duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
It doesn't matter. Maybe this 1 acro doesn't like the conditions. We have all Ben there before. Every coral looks amazing but all of a sudden 1 RTNs out of no where. I have a huge tabling milli and a tabling red acro that gets zero light underneath but it still has skin. Not colorful skin but it's still there. I've also had corals STN and have growth tips and that happened when my cal reactor clogged and had a spike in ALK. Not a huge jump but that specific coral didn't like it. It since recovered

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
Slow TN at the base could be from lack of flow as Joe mention above or chemical imbalance like Alk swings .
So, check flow and mainly keep
ALK stable

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Duke - thanks for your feedback. I have not played with any parameters (and dont think will do). My alk has been stable at 7-8 for months. Just to call this out, this acro has been bleaching at the bottom for months and it is taking place very slowly, up the point that i was just fed up and decided to post here. Just saying this to rule out the stn/rtn diagnosis off the table :)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Duke - thanks for your feedback. I have not played with any parameters (and dont think will do). My alk has been stable at 7-8 for months. Just to call this out, this acro has been bleaching at the bottom for months and it is taking place very slowly, up the point that i was just fed up and decided to post here. Just saying this to rule out the stn/rtn diagnosis off the table :)

That is STN, unless you have AEFW eating it to that point, which is very apparent with the circular bite marks.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
that is STN over 2 - 3 months? but does STN happen only at a certain part of the coral (bottom) while the top is growing fine? just trying to understand

Yea it can happen that slowly, and is usually from the base up, leaving the top ok. I've had beautiful fully colored up corals with great polyp extension and recession from the base.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Bayer Insecticide.. wow that sounds too aggressive, cant i just start with revive and take it one notch up later? nly problem either way is that aefw seems to be too small to spot, i will try using a loop or something.

Revive is way more harsh than the bayer. Do a search on bayer as a coral dip. Lots to read.

ReefWreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
No. I would confirm first that you have AEFW, and if confirmed, give a dip. I have STN on one of my larger pieces, but I think it's an LED issue in my case, not AEFW, because I have done intense study of the colony and have yet to see any flatworms or indications of their (or other pests) presence.

For what it's worth, while Bayer sounds bad (and can be!), most corals have NO issues. You'll probably run more risk dipping with revive than with bayer. Most of the reports on Reefcentral have been overwhelmingly positive, which is surprising considering how everyone is using it to dip everything these days, and often with overdosed dips. Most SPS (mine included) have PE within minutes of coming out of the dip, and are ready to go quicker than any other dip I've done in the past.

I have been using a flashlight and magnifying glass, or sometimes my camera and a macro (and macro + extension tube) to really scour my corals for any sign of AEFW, bites or worms themselves, and haven't found any, despite one of my corals having STN on the bottom (while still growing nicely and healthy on top).

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cnfirm that you really think it is AEFW before you dip. The easiest way is to use a turkey baster to blow water over the coral and AEFW will become disldged and will show up in the water column. If you don't see any I would keep trying different dips, as it can stress the coral.

STN generally takes place of weeks or months, really in the absence of pests it will generally be either lack of flow, as I mentioned, or shading from the LED point source. when you are looking at the base do you see no tissue? or are you still able to see some polyps but everything looks white or very light colored?

I agree with every one that if you do dip, Bayer is a good choice. I have dipped many corals with it without any issue.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleached is different from tissue being gone. tissue being gone is from STN, which is Slow Tissue Necrosis (STN), basically the tissue slowly just comes off the coral working its way up the base or branches.

Bleaching is when the coral expels it's zooxanthellae (the algae that live within the coral). When that happens the coral turns white, as it is the zooxanthellae that give the coral it's coloring. With bleaching the coral still has it's tissue and you can even see the polyps when they are out, but they look white.

The difference is important to be aware of because generally there are very different things that are the cause if it is bleaching or losing it's tissue (STN).

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Upon very close inspection from behind the glass, there seems to be no round bite marks or nothing crawling at the base. The base has suffered STN as the polyps themselves are no longer, will try to take out of the water today/tomorrow and post some pics.

stay tuned

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: