Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Nail Caps

It's hit or miss on nail caps.... Nail caps are applied with a special glue which to me is just like crazy glue and the cap is actually a rubber like plastic that goes right on top of their nails.
Kittens are usually better to use them with, a full grown cat will take them off easily.
I got my kitten the caps but sometimes they would fall off because the glue was not strong enough or as the nails grew they would be pushed off and eventually when he got older he found out that he can just bite them off.
If you want to try and cut nails the key is to look at them and always cut the nails about 2cm from where you see the cartilage which is that pink thing in the center of the nail and do it quick without being the least bit nervous. You don't want to touch that stuff in the center it is painful to them and even as a kitten she will bite or scratch you and they can bleed from the injury and limp from the pain.
My cat allows me to cut his nails with a slight protest but he is much better than my girlfriends old cats. That would run at the sign of a nail clipper. The younger you get them use to it, the better.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
"feline behavior modification device" (AKA squirt gun) works just as well, especially with kittens. They learn fast!

It only works if you cat is afraid of the spray bottle. My cat could care less about being sprayed with water and in the end all I have is a wet cat. If anything he doesn't like being dried off with a towel.

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I've been playing with his paws without a problem. In a couple of days I'll try clipping his nails.

What do you think about him nibbling my fingers? He doesn't bite hard, but it can still hurt a bit. Is this a bad habit he shouldn't be doing? If he's nibbling playfully now he can seriously bite in at some point, right?

Also, are Siamese cats talkative? He meows a lot. (In his case it's still just squeakes.) I can never figure out why. He'll sit in my lap, purr, and meow. Or be crawling all over me, mewoing. I'm guessing it's not just a sign of displeasure, right?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
biting is okay. my cats will play around and bite/chew, they know how hard to bite without causing damage. it also depends on the cat I guess if they got mad they could bite in frustration.

are Siamese talkative :lol2: yes! they are the most talkative cats. get used to hearing a lot of meowing. one of my cats meows all the time, I gave up trying to figure out what he's saying. I don't think he even knows.

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Also, are Siamese cats talkative? He meows a lot. (In his case it's still just squeakes.) I can never figure out why. He'll sit in my lap, purr, and meow. Or be crawling all over me, mewoing. I'm guessing it's not just a sign of displeasure, right?

Is the sky blue? :)

Oh yeah! Siamese cats are talkative, probably the most talkative cats on the planet. Personally, it's one of the things I like about them. They also are very people oriented and smart. He'll need lots of kitten safe toys and play time with you especially if he's the only cat in the house. Jasper and Timmy are brothers and littermates so they've always had each other to play with. Alex had an older brother Spencer (may he RIP) who was less than a year older so he kept Alex entertained and taught him how to be a meez. Enjoy little Pippin, they grow up so fast!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My cat is a terrible furniture scratcher. I need to get her a taller scratching post as I know she likes to stretch up and scratch. She only sleeps in the little one I got her. Silly animal - KathyC, you owe me a new couch!!! (luckily the one I have was free :shhh:)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
My cat is a terrible furniture scratcher. Silly animal - KathyC, you owe me a new couch!!! (luckily the one I have was free :shhh:)

Uh -oh...:sad2:
Sorry about that Lissa!..should have told you that aluminum foil is good to hang in areas (like the arm...front of a couch) where cats tend to scratch...didn't know Cleo was doing that...

Dimitry..the chewing on your fingers is probably Pippin teething, hopefully most of that will stop when his adult teeth grow in :), as JH said, some continue to do it, just more gently.:catsmiley

..impatiently waiting on more pics please :)

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Pippin's hard to take a photo of! He's only still if he's sitting in my lap. Today he climbed on top of the tree I got him (but he can't get down yet), so I took a couple of pix there with my iPhone. (I don't have a real camera.) Even that wasn't easy!

He looks like he's doubled in size in the two weeks I've had him. Maybe not doubled, but definitely grown a lot.

Attachments

• Pip 6.jpg
    Pip 6.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Pip 7.jpg
    Pip 7.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 36

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Pics from today; he's just about tripled in size!

Attachments

• Pip 7.jpg
    Pip 7.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Pip 8.jpg
    Pip 8.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Pip 9.jpg
    Pip 9.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Pip 10.jpg
    Pip 10.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 39

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
He is really cute!!!!

My cats (all 6) have both cardboard and sisal posts. They all prefer the sisal, but use the cardboard as well. They are all adopted - some as adults, some as kittens. Whenever I saw them scratching, I picked them up, took them to their scratching tree, and rubbed thier paws on it. This helps scent mark where they are really supposed to scratch.

We broke all cats except one of scratching anything but the post. She is my favorite, and she only scratches an old wooden ladder so I don't really care :)

As far as biting goes, when Pippin bites, you should stop playing right away. This is what kittens do to eachother when they bite eachother too hard. If you don't stop it now, the bites will get a lot more painful as they get older :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: