Pop Corals

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
188   0   0
We are happy to share that we are equipped and able to offer quarantine services on fish that are purchased from the store. We do run medication in our separated store fish systems. However for anyone wanting to ensure that the fish receive specialized and full treatment we can accommodate.

- 400 gallons of quarantine tanks
- 200 gallons of hospital tanks

Please contact or ask to discuss options and fees. In addition we have a wide range of foods available and can work with your fish to get them eating to what you specify or prefer to ensure they are well adapted for their new home.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
And how much will this cost the consumer? Double of what the price is for the fish?
I personally feel this shouldn't be a service but something all lfs should do. Especially if you care about the health of your fish. Your charging more just to make sure the fish is healthy for sale? Plus what happens if we pay for this service and the fish still comes down with something? The argument will be its not there fault but ours

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Fish come from the ocean. Could be effected with anything. LFS have a constant flow of new fish so it's inevitable that their tanks get bad stuff. They can't run full hypo because then you bring it home and put it into normal salt level and they die. Full copper is stressful and curbs appetite. That's why they do low copper and/or low hypo.
Lotsa hobbyists who don't quarantine don't because who wants to set up and maintain another tank. Think a lfs offering a full quarantine service is brilliant. Something that is problematic for sure, but much needed none the less. Good luck and kudos to pop corals. For this reason alone, and not because i need this service, i will make it my biz to check out this store.

Rating - 100%
36   0   1
Agree with TheMeat, Not all of us have the space or time to set up a whole system to quarantine. I have a 80 gallon that is taking more than enough space in my apartment, a quarantine tank in my living room with a wife and two kids not happening. This would make it a little easier to introduce a fish into your system a bit easier. Questions like this are going to be asked left and right, is there any guarantees, whats the pricing, how long is the service provided for. As a business they can offer the service and as a consumer you can take advantage of the service or decline it and risk it without quarantine

Pop Corals

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
188   0   0
And how much will this cost the consumer? Double of what the price is for the fish?
I personally feel this shouldn't be a service but something all lfs should do. Especially if you care about the health of your fish. Your charging more just to make sure the fish is healthy for sale? Plus what happens if we pay for this service and the fish still comes down with something? The argument will be its not there fault but ours

As stated our fish systems are separated and are medicated. We run copper and prazi and are sure to tell customers of this when purchasing. However as another member posted with deliveries throughout the week there are always new fish entering the systems. Also unless you purchase a fish that has been in the system at least 10 days they will not have received a full treatment. Certain fish can not tolerate copper and therefore are not treated initially. Another area of concern with fish is not only external parasites (which are often easily visible) but internal parasites. This is true for wrasses and many angels in particular. So by offering this service we can custom tailor the treatment to the particular fish. They are able to be left alone without people constantly walking by and we can feed them what you prefer. As far as what happens after you take it home as you know that is a very difficult point to qualify. We can guarantee to the best of our ability that the fish is healthy however as in life there are no guarantees as to what the future holds but certainly work with our customers as best we can. There are many factors such as tank parameters, other fish in the system and mother nature herself that all come into play but we hope by offering this service we can further help our customers beyond what we already strive to achieve in terms of the health of our livestock and our customer service.

Prices! Will fsh be isolated frm othr qt fsh!

Yes the fish will be isolated from other fish. We have separated systems and can run the fish through treatment protocols in batches or individually as needed. We carry in our store a full line of medications as well as purchase in bulk medicine that is not easily obtainable to the retail community. We maintain an active working relationship with the manufacturers and have worked on many projects thus far to test and refine dosages and combinations that work best. The test kits that we use are also commercial grade and cost a great deal more than your average consumer grade units.

why not just sell quarantine'd fish?

While we would like to sell all of our fish as quarantined this is both very difficult to do practically without a very large and extremely expensive and labor intensive operation. Even Quality Marine which is probably the most advanced operation costing millions of dollars doesn't achieve this. Also it is difficult to explain to most consumers why the cost of the fish is so much more than say another LFS. So while we would certainly like to do this what we can do is our best to treat all fish as they come in and maintain medicated systems in the store. Again we are using top quality medications with constant communication with the manufacturers and utilizing commercial testing to ensure we are doing the best we can given what we are able to achieve.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A place that sells fish will now charge a service to Qt or hospitalized a fish. It should be in every intention to sell the healthiest fish. We know that's it's impossible to do to the fact LFS are receiving new fish every few days. But to put a service price is insane. Are you going to put warranties on these fish. Good intention but the LFS should not put a price on this. If you want to be known for selling the healthiest fish this is they responsibility to sell fish that are eating and been sitting in the store for a week. But today LFS are turning over fish as they arrive. That's the problem. Good intention but they are places doing this service for sake of selling healthly fish without the price tag.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
A place that sells fish will now charge a service to Qt or hospitalized a fish. It should be in every intention to sell the healthiest fish. We know that's it's impossible to do to the fact LFS are receiving new fish every few days. But to put a service price is insane. Are you going to put warranties on these fish. Good intention but the LFS should not put a price on this. If you want to be known for selling the healthiest fish this is they responsibility to sell fish that are eating and been sitting in the store for a week. But today LFS are turning over fish as they arrive. That's the problem. Good intention but they are places doing this service for sake of selling healthly fish without the price tag.

Yea today's Lfs are turning over fish as they arrive ,so having a place to qt a certain fish is a great idea even if it is going cost a bit more it's an option ...
And there aren't any placed doing this at the moment for the sake of selling healthy fish without the price tag

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yea today's Lfs are turning over fish as they arrive ,so having a place to qt a certain fish is a great idea even if it is going cost a bit more it's an option ...
And there aren't any placed doing this at the moment for the sake of selling healthy fish without the price tag

If you think that's good business than you found the right place for you. I disagree totally. His Intention are good, but it's they business to do the right thing for fish and the customer. Sorry will not support that.....I remember going to LFS and seeing the same fish for a few weeks knowing that the fish is eating and no out breaks. Today it's rare you see a fish you like and the next time you go LFS it's gone.

Last edited:

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I do agree this is a good idea but as a business don't you wanna be known for having the healthiest fish. Fish that are already eating and live more than a week in your system? I don't think you would want to be known as a place that charges you more for something they should be doing for the customer anyway.
Like I said before I do understand it's a business. These places wanna turn over fish as fast as they can. Knowing its not a good idea to get fish in and acclimate to there system. Then you buy the same day or next day and your acclimating the fish to your system. This causes a lot more stress on a fish that is already stressed. And you wonder why the fish come down with ich and all sorts of disease and don't live a week

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Good intention but they are places doing this service for sake of selling healthly fish without the price tag.
Please, name me one lfs that doesn't offer it's fish for sale before an allotted qt. Just one, past or present.
You know this paying vendor, one of whom makes this place free for the rest of us, is offering a service. You don't have to purchase it, but shouldn't turn their thread into a slugfest while standing on your soapbox about how they should guarantee and quarantine against all the possible problems fish carry with them from the sea. Hey wait, maybe they should just medicate the entire ocean to prove their caring for fish.
Don't be silly, do be realistic.

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
Please, name me one lfs that doesn't offer it's fish for sale before an allotted qt. Just one, past or present.
You know this paying vendor, one of whom makes this place free for the rest of us, is offering a service. You don't have to purchase it, but shouldn't turn their thread into a slugfest while standing on your soapbox about how they should guarantee and quarantine against all the possible problems fish carry with them from the sea. Hey wait, maybe they should just medicate the entire ocean to prove their caring for fish.
Don't be silly, do be realistic.

+1000000
Hell yea !
Lmao

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Now. Let's be honest with ourselves. This hobby is expensive enough. Yeah I know if a person can't afford it they shouldn't be in it. But as a person who has seen the list and the prices these fish go for(in case you don't know go on livestockusa.org for a idea. And they are one of the more expensive places)the mark up is bad enough. It's not the cost of the fish it's the shipping and handling that is expensive. And now you wanna add on another cost to the fish. So that beautiful fish you just bought for $200 they paid $25-$30 for. Add on shipping and handling the fish is now $50-$60. Now you wanna add on another service. But I know. There is overhead. The store. The rent. The lights. The employees. The deaths. The windex for the kids poking at the fish. The fish food to make sure they eat. But wait don't you sell out your basement or your sister cousin aunt uncles basement?

Pop Corals

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
188   0   0
If you think that's good business than you found the right place for you. I disagree totally. His Intention are good, but it's they business to do the right thing for fish and the customer. Sorry will not support that.....

Please understand that we are not saying that the fish we currently sell in the retail space are not treated as they are. Our filtration systems are large and commercially constructed below the store. We use a very large commercial RODI unit to supply the water, have over 600 gallons of reserve water ready at any time controlled with floats and solenoids, large skimmers and UV's, carbon scrubbers, triple bakki showers etc. As stated our main fish systems which are separated are treated with copper as well as Prazi and are tested with a very expensive test kit designed for industrial applications.

This is an additional service that we are offering for customers that may want ensure their fish has been individually treated and feeding on their preferred food before taking it home or perhaps don't have their own QT tank. Obviously we take great pride in trying to do the right thing for our livestock and our customers and continually strive to improve. So we welcome any and all feedback and will listen to your suggestions.

Just some of the medicines we carry and use:

• E.M. Pro
  • Metro Pro
  • Fungus Pro
  • T.C. Pro
  • Crypto Pro
  • Praz-Tastic
  • Aqua-Gold
  • PraziPro
  • Cupramine
  • Coppersafe
  • KanaPlex
  • Bactershield
  • Maracyn (I&II)
  • Chloroquine Phosphate
  • Praziquantal
  • Furan
  • Malachite Blue
  • Maracyn Plus
  • Greiseofulvin

So as you can see their are a variety of treatment options depending on the fish and the situation. I don't think any LFS fully quarantine all fish before selling to the public. This would require a larger system then the retail environment, a tremendous amount of water and medication as well as labor to do right. The best most LFS can accomplish is to medicate their systems and like pointed out no store is perfect. We hope that this is the right direction in taking the necessary steps to ensure the health and well being of the fish as we owe it to both the livestock and our customers to do the best we can. We hope that you understand our point on this matter. Certainly not trying to start any arguments one way or the other just trying to highlight what we currently do for our fish as well as what we are capable of.

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
Now. Let's be honest with ourselves. This hobby is expensive enough. Yeah I know if a person can't afford it they shouldn't be in it. But as a person who has seen the list and the prices these fish go for(in case you don't know go on livestockusa.org for a idea. And they are one of the more expensive places)the mark up is bad enough. It's not the cost of the fish it's the shipping and handling that is expensive. And now you wanna add on another cost to the fish. So that beautiful fish you just bought for $200 they paid $25-$30 for. Add on shipping and handling the fish is now $50-$60. Now you wanna add on another service. But I know. There is overhead. The store. The rent. The lights. The employees. The deaths. The windex for the kids poking at the fish. The fish food to make sure they eat. But wait don't you sell out your basement or your sister cousin aunt uncles basement?

Does whose sell out of a basement sister cousin aunt uncles basement?huh:smash:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: