Rating - 100%
90   0   0
With our babies about to come home we need to get our cats out of the apartment for 6 months.

I am posting here with the hope that someone would be interested in this arrangement. There are three cats:

Ixodie
Kobe
Hermione

They really need to stay together, Kobe and Hermione are littermates and Ixodie has been with them for 7 years. They are all Abyssinians, truly beautiful animals.

I would really like to find someone who can board them for 6 months until our new babies are strong enough to roll over themselves.

The cats are in good health. One of them has urinated in our apartment but I think it is due to all the commotion and moving that has been going on around here. Aside from that we have seen blood in their stool once in a while. We will take them to the vet for a final check before giving them to anyone.

I really don't want to do this but don't have much of a choice at this point. These are amazing cats, totally outgoing and they LOVE people. You would have to give them a lot of attention. These are the type of cats that run to the door when they hear a doorbell to see what new and exciting person is going to come in.

Since this is a tall order, I'm offering to pay all of their bills (food, litter, vet) as well as something for taking care of them. I'd also like to visit once a week if possible.

Please PM me if you know anyone that would be interested in taking care of these wonderful creatures.

-Josh

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If you have some time, do some research. They find that children exposed to animal dander during infancy are less likely to suffer from alergies later in life and recent studies also suggest that our "germ phobia" is one of the reasons why we are seeing more immunological disorders. (Disorders where your immune system attacks part of your body) ;)

Up to you, but we were very successful with 3 cats and a newborn... Just need to take certain precautions. My cats avoided the babies, downright ignored them after a while.

Alfred

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If you have some time, do some research. They find that children exposed to animal dander during infancy are less likely to suffer from alergies later in life and recent studies also suggest that our "germ phobia" is one of the reasons why we are seeing more immunological disorders. (Disorders where your immune system attacks part of your body) ;)

Up to you, but we were very successful with 3 cats and a newborn... Just need to take certain precautions. My cats avoided the babies, downright ignored them after a while.

Alfred

agreed!

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
In all seriousness, there is a lot of cultural pressure from older generations as well as the old wives tales of a cat sucking out the babies breath... My maternal grandmother hated cats because they were "evil".

The biggest issue is with pregnant women. They should never get near the litter.

Your biggest concern is when the babies are OLDER. Once they start crawling and grabbing something interesting happens- they learn how to grab but not let go! Any "accidents" will most likely happen when they are older than 8 months. Dont forget to cut the cats nails REGULARLY. You would be surprised just how fast they grow back.

Second tip, is to let the cats "check out" the babies as soon as you get home. Let them sniff around the car seat(s) and when you pick up the baby, call the cats over. They will get bored very quickly and generally they learn that you and mom are VERY protective of the little ones.

One of my cats actually got protective of my oldest daughter. She knew when she was sick and would not leave her room, literally slept under her crib in the drawer. While the baby was in the crib or play pen NONE of the cats EVER dared venture into them. But when we left the house they made themselves at home, so we learned quickly to throw a sheet over the playpen to avoid having baby sheets covered in cat hair.

After a few "bad" experiences of a baby grabbing at them you will see a vanishing act- whenever the baby is in the room, the cats will vanish. ;)

Alfred

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Twins%26Sammy%209-15-01%201.jpg

We kept our cats, at first we were a little skeptical and worried. We never left the cats alone in the room with the twins. Sammy was the only one who was interested in the girls. My wife called him a guardian cat because the slightest noise coming from the crib he would investigate and make sure the girls were alright. He always stayed at the foot of the crib and would never try to get up closer to the girls. In this picture the twins were seven weeks old and home (out of nicu) for three weeks.

Steven

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Twins%26Sammy%209-15-01%201.jpg

We kept our cats, at first we were a little skeptical and worried. We never left the cats alone in the room with the twins. Sammy was the only one who was interested in the girls. My wife called him a guardian cat because the slightest noise coming from the crib he would investigate and make sure the girls were alright. He always stayed at the foot of the crib and would never try to get up closer to the girls. In this picture the twins were seven weeks old and home (out of nicu) for three weeks.

Steven
You know what they say about a picture Josh :)

I've had cats forever, never an issue with the cats, the kids bothering the casts is another story..lol
Your cats were more of a danger when Turan was pregnant.

I have NEVER seen/heard a cat sleep on anyones head and suffocate them...and they are too lazt to be bothered with such activites..lol
if anything (as mentioned earlier), they are incredilby protective. If you don't want them by the boys early on, just close the door and get a nursery monitor so you can hear the babies better.

I so totally agree with what Alfredo said about germs - I can understand your concern since they are premies, but remember everything is going to be a new germ to them compared to the NICU and your home is already utterly covered in 'germs' from the kitties, may as well keep 'em :cat:
...too clean brings on so many issues!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Josh, I am so much in agreement with all that has already been said.
I am only here to add my .02. We not only raised our 4 children around cats, but dogs as well. We also had those fears, but they were all proven to be unnecessary worries.;)
I do understand how Turan feels though, and if you guys still need the help, and you think your kitties can deal with my 4 cats, and 3 pities I am HAPPY to help.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: