jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Who is monitoring their potassium levels? I noticed that Salifert now makes a Potassium testkit. What level are you maintaing and what differences have you noticed in your SPS? What potassium supplement are you using?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Potassium tests are not very accurate. Haven't tried saliferts though.
If you have a potassium deficiency best indicators would be your caps. They will gray out and stop growing.

Thanks for the feedback. I never had a cap stop growing on me. I actually never even heard of a cap go grey? I know guys that are into carbon dosing get into their potassium levels. Assuming a tank already has great SPS color, I was curious what raising the K level will do to the colors???

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I had potassium issues when I used Red Sea coral pro. My green and purple caps had slow growth and a gray tinge in color.
Since I went back to ESV I no longer have issues.

What was your level when you had a problem? What was the K level of ESV salt?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I tested with salifert and red seas kits and the red sea came closest to levels in a new mixture of reef crystals. I check my potassium ever week to every other week

Do you ever dose K? If so which supplement? What K level do you have you tank running at?

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hey guys,

I am bumping this old thread to after reading Justin Credabel's articles on the subject.

Is anyone dosing, and if so, what results did you get?

Also... which test kit to use? It looks like only the Red Sea one is available nowadays... but I could be mistaken.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have the test kit from red sea. it takes like 30 mins to get the result. I used it 3 times now I don't care where my K level is :) My colors have been insane lately so I'm not too motivated :)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
"The U.S. Department of Agriculture reports that a medium-sized fresh banana that's between 7 and 7 7/8 inches long contains approximately 422 milligrams of potassium"

Somehow this can be figured out mathematically :) Damned if I know how to though :D

FYI, I started feeding a little banana here and there. The fish love it! Maybe I'll do a K test later to see if my levels have risen. Seriously takes 30 mins on a red sea kit though. So annoying.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: