richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Maybe management changed again. I swear every time I walk in I see a fresh new staff.
Probably around August time. I won't say negative stuff since I don't want to derail and close like last time.

nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Yea i know what u mean. but this guy alex thats there now he's the manager, he's cool. other then that, the staff usually bounces around. before ich enfested my dam tank (it was'nt a petland fish) i bought like 5 fish and were great: clown tang, flame angel, umm... couple other. i got a powder brown from petco in jersey and he spread ich like wild fire. killed like 8 fish. it was a bad case. saved a sailfin and yellow tang. anyway not a bad store. gonna buy my **** from here now that i found this site or suggestions from this site and petland occasionally.

nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
got one pic of the sump that's in my basement up there trying to get the rest off my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20110812_130128.jpg
    IMG_20110812_130128.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 140

nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
got the fish in a qt tank and i'm treating them with herbtanna. I dont think its doing much. Its been like 2 weeks, and there is still some white spots on them. And the other fish that died and could'nt catch i was treating them for like 5 days and they still died. Any suggestions?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
There are really only two options.

Hypo and/or treating with medication.

*In my opinion* Hyposalinity can be really tough to maintain, I know because I did it for over 4 weeks when I had an outbreak and ended up ultimately going the med route.

Not all fish can tolerate medication so that would definitely be something to research depending on your livestock.

I believe both hypo and meds can be
hard on a fish. Especially a sick fish. Hypo can take weeks to work and prove stressful for the fish and the aquarist. Copper must also be done correctly or it can be ineffective or fatal! (Lol damn this doesn't sound very comforting)

Hypo for 6-8 weeks can be very difficult. You need to really maintain the low level salinity when doing hypo-salinity. when evaporation occurs and your salt levels increase the ick still survives and you can start all over again and again. I would only suggest doing hypo if you plan on having a large 30+ gallon tank (larger the better) with a controller, Ato setup, and a good refractometer. With the time to maintain and Test daily.

Some other things you would also need are a lot of hiding places by using PVC or something else. Ick infested fish will already be stressed, an air stone is also advised along with constant daily water changes. I would also have a bottle of amquel on hand to battle any surprise ammonia spikes.

If you try hypo with a small tank it's going to be very very difficult. A 20 drove me nuts.

when things didn't seem to improve and maintenance was difficult I chose the medication route.

Also feed a good varied diet with garlic.

Last edited:

nuch

Babe it was on sale!
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
thanx. It's been like 8 days on med. So i'm gonna continue with the med for the 10 days it says on the bottle and then take it from there. Hopefully I do not have to do he hypo. And damn it from now on every new fish i add it's gonna be qt for like 4 weeks.

Wilhelm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
There is a Petland Discount in the Best Buy Section of the Staten Island Mall complex on Richmond Avenue and Platinum Avenue. I went in for an algae scraper but they had salt water fish and offered to preorder any specimen I wanted. Their livestock looked healthy and they had a small offering of coral, snails and invertebrates.

fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone knows yet, but Petland Discounts on hylan plaza has a saltwater section now. Its pretty good too. Fish look healthy. Tanks are clean. They have a small amount of corals and anemones.
I was in there two days ago. They had discontinued saltwater fish several years ago, but have brought them back. The tanks looked clean enough and well maintained, but there was almost no livestock...no corals, no inverts. Oh well...we really don't have a good lfs.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: