JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone use to keep track on those cool frags in our tanks. I always end up sticking them on a rock and then completely forget who I got it from, or what it was named. This time I'm planning on keeping track of everything I have and wanted to see if there was anything I should be looking at. I have the app Aquarimate on the iPhone that I use to keep track of maintenance on the tank and it has a feature to keep track of corals too, so I might just use that.

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
I just have a really good memory and can remember the corals and exactly who I got them from but one of mg buddies has a binder with printed pictures with the name ect. and relates to it all the time when I ask him what things are.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a really good memory and can remember the corals and exactly who I got them from but one of mg buddies has a binder with printed pictures with the name ect. and relates to it all the time when I ask him what things are.

You have to get more frags in your tank, last time I had well over 50 different SPS in the tank, and more in my frag tank. The worst was I got 10 frags from Sanjay and he labeled them all and told me about each one. I get them home, took them all out out of their bags, put them in a QT tank, and then my frag tank. I didn't pay attention to one of the names. He was not happy when I went back a year later and asked what the corals were.
:smash:

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
No I need frags out lol I definitely don't have as much sps as you but i have at least 50 different high end zoas and people can never believe when I know all the names

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your a better man than me, I only have about 8 different zoas and I have forgotten all their names. Come to think of it, I am bad at remembering people's names too. :D

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Joe when i remember I'll take a pic of the frag and upload it onto photobucket with its name and date I got it and continue take pics of them over time. It's pretty cool to see the growth and color change. I have a few corals over 10 and a couple over 15 years old. I just lost this huge pink pocci that was over ten. I looked it up and I got it from Andrew(montepora) that long ago. The bad thing about Pocci is as they grow there are only polyps on the exterior branches and everything dies within it. I needed the room and broke it up and of course once touch it never recovered.
BTW I still have that PFO dual 250 ballast I got from you how many years ago... I keep a journal for equipment and maintainance.

Last edited:

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will look at the app "colle3ct" and as I stated earlier I have the Aquarimate app, so I might use that as well.

I had been, when I would remember, taking a pic an uploading it to my own website to keep track, but with the new phones making it so easy to snap pictures I was looking for something along the lines of an app.

Mike, I'm glad the old PFO ballast is still going, I think those things were made like tanks.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it all in my head. I'm great at remembering where/who I got pieces from, pretty good at remembering when, and terrible at remembering names of things--largely because I don't care. --- "that yellow fuzzy acro from JBNY I picked up at the swap 2 years ago" is enough info for me :)

lol that is exactly me! I know who I got the frag from and when I got it. No idea what the Special LE ultra rainbow tyree cherry fox name is though.

BAD FISH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
if you dont know their names then you have too many frags in your tank
What? are you starting 12 step program? There is no such thing as too many frags...
Unless your a significant other of a reefer you do not believe in "too many" or "how much". I only know " I'm buying it and I don't care"

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Mike, I'm glad the old PFO ballast is still going, I think those things were made like tanks.
Yea those old magnetic pulse style ballasts do last, but unfortunately they lose their initial start up pulse power and although it will fire up most brands of bulbs it can't fire up new Radiums that I run so I'm using Hamilton magnetic HQI ballasts.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: