105man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 54 gallon corner tank with no special lighting, very generally where (sand, low, mid, high?) would you suggest locating the following:

star polyps
button polyps
yellow polyps
mushrooms
leathers
carnation
colt

Thanks!

grav

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on how you define "no special lighting."

I don't think mine is all that "special" always want more... but I grow all of the above.

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch of mushrooms and some polyps really thriving in my 29, and all I had was a twin strip; run of the mill. For a deeper thank though you might what to really invest. 200 could get you a decent setup.

105man

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
Here are the light bulbs I have, both 24 inches:

blue (slightly fatter bulb) Coralife Actinic 03 F20-T12-BP

white AllGlass Aquarium 20w

So, please let me know how you would suggest upgrading. I would like to not throw off much more heat. Also, let me know if a special or different fixture or ballast is needed.

JD'sReef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your blue strip an Atinic?
If you are concerned with your heat then I would sugest PC's. From what I have read, they are the most cost efficient and coolest running. The only downfall is that PC atinics are not as effective/powerful, as a vho, but that should change in the next year or so.

I have one 175 MH with two 36inch atinics on my 46 and my room is about 5 degrees warmer then the rest of the house. I can only wounder about the Elec Bill. :cry:

grav

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 watts in a 54g is what I'd call low light.

I'd take a shot a shrooms, zoos, GSPs...

You want to get in the range of 3 watts / gal for the others. 5+ / gal for many.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: