows

i may actually finish ......

yeah, a "bit" of my time.

Let's put it this way - my 4 year old is excited about me being done!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Send a Private Message
Not yet time to party

that will be tomorrow

today still writing

but let me tell you

i will be partying tomorrow!!!

(possibly in my sleep, though)
Old 03-22-2007, 01:01 PM
in the coral sea...
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (19)
Send a Private Message My Facebook View Josh's Twitter Profile
That is so great, congratulations!

The culmination of all that work into one single document, I know how hard that can be. Tomorrow you will actually miss it!

Make sure you develop your other interests in the coming weeks so you don't get depressed with all the free time in your life, it is really hard to change gears like that, so make a plan for what you are going to do next. And of course, give some time back to your family who have been with you all along.

-Josh
Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Good luck

www.modeltrainforum.com
Old 03-23-2007, 01:43 AM
Send a Private Message
Brendan -- thank you! I needed it!

Josh -- how right you are. My four year old is so looking forward to getting me back in her life (I think my 6 year old didn't really miss me as much)

It was hard for them to figure out why they had a babysitter while Ima (mom in Hebrew) is in her bedroom on the computer...

So it's 1:30 a.m. and I've sent it to my advisor. No paper copy until later, thank GOD! The formatting is good, bibliography is nice and full (and not even padded...), and while there are not as many lesson plans as my advisor and I had discussed, I had good cause to cut that down (6 instead of 10) -- the entire paper was supposed to be around 50 pages long. This monster is 72!!!!! And I was not verbose!

....so - it's time for me to become asleep

and to wake up tomorrow and say

what the hell am I going to do with the rest of my life????

j/k I have a job already lined up... but no idea when it's going to start.

and now

i'm
babbling
blah blah blah. it's late and nobody's going to read this for hours anyway.

oh! as a treat, how about i enclose a picture! from when I was diving in Eilat this summer.

As a thank you for reading this!

in this pic - my avatar is me saying to my aunt (who has the camera) LOOK under this rock - and what was hanging out under there...
Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (110 (100%)
Friends: (136)
Send a Private Message
Ye of little faith..of course we're here now reading your post!
Congrats Daisy, for all the hard work and for finally getting your paper off!
I'll speculate that you will sleep like a brick tonight and will be totally lost tomorrow morning
So fling open a door, say good morning to the world and the first day or your new life!!
Best of luck to you on all that lies ahead!

...nice pic btw!!