Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Initially I was going to adopt a kitten from a shelter, but then a friend's pair of cats had a litter - and I adopted one of theirs. So meet Pippin. He's now just over 7 weeks old. His mom is half Siamese, his father is white/brown shorthair, but 2 kittens came out looking like the mom: Siamese. Like all kittens he's a very playful little fella - if he's not sleeping he wants me to carry him. He started going into the litter box almost instantly, so that's been a good thing. Enjoy the pix. :meow:

Attachments

• Pip 1.jpg
    Pip 1.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 162
  • Pip 2.jpg
    Pip 2.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Pip 4.jpg
    Pip 4.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Pip 5.jpg
    Pip 5.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 160

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
She's a cutie reminds me of my boy when he was that little ..
He used to climb my work pants like a mountain when he was that small then I learned about nail caps... (NO DECLAWWING)
Congrats! She's a beauty.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
awe, so cute! congratulations :catsmiley

NO DECLAWWING

I agree 100% not saying you would do it, but any chance I have to say no declawing I will!

I will say get him fixed when you can so there are no more unwanted cats, so many out there now it's depressing.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I found that if I keep the claws trimmed, and give them enough scratching posts things are good. of course there is always that one piece of furniture that will attract them. I saw some sticky pads you can use for that, also that bitter spray might work. I never tried them.

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
He's got a scratching post, but I haven't seen him using it much. He was chewing on my computer desk, I sprayed it with a "no scratch" spray and I don't think he's done it since.

Are nail caps risky for choking? Can't cats just chew them off their claws?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Put some catnip on the scratching post!;) That will attract him to the post.
My cats will only sleep on their scratching tree.lol One of them loves scratching my bedroom door casing. The other one likes the carpet on the floors. Go figuer atleast they are not scratching up my furniture.;)

Good questions on the Nail Caps!!

Sorry can't help with the nail cap questions. I know what they are but have never used them.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I got my cat declawed, which save most of my furniture and rugs. Even without his front claws he still rips things apart with his front paws. Also cats can do a lot of damage with their rear claws too. My cat tore my desk chair seat up and part holes in my leather recliner by jumping on and off of them.

adamrose

++ROCKFISH!++
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
like JHale said - keep your cats claws trimmed and there will be no problem at all. I cut my cats claws every 2 weeks or so - and he hasn't destroyed any furniture yet (he's almost 4). A good way to get them used to you cutting their nails is to play with their paws - so they are comfortable with you touching their paws. You HAVE to do this when they are kittens or they will scratch the crap out of you when you try to do this to them as an adult.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
good point that Adam made. get him used to you holding his paws and playing with them.

I'm not sure about the nail caps either. he might be too young/small for them still.

I have one cat that does not use a scratching post, but she does use a scratch pad that sit on the floor. some cats like to stand on something when they scratch, maybe they are lazy and don't want to stretch. they sell them in cardboard and in sisal. the one that gets the most use is a slight arch covered in sisal, both cats rip it to pieces.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Congrats on Pippin..he's adorable!!!

I'm with Adam too..great advice, you want to get them used to touching their paws young and trimming the nails with a regular pair of clippers is easy to do, you just need to gently squeeze their paw and the nails will come out.
A kitten so young is not likely to start scratching until their next set of nails is growing in (that is why they scratch..to remove the older nails).
The nail caps are individual 'gloves' for each nail tip, some folks have their vets put them on, others do it themselves. Way better than declawing.

My cats mostly use an artificial ficus tree (with real wood trunk) in my living room to scratch..and I replace it when they've almost scratched through it..and make it a ficus bush..lol
The cardboard (and sisal) scratchers that Jon is talking about are great and usually come with a package of catnip to sprinkle on the cardboard.

...and a water pistol comes in handy for letting a cat know their choice of scratching locations isn't appreciated :)

cybermeez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
BTW re: the nail caps...they work very well. They come in several sizes, but right now he might be too little for the kitten ones. I've used them on my cats, but Alex became allergic to the glue used to hold them on (pretty sure it's the same stuff Crazy Glue is made out of). His little toes got all red and swelled up like tiny baloons. Out of all the cats I've ued them on he's the only one that had a reaction. I don't use them on any of my cats right now. I've found that regular clipping and the "feline behavior modification device" (AKA squirt gun) works just as well, especially with kittens. They learn fast!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: