Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my SPS and clam obsession has gone through a good workout, I decided to re-do one of my 75-Gallon tanks with softies and Ricordea.

I love a good, colorful, overcrowded softie tank!

This 75-gallon is actually the "sump" for my 75-gallon SPS and clam tank.

ric_4225.jpg

I am using a mix of Fiji, Tonga, Kaileni, and Carribean rock to give maximum diversity. I also used collected Fiji and Carribean Live Sand, as well as sand from several of our systems to seed this 8" DSB. I really like mixing different kinds of rock and sand to add variety to the appearance and biodiversity of the reef.

ric_4242.jpg

ric_4244.jpg

I am culturing some beautiful Ricordea Florida onto nicely shaped branches that is making some really nice pieces. :)

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Thanks!

It is lit by 440 watts of VHO, using three Actinic Whites and one Actinic 03 URI bulbs on an ICECAP 660 ballast. I also have an extra Actinic 03 40Watt NO bulb on a separate timer.

beerbaron

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palmetto":5bxm3ltq said:
This 75-gallon is actually the "sump" for my 75-gallon SPS and clam tank.
THATS AWESOME so where is the skimmer etc. i thought softies didnt always mix great with sps in closed systems. ive never had sps though so i dont know the particulars. i guess you dont have any fish down there? so its more of a coral filled refugium? very cool. How is it setup? could you give us a pick of the whole setup? id like to see how you have two connected 75s setup? does the sps tank sit above the other one?
cool
BB

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a Red Sea skimmer sitting on one end of this 75-gallon.

The top tank drains through a pair of overflows into this one, with a big CAP pump for the return.

I will get some shots that show both tanks today.

Softies and SPS do not mix in the same tank well because they burn each other, but I have not had any problems running them like this. I am certain there is still some chemical warfare to a degree, but without the stress of being near each other, I don't think they release as many toxins anyway. Just a theory, but I have not had problems running them together yet separate like this. :)

Markymarklar

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great refugium!!! i noticed you had a clam in there. what kind is it? i've always thought that clams didn't do well in VHO lighting. looks like yours is doing just fine.

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a big fat Derasa. With 440 watts of VHO in that shallow tank with a very Deep Sand Bed, he is getting plenty of light for a Derasa IMO. Derasas are found in deeper water on the bottom in the wild, unlike the rock-clinging Croceas and Maximas.

I have two of these 7" Derasas. Nobody seemed to want them, so I put them in here. :)

Palmetto

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/quote]
THATS AWESOME so where is the skimmer etc. i thought softies didnt always mix great with sps in closed systems. ive never had sps though so i dont know the particulars. i guess you dont have any fish down there? so its more of a coral filled refugium? very cool. How is it setup? could you give us a pick of the whole setup? id like to see how you have two connected 75s setup? does the sps tank sit above the other one?
cool
BB[/quote]

Here is a pic I promised showing the more sumplike view:

sump_4278.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: