Jean estevez

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY RECENTLY I GOT A 20 GALLON TANK AND I HAVE A 2-YEAR-OLD 13.5 FLUVAL IM TRANSFERING THE BIO MEDIA TO THE 20 GALLON SO DO I REALLY NEED TO CYCLE ? IM THINKING I DONT HAVE TO BUT CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Yes sort of, but you need to move as much of the original system as possible, including water and rock and anything else in the sump.

Make sure you keep the powerheads and return pump running at fairly high levels to deal with the potential die off. Make sure the rock is kept wet as long as possible.

Run activated carbon and purigen and filter pads in the new tank (HEAVY) for several days to weeks after the move.

Jean estevez

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sort of, but you need to move as much of the original system as possible, including water and rock and anything else in the sump.

Make sure you keep the powerheads and return pump running at fairly high levels to deal with the potential die off. Make sure the rock is kept wet as long as possible.

Run activated carbon and purigen and filter pads in the new tank (HEAVY) for several days to weeks after the move.
Thanks both tanks are running I’m taking the rock and a bio media to the new tank I also have the new tank running with some new bio media and I dosed some microbacter 7 to give it a boost

Guily

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you transfer everything or only bio media and rocks? what about moss or other plants? Your new tank running with some new bio media so cycle is necessary to help benefit bacteria growth.

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Do you transfer everything or only bio media and rocks? what about moss or other plants? Your new tank running with some new bio media so cycle is necessary to help benefit bacteria growth.
I’ve tried a few different ways and in both frag and saltwater. Transfer it all and adding more water to make up the difference and I’ve tired just bio media. Even moving a tank will make it cycle again. Once you disturb everything, you will see some sort of cycle. Some quick and short, others almost a full cycle. Fritz turbo start will help if you can find it. It’s the only bacteria that actually does anything. There’s a huge thread comparing them all on R2R.

Timfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're cycled. Been setting up and moving tanks for decades. Any disruption can cause various algae to become more predominate but that's different from have cycling which strictly speaking is establishing teh microbial stuff to deal with nitrogenous waste from fish. (And just in case you're not aware of this, the ammonia and urea from fish is corals favorite source of nitrogen.)

Guily

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a few different ways and in both frag and saltwater. Transfer it all and adding more water to make up the difference and I’ve tired just bio media. Even moving a tank will make it cycle again. Once you disturb everything, you will see some sort of cycle. Some quick and short, others almost a full cycle. Fritz turbo start will help if you can find it. It’s the only bacteria that actually does anything. There’s a huge thread comparing them all on R2R.
Thank you, I'll find the thread of fritz turbo start on R2R.
yey, bio media is need to be established but for a long term, it's more safe for the ecosystem in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: