Rating - 100%
97   0   0
If you are comfortable working with acrylic, get some black or blue acrylic about 1/4-3/8" and to the left or right of the overflow make a box in the shape of a typical overflow in a RR tank; glue it in place and make sure it is watertight. it should be slightly higher than the height of the tank so that if your drain gets clogged, it doesn't overflow into the "dry" well. For example, make it 5x5x5 and then you can keep the dry side in the "dry" well and the wetside in the tank and then you won't have to spend more money on an insanely powerful pump.

I don't know if you like the idea but thinking out of the box works sometimes.

Best of luck on your build, it's looking good.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
You can even make a 4 sided box that is slightly higher and put it in front of your overflow that way it can be perfectly centered maybe 1" or so off of your overflow drain. You'd just have to glue it to the bottom of the tank.

Another less permanent option would be to glue a bottom on it and weight it down and then you could place it wherever you like, but whatever you choose as a weight would have to be pretty heavy to account for the displacement.

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
If you are comfortable working with acrylic, get some black or blue acrylic about 1/4-3/8" and to the left or right of the overflow make a box in the shape of a typical overflow in a RR tank; glue it in place and make sure it is watertight. it should be slightly higher than the height of the tank so that if your drain gets clogged, it doesn't overflow into the "dry" well. For example, make it 5x5x5 and then you can keep the dry side in the "dry" well and the wetside in the tank and then you won't have to spend more money on an insanely powerful pump.

I don't know if you like the idea but thinking out of the box works sometimes.

Best of luck on your build, it's looking good.

Wow.. That's a great Idea. I would've never thought of something like that.

It's looking great Johnny

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: