ReefRian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food do you recommend (and brands) for soft corals, polyps, anthelia, xenia, mushrooms, etc...

I've been feeding them Coral Heaven from IPSF and a little Kent Marine Phytoplankton, but would like to give variety or find something better.

Everything is looking good in the tank and is growing.

Rian

ReefRian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, any help would be appreciated. I don't want to purchase something and it just be a waste of money or be harmful to the tank and it's inhabitants.

Rian

stlfishguy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use DT's live phytoplakton for my filter feeders and use coral heaven (targeted feeding with turkey baster) for my polyp's. I also dose iodide for my softies once per week.

There might be better ways but I figure if I'm getting good growth, why change.

ReefRian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stlfishguy, thanks. I also use a baster to target feed. I've heard about the DT but wasn't sure if it was something I could use. But I think I'll check it out.
Rian

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
ReefRian, keep in mind that some Octacorals like Xenia do not "digest" and live solely by photosynthesis and possibly cellular absorption.

JohnH

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certainly no expert, but I suggest reading related articles/FAQs at wetwebmedia.com.

Also, some/many of the species you listed are zooplankton feeders, not phytoplankton, so DT's is of no use for them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise xenia for resale, along with star polyps, and zooanthids. I feed very heavily to maximize growth. I feed a mixture of Golden Pearls and dried plankton, bloodworms, krill and flake food. I use a feeder to feed this to the whole tank daily. I feed my critters with addational food.
By the way, I don't know where O P Ing got his information about xenia not feeding but they do and grow much better with very small food.

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
CWA, what is your nitrate level in your Xenia tank? Is it possible that the small amount of food that you feed the tank are not eaten by the Xenia directly, but rather, help to keep a low level of protein product that get obsorbed by the Xenia? Just a hypothesis.

So a google search on the web or the reef newsgroup and you will find info about Xenia and digestion.

One of the evidences that I will accept is a partially digested food (e.g., GPs) inside the gut of Xenia after feeding. Without confirmation, we just keep our own opinion, until the other party got convinced.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no measurable level of nitrate. I don't really care what evidences you will accept. I suppose the reason xenia utilizes 90% of its energy to grow polyps is for decoration.

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
I don't know where O P Ing got his information about xenia not feeding ...
See the following link:
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm ... efault.asp
A few species, such as some of those in the genus Xenia, have a reduced gut and do not appear to feed at all.

Also:
http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/ar ... 0/4/121524
EricHugo: ...Neither clove, nor star, nor Xenia will capture or eat food offered. These are almost the only exceptions among corals kept by aquarists in that they lack prey cpture(sic) and digestive structures for such activiites. They probably get most of their additional nitrogen and carbon by direct uptake or possibly pinocytosis of nano and pico-sized particles.

Also:
http://www.aquarium.net/0998/0998_5.shtml
A few species, such as some Xenia may have a reduced gut, and not feed; ...

If you want more authorative reference, I can stop by the library and do a search for you.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the hell is the difference between direct uptake of small particles and feeding? So, damn it, if they don't chew their food like the rest of us, don't give em nothing!

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the hell is the difference between direct uptake of small particles and feeding? So, damn it, if they don't chew their food like the rest of us, don't give em nothing!

8O :?
Steve

O P Ing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Chill it out, man! You expressed your doubt about whereabout I got my information, and I just want to address that.

Now in regard to your last question:
What the hell is the difference between direct uptake of small particles and feeding?
.... :wink:

I guess p*ssing people here and many places else is my forte.

zooqi

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xenia need food.

xeniaanim.gif

Those who have xenias. I used Part A B C and they worke well. In one system my xenia did not grow fast and did not pulse untill I started adding Pickling Lime and they started to pulse the next day and have grown three to four times faster.
:)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: