ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I know that's how I liked mine too but it seems like he'd rather have the fuge first that's why I suggested it in that order. But if you think about it though, wouldn't the extra the nutrients be good for a fuge over the fact of decreasing microbubbles.

My goal isn't to have the fuge grow faster with more nutrients. I rather have the nutrients removed first with the skimmer and the fuge picks up anything missed.

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks for the inspiration. This is what i now have in mind.

I've been throwing around ideas for a while about my sump configuration. I had the same mindset as Ming with the order or nutrient removal. Also (although this is my first fugue) I was thinking that the skimmer may get clogged up more frequently with cheato pieces and other junk if the fugue is right before the skimmer. Just a thought, could be wrong.

What do you guys use to make these sketches?! :grouphug:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to put the skimmer first due to a support brace in the center of the tank. the skimmer collection cup will not fit under the brace. In addition, i just realized that i do not need the 9 inch pane in the skimmer section. I can set the water height for the skimmer by using the first baffle of the bubble trap. That might make fitting things much easier.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will throw up another pic in a few. As for the purpose... it will mainly be a place to hold macro algae, super DSB, and some live rock for bio filtration. (I am a noob, hope i explained that properly). This will not be used for pod breeding mainly because before the water gets returned back to the DT it will be going through an ocean clear canister filter for polishing. I assume pods wont be able to make it past that phase.

Im assuming this type of fuge would require a slower flow, to allow the macro algae, DSB, and LR to work on the water. This is why i do not want to feed the fuge with the main inlet flow.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached is a new design. Also i would like to THANK EVERYONE, who has been commenting. You guys really helped me turn a very complicated, and possibly weak design, into something much easier, and what seems to be, much more efficient. Thanks again!

Attachments

• sump4.jpg
    sump4.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 65

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
quick question what size pump will you be running on this set up?
1" from the front is going to be to narrow, what will happen in a 1" gap is that the water will be forced thru with so much force, it will mot give time for the micro bubbles from the skimmer, and over flow from the fuge area to dissipate, if you can make it 1/2" more it would be better.
Also the 5" area for your return is to small, this is where all your evaporation takes place, the larger the better, or you will be topping off more frequent, unless you decide to go with an ATO.

What is the running water level for your skimmer?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O man.. that is a good point... Im not home right now. When i get home this weekend, i will get more details on the return pumps and stuff..... Now im starting to think, if i get rid of that center brace on the 55G tank, the design can just be a regular sump. Man... i love how this progressed.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i get back from, i will take a closer look at the tank and test the exact fit of the skimmer in relation to the center brace, and think up more options. I might also be able to replace the center brace with 2 off-center braces.

Man... this DIY stuff is fun.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... If i can fit this under my stand, i think this is the final design... I cant believe i didnt just do this one first. Seems like common sense to design it this way, as opposed to that crazy complicated first post.

Attachments

• sump5.jpg
    sump5.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 55

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
this design looks very good, just a couple of things.
1 -the overflow that you are going to put into fuge make a sray bar with 1/4" holes spaced apart 1". this way you do not disturb the sand bed.
2- If you are going to use an ATO make the last baffle 1" shorter then what you have, this will eliminate any splash going down and creating bubbles.
3- turn the skimmer 180 degress so it does not pick up any bubbles from the baffle that separates the fuge and skimmer, the pump will work more efficient.

Why do you have the skimmer on a stand?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: