• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have 4gigs of ddr2 800 in my rig and XP will only recognize 3.6gigs of it and most apps only really need 2 is what I am told. Vista can recognize 8 or 12 I think. But you have to ask yourself what you need it for at that point. At 3.6 I'm barely using 75% of it when I am running any memory hog games or anything. It's the same thing with the dual and quad core processors. The hardware has outpaced the software and there are very few programs that are optimized for a dual core yet we already have quadcore processors..... If you are doing serious video editing, graphic design, or gaming, you might want that much ram otherwise I wouldn't worry much about it unless you just like opening every program you have at once.

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running vista 4 gigs is a mistake. Because when it comes down to it Vista simply is slow and sucks. If you want to improve your overall window Exp. Go back to XP pro. As it is considerably faster then Vista (which is a little know fact that microsoft does not want people to know) If you have the means Install windows XP pro. You will forever love it and you wont have to deal with vista compatibility issues. Plus 4 gigs would work better with xp then vista. If you need a copy of xp pro let me know I will try to get you one. But I have also heard you can still request xp pro for laptops that your are ordering.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i agree with chief n lfs.
however with the cheap prices of ddr2 lately ($10-$20 2gigs ddr2) it aint no big deal if u overkill.
just make sure u find out how much ur m/b n/or os can handle. this is predefine spec.
i just upgraded to a quadcore not cause i need it but it was only $10 more than the dualcore.
if they have a 8core for $10 more,i'll probabaly get that 2
with most name brand pcs now, u may b better off w/o any os. they clutter so much useless crap w/o your consent.

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
all the gig in the world wont matter if the processor can't handle it. what does the book say that came with the comp ? what does it say is maximum gig ? also the type of ram you buy make's a huge difference

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
AMEN!
All ram is NOT created equal. Ram is like skimmers, some are good and some are total crap.

I hate Vista personally but not because it's slow. If you really want speed go back to Windows 2000. It's much faster than XP, if you REALLY need speed install linux without a GUI. :)

inked

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
max memory on that system is 2 gig. If you are like me and open alot apps at the same time ie.. photoshop, ie, outlook, visual studio max it out it will definately help. If you use it for internet and email 1 gig is fine. as far as vista if it came with it leave it. On the systems that came with it i have yet to see a problem but i would never install it on system that is already running xp with a little bit older hardware.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Ok here's a few FYI's:

Microsoft is ending support for XP soon.
Vista is a memory hog most reading I have done recommends that you have 2 gigs of memory for vista alone then add more memory for the other apps running on your system.
If there is an updated bios from the manufacturer you can flash your current mb's bios and possibly increase the amount of ram and the proc size (check with the manufacturer this is only for advanced computer users)
Most people equate Vista to Windows ME they are both Poop.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
flashing the mobo for the ram and proc will only go so far as the actual hardware on it is the limiting factor. The board was physically designed to do so much. This is where you start getting into the higher end gaming/ graphic design hardware. Lol has Wingo even said what he was doing with it yet? Also, after doing a lot of research on ram, I found out that Crucial actually makes the ram for most of the bigger companies and sells it. It's usually cheaper than everyone else and the same if not better, depending on the type. Plus they have pretty cool heatsinks on their sticks.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
PCs suCk :lol2:

mac-pc.jpg

inked

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
crucial is the best place to buy memory hands down. I use the memory in all my servers, workstations, laptops and printers. I have had one problem in a number of years and it was fixed right away. On the tech side if you use there online tool it detects the ram you have in the system and how many slots are open so you dont even need to crack the case.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: