cdamiano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
154   0   0
Chris you change your water every 2 months? How much do you change when you do a water change?

I change it every 2 weeks (bi-monthly). I change out about 15-20% of my approximate 300 gallon total water volume.

hmmm hows your sps growth?

I get decent growth.

Chris do u have alot fish ?

I have a decent amount of fish - around 20.

If you have a problem with high phosphates, then running GFO should definitely help to lower them. Like Mike said, just be careful to not use too much too soon and lower your phosphates too quickly. Luckily, my phosphates never seem to reach a point that I need to use it any more. My Hanna colorimeter phosphate checker always shows at or close to 0. I attribute this to heavy skimming, loads of chaeto, not over feeding, and having an established tank with lots of filter feeders.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Matt I'm gonna give you my 2 cents on cyano :)
FWIW I had a cyano outbreak in every one of my reefs over the last 15 years, usually within the first few weeks/months. It seems that whenever I increase my bioload I would get an initial outbreak. Now you can say this is from "higher nutrients". This maybe the case, but IMO it's more than that.

No matter how strong your filtration system is, there will come a time when something slacks. Whether it be from exhausted GFO, dirty skimmer, lack of water change etc. At this point in time your system will become dependent on nitrifying bacteria to process excess waste(could also be that filtration alone can't keep up). If you don't have adequate bacteria due to an immature system, it seems that cyano will appear. Is this to populate the tank with enough bacteria to cope with waste? I dunno. I can tell you that I will never use cyano remover again! My tanks never looks the same after adding this stuff.

It's been 6 weeks on my new system and I haven't gotten it yet, but I know it's coming. I have an efficient filtration system to prolong the dependency on bacterial filtration. When it comes I will do nothing but let it run its course. I might siphion some out during water changes though :)

Last edited:

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I Use Gfo But I Think Im Starving Y Sps They Have Great Pe But Look Faded Like Pastell colors. I Want Ti Cjt Back But Still Have Bubble Algae . WhaT Should I Do Less The Gfo And Change Water More Often.Its Like I Get Negative Affects When I Use Amd When I dont

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I Use Gfo But I Think Im Starving Y Sps They Have Great Pe But Look Faded Like Pastell colors. I Want Ti Cjt Back But Still Have Bubble Algae . WhaT Should I Do Less The Gfo And Change Water More Often.Its Like I Get Negative Affects When I Use Amd When I dont

Shorten your photoperiod. Your SPS colors will darken up.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
T5 Ru 1 To 11 Mh Ran 315 To 915. That Was My Previous. I Was Never Sure On A Good Period For Lights. I Have 2 15Mh And 4 T5 10 Inches Over The Water 16Inch.tank depth

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I run gfo .pellets and vodka dose to a denitrator ..my phos is usually 0.00to 0.03 on the Hanna checker .ive done the same thing for years when I had my 120 .now I have 450 gallons of water in my system one cup of the 5 cups of gfo I use is in the last chamber of my cal reactor

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
PO4x4 Phosphate Remover pulls 4x more phosphate than GFO

"PO4x4 Phosphate Remover is a new product claiming to remove up to four times as much phosphate as your traditional Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO). PO4x4 Phosphate Remover was developed by Reef Interests the same company that brought the original NP BioPellets that started the whole biopellet craze and ReefPearls to market. What is interesting about this product is it is another engineered polymer designed to specifically target phosphates in the water plus with a little effort, these can be regenerated for reuse. More details and a video after the break.

From what we can gather about this product, it does share the same color and the same size or slightly larger than your traditional GFO and works best in a fluidized reactor. According to the company, 500ml of this product can remove 3 ppm of phosphate and silicate from roughly 16,000 liters of fresh water or 8,000 liter of marine water. Since the product seems to work so well, they recommend adding small amounts of the product to gradually lower the PO4 levels without causing rapid and negative changes to the water chemistry.

With some effort and the use of specially designed regeneration salts, the PO4x4 Phosphate Remover pellets can be regenerated for use once they are full of phosphate particles. (CAUTION! Regeneration powder is corrosive and poisonous so you will need to be very careful when attempting regeneration!) The regeneration process calls for 150 grams of powder per 250ml of pellets to 1 gallon of water. After its dissolved, soak the PO4x4 pellets at room temperature for 24 hours. After that you will need to wash the pellets 5-10 times until the pH level is around 8.

Aquarium Specialty is carrying these for $21.95 for 250ml and $39.95 for 500ml of the PO4x4 pellets and are currently available online there. In case you are wanting to see how these react in a typical fluidized reactor, check out the video below."

This supposed to be the best, GFO. I give up on Zooas, i go most SPS, i dose Vodka, use large Protein Skimmer, no GFO , i use also ESV Active Carbon, i use to run Biopellets , i prefer Vodka,easy to control, also BB, no sand.

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Good GFO

Attachments

• po4x4-phosphate-remover_sm_2.jpg
    po4x4-phosphate-remover_sm_2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 319

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I think i will take my gfo offline. I currently use 18 tbsp of the standard capacity gfo on my 65g (70 TWV). For the past 3 hanna tests they came up 0.00 and on my RSP its hard to distinguish between 0 and 0.02. My nitrates have been pretty steady at 4ppm. I feed once daily. And I haven't changed my GFO in 6 weeks. So let's see what happens...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: