Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
chemistry Potassium is important. Are you dosing? Should you?

Over the years I've become familiar with Potassium and its role in coral health in my aquarium systems. There are several products on the market now that are solely for raising Potassium levels.

Generally Potassium is not depleted as quickly as other elements such as Calcium, but it can get depleted over time, especially in tanks with Macro Algae, and soft corals.
Many systems are able to maintain levels around natural sea water (420ppm) simply with water changes. There are also small amounts in some trace element additives.

I personally prefer to maintain levels in the mid 500's to the 600's which I believe maintains a similar ratio of NPK as seen in the wild, since most reef tanks have higher levels of Nitrogen and Phosphorous than wild reefs.

For my husbandry regime Potassium is part of what I call my "Photosynthesis 2 Part" dosing strategy. I also dose Iron/Manganese, which along with Potassium is crucial for photosynthesis and chemical processes in the coral's tissue. I find some tanks that are lacking somewhat on color, but with all other parameters in check, are often in need of these elements to reach full potential. I will discuss Iron in more depth at a later time.

Some coral may not exhibit all their color potential without adequate Potassium. Dosing will noticeably increase Pinks, light Greens, bright Reds, and Magenta/Purple fluorescence, especially in SPS.

As with any new dosing or change in husbandry regime, take small steps. I often start off at half recommended dosage on the product bottle and slowly increase dosing over weeks or months. This will let you gauge the effects on your tank, and reduce accidental overdosing if you happen to be adding Potassium from other sources.

Anyone have experience with any of the Potassium test kits? Any recommendation for you fellow hobbyists on the easiest and/or most reliable?

Anyone dosing Potassium now? What was your experience?
Old 04-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Should prob post this over on general forum to get more hits. I'm interested too, following along
Old 04-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
pm you
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 PM
Reefer Ratings: (81 (96%)
Friends: (23)
Send a Private Message
I'm dosing potassium and Iron. However, I try and keep potassium around the recommended 420 level. I would like to hear more about your explanation of raising potassium to 600 level. I keep mainly sps and carbon dose to maintain low trates and Po4. I do have macro in my system with an inline refugium. I have been using brightwels potassium. I have heard that raising potassium levels too much can cause algae blooms. Please advise!!!

particular chalenge I find is an accurate test kitc to test iron and potassium. I use red sea with mixed results on these.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Reefer Ratings: (66 (100%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
Never did, which test kit would you recommend?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:48 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (22)
Send a Private Message
Fallowing ,very interesting !!!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellynel21 View Post
Fallowing ,very interesting !!!
yes, that is if mr. credible (no pun intended) comes back and replies to what he started. lol

Old 04-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Reefer Ratings: (24 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message View oh207's Twitter Profile
I don't measure it, but I recently started dosing RedSea Reef colors (ABCD) based on every 20ppm of Calcium consumption.
I'm hoping that if I stick to this regimen that I won't have to test for any of the elements that I'm dosing from the 4 different bottles.
I know thats a bad practice...you should never dose something that you don't measure...but it seems that RedSea's Reef Colors (ABCD) is a good system of maintaining all these trace elements based on Calcium uptake.
Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

---
Search for Cancer cure, search for Aliens, and search for the meaning of the Universe.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh207 View Post
I know thats a bad practice...
i agree...

Old 04-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
i dose potassium, since I have an algae scrubber.